Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

off road cycling paths

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I walked Keeper Hill on Monday and a fella went past me on a mountain bike just after the barrier by the carpark.

The road was supposed to be closed though. Somebody had removed the tape. I wouldn't recommend trying to cycle that section until it's fixed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

An File wrote: »
    I walked Keeper Hill on Monday and a fella went past me on a mountain bike just after the barrier by the carpark.

The road was supposed to be closed though. Somebody had removed the tape. I wouldn't recommend trying to cycle that section until it's fixed up.

I've often met cyclists on Keeper but I doubt I'll ever try it, don't like the shale nor the hills, other than the view I'm not mad keen on it for walk either not really sure why iut doesn't rock my boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

phog wrote: »
    I cycled around Curraghchase recently, still a few routes closed off but a great spot, a few hills caught me but its all manageable. Cycled up a few cul de sacs but that's part of the fun.

Today, I went to Rathkeale and cycled from there to Ardagh on the Great Southern Trail, it was against the wind on the way out but a nice cycle on the return trip. Its about 18km, add another 8 if you want to go to Newcastle West and back.

I think you can go all the way to abbeyfeale as it passes through templeglantine too and the scenery is really nice, must really do it some day

Mc Love wrote: »
    I think you can go all the way to abbeyfeale as it passes through templeglantine too and the scenery is really nice, must really do it some day

Yes, you can but I wouldn't be able for the full trip especially if I had to return to start to get back to car.

I intend to do another stage some day next week, NCW to Barna is supposed to be steep.

Here's a link to the website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Oh it is indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Yes, you can but I wouldn't be able for the full trip especially if I had to return to start to get back to car.

I intend to do another stage some day next week, NCW to Barna is supposed to be steep.

Here's a link to the website

It's not too steep on the section from NCW to Barna, it was a railway line after all so it couldn't be too steep for the trains, it's interesting with the railway bridge and the tunnel so you don't notice it as much.

To get to the tunnel you have to cross the road but it's really worth it.

From Barna to Abbeyfeale is nice too with a particularly nice place in the trees just after Templeglantine.

The trail ends about 3kms on the Listowel side of Abbeyfeale.

The Dagda wrote: »
    It's not too steep on the section from NCW to Barna, it was a railway line after all so it couldn't be too steep for the trains, it's interesting with the railway bridge and the tunnel so you don't notice it as much.

To get to the tunnel you have to cross the road but it's really worth it.

From Barna to Abbeyfeale is nice too with a particularly nice place in the trees just after Templeglantine.

The trail ends about 3kms on the Listowel side of Abbeyfeale.

I did the cycle from NCW to Barna on Saturday and while it's a nice cycle the crossings don't really suit cyclists, there are at least 7 crossing with double gates, you have to dismount for each set of gates.

I missed the tunnel (and I crossed the road to the viewing area) but can catch it when I try the Barna to Abbeyfeale route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

I did the cycle from NCW to Barna on Saturday and while it's a nice cycle the crossings don't really suit cyclists, there are at least 7 crossing with double gates, you have to dismount for each set of gates.

I missed the tunnel (and I crossed the road to the viewing area) but can catch it when I try the Barna to Abbeyfeale route.

The gates around NCW are annoying alright. You'll be happy to hear there are very few from Barna to Abbeyfeale.

Advertisement