Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App for running competitions

Options
  • 05-07-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

So was at MBA WARRIOR RETURN 3 today
    https://www.facebook.com/events/634650553238779/

and noticed how badly the tournament was run. My name didnt even get added to the brackets, human error. Didnt get to play a single game.

The problem
    The players names were announced at one desk and then the players had to return with their score. There were times were all consoles were free as players didnt return with their score so announcer didnt know to assign the next game. It was slow and painful, resources being wasted and over all time not being utilised properly.
    Reminded me a bit of SVB as well where it took ages to find players and there were multiple invigilators.

The solution
    What about an app thats integrated with some brackets website i.e http://challonge.com/WR3TTT2 [or a completely new brackets site]
    A competition is configured by the admins on the site

There is an associated app [ios/android] for all the players
    So player registers/signs in at the event.

Number of console setups are configured on the website by the admin.
    The actual console setups are clearly numbered eg 1,2,3,4
    The player is notified that its their turn [notification on the phone] with the setup number. Once the game is finished, they have to select the winner [only accepted if both players select the same winner]. This then means that the recently used console setup is free so the next batch of players are notified and so on

it is all automated, there will be certain timeout configurations to make sure players have selected a winner after the game. Alternatively have ipads at the setups where you select the winner.

Admin can overwrite any mistakes/errors.
    No need for massive announcements or several people running the tournament. Easily accessible/viewable brackets-timetable.
    Could also have extra information on players when you click their names [gamer tags, used characters, history of tournaments/wins]

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Placebo wrote: »
    So was at MBA WARRIOR RETURN 3 today
    https://www.facebook.com/events/634650553238779/

and noticed how badly the tournament was run. My name didnt even get added to the brackets, human error. Didnt get to play a single game.

The problem
    The players names were announced at one desk and then the players had to return with their score. There were times were all consoles were free as players didnt return with their score so announcer didnt know to assign the next game. It was slow and painful, resources being wasted and over all time not being utilised properly.
    Reminded me a bit of SVB as well where it took ages to find players and there were multiple invigilators.

The solution
    What about an app thats integrated with some brackets website i.e http://challonge.com/WR3TTT2 [or a completely new brackets site]
    A competition is configured by the admins on the site

There is an associated app [ios/android] for all the players
    So player registers/signs in at the event.

Number of console setups are configured on the website by the admin.
    The actual console setups are clearly numbered eg 1,2,3,4
    The player is notified that its their turn [notification on the phone] with the setup number. Once the game is finished, they have to select the winner [only accepted if both players select the same winner]. This then means that the recently used console setup is free so the next batch of players are notified and so on

it is all automated, there will be certain timeout configurations to make sure players have selected a winner after the game. Alternatively have ipads at the setups where you select the winner.

Admin can overwrite any mistakes/errors.
    No need for massive announcements or several people running the tournament. Easily accessible/viewable brackets-timetable.
    Could also have extra information on players when you click their names [gamer tags, used characters, history of tournaments/wins]

Sounds like an awesome idea. I think it could get traction.

Sucks you got dqed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

The only problem I see with this is actually getting the players to submit scores.

Even with iPads at each station and players with apps to log into on their phone, I can see a lot of people just not bothering to update, especially when they've lost.

It's definitely a cool idea though, but the above seems like a pretty gigantic hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Sounds like an awesome idea. I think it could get traction.

Sucks you got dqed :/

Yeeeeah sure Farz..."Disqualified"
    It's the taking part that counts mate...chin up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Got disqualified for losing 2 matches. Seems legit to me

Advertisement