Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

off road cycling paths

• 05-07-2014 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭

Any off road cycling paths near Limerick city.

Looking for something for a normal cyclist rather than mountain tracks.

I was thinking of the bank from Dublin Rd to Plassey, is cycling allowed along this route?

Ideally to make it a bit more interesting I'd like a loop route.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I used to cycle from UL out to Annacotty or into town by the Shannon when I was in UL.

It's a lovely cycle and no real mountain bike skills are needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

phog wrote: »

I was thinking of the bank from Dublin Rd to Plassey, is cycling allowed along this route?

That route is quite popular with both walkers and cyclists.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I used to cycle from UL out to Annacotty or into town by the Shannon when I was in UL.

It's a lovely cycle and no real mountain bike skills are needed.

if you do the UL-town route, take the turn near the Guinness bridge which will take you to The Irish Estates in Corbally. Very nice cycling and walking route along the river which was recently done up - it even has an outdoor gym along the way. The path is tarmac most of the way and is popular with walkers and cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

lockman wrote: »
    That route is quite popular with both walkers and cyclists.

if you do the UL-town route, take the turn near the Guinness bridge which will take you to The Irish Estates in Corbally. Very nice cycling and walking route along the river which was recently done up - it even has an outdoor gym along the way. The path is tarmac most of the way and is popular with walkers and cyclists.

The Guinness bridge, is that between the bridge over the canal at Park and the new bridge at the Absolute Hotel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

That's it alright. As the graphic suggests, the bridge is located at the point where the canal meets the river.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions.

I thought that bridge was removed years ago :-(

I must give it a go during the week, must get my bike roadworthy first.

I've never been up Cratloe but I'd imagine there has to be a few off road roads (if that makes sense!) up that way which wouldn't be too hairy.

I've never been up Cratloe but I'd imagine there has to be a few off road roads (if that makes sense!) up that way which wouldn't be too hairy.

I went out Plassey today (walking), rear wheel of bike bulged out so must replace the tube. Plassey is certainly a perfect route for cycling.

Cratloe is ok but the roads/tracks are very rough for normal bicycles. I use it a lot for walking but have only cycled there once and didn't like it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The new chippings on the trails in Cratloe are a nightmare for regular bikes. Not great for running either! It'll probably be grand again after another year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Ideally to make it a bit more interesting I'd like a loop route.

The route from Corbally along the river to UL and beyond is a really nice walk/cycle.

Out at Curraghchase Forest Park there is a few looped trails which are suitable for regular bikes and are lovely. There was a lot of damage done by the big storm so you'd want to check first if it's reopened.

If you can get out to Rathkeale you can join the Great Southern Trail (GST) there and cycle all the way to Abbeyfeale on a flat bike friendly path. The trail is particularly interesting around Barna with the Viaduct and tunnel.

• Advertisement

Cycled from UL back towards city along the path in Plassey, along the canal to near the Absolute hotel, crossed the bridge, back out along the canal to Park, then turned left to the Shannon Fields and the outdoor gym, went right up to the main road near Shannon Banks, did a U turn and back to the Guinness bridge, crossed over and back to UL and did a quick circuit there.

All told it was about a 45min spin, suited me fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'd try the spin from UL out to UL Bohs pitches in Annacotty, it's much more mountainbikey than UL into town I think.

I'd try the spin from UL out to UL Bohs pitches in Annacotty, it's much more mountainbikey than UL into town I think.

I'll try that too but I'm not really looking for mountain bike trails.

I just want to cycle but my daughter isn't happy with cycling on the roads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Last night I went out the dual carriageway to Bunratty and back, taking a detour through Cratloe. 27+ km altogether. Best workout I've done in ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭RINO87

Where do you access that route? Looking for some more mountain bikey trails about town or close by for when I can't make it out to ballyhoura

Have they removed the trees that were down on that trail? Last time I was out there was back in December and we had to climb over a couple of trunks along the way.

I haven't done it since I was in college in UL in 06 so I don't know the current situation.

When I say more mountain bikey I mean it's not tarmacadamed and is/was just a nice track on grass/stones that is a bit bumpy (unlike the UL to town route). It's nothing like Ballyhoura.

An File wrote: »
    Last night I went out the dual carriageway to Bunratty and back, taking a detour through Cratloe. 27+ km altogether. Best workout I've done in ages!

Of all the road cycling I've done or consider doing the Dual Carriageway is a route I'd avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Following this thread closely! Thinking of getting a bike, but not sure whether to get a road bike or off road.
    The lunatics driving on our roads, and the state of a lot of roads is pushing me towards off road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The new chippings on the trails in Cratloe are a nightmare for regular bikes. Not great for running either! It'll probably be grand again after another year or so.

Is this in the woods? Be hoping to start running there soon for the cross country season.

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Is this in the woods? Be hoping to start running there soon for the cross country season.

The road through the woods from the Cratloe entrance to the Meelick entrance must have been fixed up after the storms. Most of the two kilometres on the Meelick side is quite roughly laid now. Like big pieces of gravel. It's a nice challenge when you're running down-hill, but watch your ankles on some of the looser parts.
    Of all the road cycling I've done or consider doing the Dual Carriageway is a route I'd avoid.

I've done it a few times. Caherdavin to Bunratty and back is pretty much 25 km, and the detour through Cratloe is a nice extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Thanks An File. Be starting from both the Cratloe and Meelick side and be going over the routes that Frank O'Mara and Niall Cusack normallly ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

I love that canal bank cycle. Yesterday i did Raheen into town, around the north Circular, out past Thomond to Ardnacrusha, back in by Corbally and then the riverside route from Corbally out to UL. Then Groody, Ballysimon rd, Mulgrave street and across Hyde, onto Rosbrien and come out near Collins bar in Dooradoyle. About 25 miles all in. I vary it a bit but thats my general route.

Some great cycling in Limerick, town is generally safe as long as you follow the rules of the road and dont try to be cute.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Where do you access that route? Looking for some more mountain bikey trails about town or close by for when I can't make it out to ballyhoura

Park in the Concert hall car park, cross the pedestrian bridge closest the roundabout, go thru' the student accommodation court yard, head towards the pedestrian crossing near the bridge over the Shannon, before the pedestrian crossing there's a gravel path to your right that brings you down to the bank of the Shannon then turn right for Annacotty and left for the city.
    Have they removed the trees that were down on that trail? Last time I was out there was back in December and we had to climb over a couple of trunks along the way.

No trees blocking your route now but very overgrown, not a nice cycle.

I went to UL Bohs field and cut up to Annacotty, came back by industrial estate and dfown by Unigolf, down that track to the Plassey track and back to UL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

seachto7 wrote: »
    Following this thread closely! Thinking of getting a bike, but not sure whether to get a road bike or off road.
    The lunatics driving on our roads, and the state of a lot of roads is pushing me towards off road.
    Haven't really cycled since I was a teenager but when I did it was mainly on footpaths. Apparently that's not allowed now but I'd much rather be a pedestrian hit by a bicycle than a cyclist hit by a car.

Cycling on country roads in this country seems very dangerous.

I decided to try the Gillogue to UL route yesterday, drove to the old Burlington plant but all the parking area outside the boundary fence is blocked off and the Lame Duck is fenced off too.

Anyway, drove back the road and parked up, cycled up the track from Gillogue to UL, down Plassey to the Guinness Bridge, crossed over and cycled up the Shannon fields, past the outdoor gym, up onto the Corbally Rd at the Irish Estates and back out the public road to Gillogue, took just about the 30mins.

Would have extended the cycle in the canal but wanted to be home for the hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

I decided to try the Gillogue to UL route yesterday, drove to the old Burlington plant but all the parking area outside the boundary fence is blocked off and the Lame Duck is fenced off too.

Anyway, drove back the road and parked up, cycled up the track from Gillogue to UL, down Plassey to the Guinness Bridge, crossed over and cycled up the Shannon fields, past the outdoor gym, up onto the Corbally Rd at the Irish Estates and back out the public road to Gillogue, took just about the 30mins.

Would have extended the cycle in the canal but wanted to be home for the hurling.

From Gillogue you can turn at the Lame Duck down to Clonlara and from there either head along the canal to O'Briensbridge or take the footbridge past Doonass over to Castleconnell. Very quiet roads with the option of some offroad sections.

Is there a track at the Clare side to the footbridge to Castleconnell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Is there a track at the Clare side to the footbridge to Castleconnell?

No but if you take the road beside the Lame Duck, turn right at the end, over the bridge and immediately right again, follow the road past Landscape House and take a right at the end to Doonass, go up the hill and at the top there is a laneway down to the footbridge.
    map

This is about 5 miles of very quiet roads. You can also follow this road back to Clonlara village, turn left in the village and turn left after the narrow bridge back to Gillogue. The return route has a bit of traffic but I've never had a problem on it with kids.

• Advertisement

I cycled around Curraghchase recently, still a few routes closed off but a great spot, a few hills caught me but its all manageable. Cycled up a few cul de sacs but that's part of the fun.

Today, I went to Rathkeale and cycled from there to Ardagh on the Great Southern Trail, it was against the wind on the way out but a nice cycle on the return trip. Its about 18km, add another 8 if you want to go to Newcastle West and back.

Advertisement