Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Notice Period

• 05-07-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm abut to hand in my 1 months notice.

But for my last month I already have a weeks holiday booked, it actually falls on my last week, this being the case technical it would mean I'm handling in 3 week notice.

So the question is ho does the holiday affects my notice period ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Has the leave has been approved by work already?

It shouldn't affect your notice period, but you should check how much leave you're entitled to - though that might just affect your final pay check rather than your notice period.

Presuming that the leave calendar starts at January, you work full time and get the statutory 20 days off per year, then by then end of July you would be entitled to just under 12 days off. If the week off means that you've exceeded that amount, then you'll effectively owe them that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Eoin wrote: »
    Has the leave has been approved by work already?

It shouldn't affect your notice period, but you should check how much leave you're entitled to - though that might just affect your final pay check rather than your notice period.

Presuming that the leave calendar starts at January, you work full time and get the statutory 20 days off per year, then by then end of July you would be entitled to just under 12 days off. If the week off means that you've exceeded that amount, then you'll effectively owe them that time.

It hasn't been approved yet. I've 20 days off excluding public holiday and I've used 14 days. I started working September last year.

I'm also with an agency and the contract states my holiday pay is included in my hourly rate. Now if I don't use my full holidays is there a possibility that I'll owe them ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If it's not been approved yet, then they can decide to not approve it.
    I'm also with an agency and the contract states my holiday pay is included in my hourly rate.

I don't really know what that means; I think you'd have to ask what your entitlement is. Including that week off, you'll have taken 19 days by the end of July, which sounds like more than you've worked up - even if the leave calendar runs from September, when you started.

But maybe they'd be happy to waive the last week of your notice, meaning it'd be unpaid.

Advertisement