Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehoming dogs due to kids allergies

• 05-07-2014 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

A random question but is this real or just an excuse people use to offload pets - I've seen it used as a reason (excuse?) or more than one occasion? How many other people here have pets and allergies... like me? I'm gasping for an inhaler as I type this but too lazy to go and get one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

tk123 wrote: »
    A random question but is this real or just an excuse people use to offload pets - I've seen it used as a reason (excuse?) or more than one occasion? How many other people here have pets and allergies... like me? I'm gasping for an inhaler as I type this but too lazy to go and get one!

I'm going to have to be honest and say I think alot if the times it's used as an excuse. It's an easy excuse where they feel people are less likely to judge etc.

I know two families one where a child has asthma and one allergies.. On both occasions doctors said pet were to go. Both cases families worked hard to keep the dogs, constant brushing, clipping, hoovering the house , all carpet removed from the houses and some alternative treatments and low and behold all are living together with no problems!

It's the doctors IF someone had asthma and allergies the doctors are quick to say pets must go but in my opinion in many cases it's a lazy way out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cocker5 wrote: »
    I Both cases families worked hard to keep the dogs, constant brushing, clipping, hoovering the house , all carpet removed from the houses and some alternative treatments and low and behold all are living together with no problems!

Sounds like our house lol!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

tk123 wrote: »
    Sounds like our house lol!! :p

I personally think in many cases it can work (not 100% of the time) but in many cases dog owners are lazy, take the easy way out instead of researching .. And trying to work things out! But that just me!

With the amount of dogs being rehomed due to allergies and due to immigration or moving to apartment.. We must have the sickest kids in the world, living in one bed apartments... I just don't buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm pregnant at the moment and I never considered it could have an allergy. That would be a nightmare!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm pregnant at the moment and I never considered it could have an allergy. That would be a nightmare!

Just swaddle the baby in vet bed to build immunity! :pac::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There is probably as much fur on my couches :cool: I have it that way on purpose - to build immunity. (that's a great excuse for not cleaning, thanks TK!)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

A good friend of mine has severe asthma and had several hospitalizations as a child. Never once did her family get rid of the pets, and they always had a dog.

Since she's moved out and got married and had children of her own she'd love to get a dog, but everytime she goes home now, or to her sisters house she reacts badly to their dogs, she needs to acclimatize herself again to having a pet in the house to build up her defences.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I know someone that got a dog about a year ago, his daughter is allergic to dogs but he still has the dog around the child all the time. I thought it was madness for him to get a dog in the first place.
    If he does give the dog up at any point that will probably lying be used as the excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have a dog allergy. After a grooming session its bad! However I also have severe hayfever.

I just have to live with it. No way am I giving up my dogs. The wire coated dogs affect me less.

Advertisement