Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brooks saddle recommendation

• 05-07-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a brooks saddle that's suitable for sportive use. I've used a specialized alias saddle for many years but it's a bit broken and needs replacing. If be looking for a similar brooks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Hey, not sure I understand. Are you looking to buy a second hand one from someone here or a recommendation on which one to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I went for the new Cambium as it is not as susceptible to the weather as the pure leather ones apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

Idleater wrote: »
    I went for the new Cambium as it is not as susceptible to the weather as the pure leather ones apparently.

Let me know how that goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

lennymc wrote: »
    Let me know how that goes.

I've been using one for a while now. Really comfortable, no breaking in involved,instant comfort. Thought the textured finish would be sticky on bib shorts but isn't. When you flex it in your hand you'd think it's too soft but when on the bike it doesn't feel overly soft and bouncy. Rider weight may have differing results.
    Completely waterproof as it's made from vulcanized rubber.
    Used it on 2x200km rides out of the box without any comfort issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

72hundred wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for a brooks saddle that's suitable for sportive use. I've used a specialized alias saddle for many years but it's a bit broken and needs replacing. If be looking for a similar brooks.

Been using a Brooks B17 on my road bike for the last few years and a Brooks Flyer on the hybrid. Both great, though heavy. B17 is super comfy for long days on the bike, and they seem a popular choice for audax and touring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 timberzz

72hundred wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi,

My Specialized Alias 155 needs replacing as well. That was a fantastic saddle. Have you replaced yours and what have you found that works for you?

Regards,

Tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

I have a Brooks Professional, very comfortable and very little breaking in required.

Apparently it's the 'sporty' model in the range.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles/brooks-professional.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

Having tried 5 different saddles over the last year and not been able to get along with any of them, last week I bit the bullet and bought a b17 imperial. First spin out and not looking (feeling) so good. 4 or 5 spins later and I think I might at long last have my saddle problem solved. I've done about 250km on it now and today I hardly felt it at all. Longest spin yet was today at 55km and no soreness from it at all.
    Very heavy saddle though. Mine weighs 520g. But I will put up with that if it is comfortable. Also seem to need a lot of minding with regards to getting wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I was on the spa cycles site they have leather saddles a lot cheaper than the equivalent brooks ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

I think the worry about Brooks saddles getting wet may be overstated. Mine has been wet lots of times as it's on a winter bike, including being attached to the back of a car for 3 hours on the way to Sligo in torrential rain. I don't worry too much about it, apart from a few minutes treating it with Brooks proofide every 3-4 months. After 3 years no signs of ill effects.

They're a quality leather product which more than deserve the small amount of time required to mind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭G1032

Does that Cambium come in just the one size? I remember looking at it a few weeks ago on their website. Think it said it was 162mm wide. My current saddle is 136mm wide. While I've no particular comfort issues with my saddle (longest spin of 167km with no saddle issues) I've kind of wanted a Brooks saddle but I'm wondering if I've no issues with a 136mm wide saddle would the 162mm cause any issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

At the time of me purchasing, there was only one and talk of the upcoming narrower race version.
    As it happens I took it (standard c17 and the new bike) out for a spin last weekend. Absolutely perfect and I didn't notice the difference between that and my race slr's or my commute selle San Marco. It really is a fantastic saddle.
    IIf I was buying now and the narrow race was available I'd go for that based on weight alone, but without knowing the difference, I have zero complaints with the standard.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

At the time of me purchasing, there was only one and talk of the upcoming narrower race version.
    As it happens I took it (standard c17 and the new bike) out for a spin last weekend. Absolutely perfect and I didn't notice the difference between that and my race slr's or my commute selle San Marco. It really is a fantastic saddle.
    IIf I was buying now and the narrow race was available I'd go for that based on weight alone, but without knowing the difference, I have zero complaints with the standard.

Good.
    Going to get one. Hear the light colored one is poxy? Has to be slate colored then?
    Cyclebike?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

^^^^^
    Not in stock but should be soon according to Terry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

First long spin, 155km, and second spin in total on a Brooks Flyer.

Wasn't looking forward to the break in period but once on bike I forgot I had it on.

Hadn't very expensive bibs on and had rear tyre at 120 so well pleased so far. For €70 hard to complain.

That said I've always been fairly lucky on saddle front. Previous saddle was selle italia x1 and I've done very long days on that without issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ford2600 wrote: »
    First long spin, 155km, and second spin in total on a Brooks Flyer.

Wasn't looking forward to the break in period but once on bike I forgot I had it on.

Hadn't very expensive bibs on and had rear tyre at 120 so well pleased so far. For €70 hard to complain.

That said I've always been fairly lucky on saddle front. Previous saddle was selle italia x1 and I've done very long days on that without issue.

Six months after buying and relatively low mileage(on bike once a week on average for first 3 months of year) the saddle rail snapped.

Probably covered under warranty but it ruined a lovely spin Saturday evening!

Not unheard of according to a thread I found on another forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Bummer.

I had a spring snap on a Brooks saddle, but that was after 2 years of daily use. Still, from internet research I remember it is a common thing with many Brooks models :/

Advertisement