Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places for Walking Dog around Westport

Options
  • 05-07-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone recommend anywhere around the Westport area for walking a dog (on leash) apart from the obvious beaches, etc? Good forests or woods? Are there touristy places dogs aren't allowed - eg Westport House? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Hi, can anyone recommend anywhere around the Westport area for walking a dog (on leash) apart from the obvious beaches, etc? Good forests or woods? Are there touristy places dogs aren't allowed - eg Westport House? Thanks in advance.

Wpt town to Quay greenway?

Can go in at the old cattlepass on Altamount St, opposite the school. Can leave it at various points - Mill St Carpark, High St, Leenane Road, or continue to Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The sand dunes at Bertra were/are quite a popular place for dogs to get a run out although I haven't been out since the storms so I'm not sure if they are still there!

I wish there was an enclosed 'dog run' where you could have the dog off the leash for a good run around or game of ball without causing distress to other dogs/owners who may not like the idea.

Our fella (a springer) loves to run but his recall is poor and he loves other dogs company. Unfortunately - although I completely understand - some dog owners don't like this so I can only let him off lead at the pitch out the point (at crazy hours when there is no one else around) or at the pitch off the Greenway on the way to Knockranny (this would be an ideal location for a 'dog run').

I have to say for the most part that around Westport dog owners are pretty good at cleaning up after their dogs in comparison to the Prom in Galway, which is an absolute mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭mapaca

The greenway is great, there's miles of it, you can have a different walk every time.

Dogs are allowed in Westport House, but they have to be kept on the lead. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BubbleBuddy

Thanks, yes. Want to take the dog as many places as we can around the area so knowing in advance he's allowed will save us hassle and a drive home. I had read that dogs weren't allowed near the Greenway, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Thanks, yes. Want to take the dog as many places as we can around the area so knowing in advance he's allowed will save us hassle and a drive home. I had read that dogs weren't allowed near the Greenway, is this true?

Never heard of such a regulation.

However imho a dog should be on a leash in consideration of the number of people cycling there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭BubbleBuddy

nuac wrote: »
    Never heard of such a regulation.

However imho a dog should be on a leash in consideration of the number of people cycling there

Absolutely, we'd never see him again if he wasn't on leash! Thanks for info, hopefully weather will allow us, I hear it's a great walk.

Advertisement