Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worming a puppy

• 05-07-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi!

Just looking for some info about worming my 5month old Jack Russell. I'm using parazole on him, doing it once a month until he's 6mths. I previously started him off with three consecutive days as instructed. I just wormed him last week, but this evening he woke from a nap and started scooting like crazy! Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Im doing it by weight, he is 4kg so i gave him 4mls.

Hope someone can help!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP, I've moved your post so that it's in a thread of its own.

Now, mod hat off.
    Worms don't generally cause that scooting, it's more likely to be that his anal glands are at him. When the glands don't empty, say because the poop has been soft for a day or two, it causes itchiness and discomfort, which makes the dog try to gain relief by scooting, presumably in an attempt to empty the glands himself?
    The worming may have indirectly caused the problem, in that the treatment may have softened his poops a bit? Usually, a normal, hard-ish poop empties the anal glands as it squeezes past them, but soft poop doesn't/

And here I am, on a Saturday night, talking on the interweb about poop.
    Sigh.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Was there a fishy smell? Often dogs will scoot if they're anal glands are full so nothing to do with worms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Did he have fleas or lice at any point? It might be the tapeworm Dipylidium caninum - which Parazole doesn't treat. Might be no harm to vary your wormer anyhoo. Both Milbemax and Drontal will treat that tapeworm.

Could also be his anal glands too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lems

DBB wrote: »
    Hi OP, I've moved your post so that it's in a thread of its own.

Now, mod hat off.
    Worms don't generally cause that scooting, it's more likely to be that his anal glands are at him. When the glands don't empty, say because the poop has been soft for a day or two, it causes itchiness and discomfort, which makes the dog try to gain relief by scooting, presumably in an attempt to empty the glands himself?
    The worming may have indirectly caused the problem, in that the treatment may have softened his poops a bit? Usually, a normal, hard-ish poop empties the anal glands as it squeezes past them, but soft poop doesn't/

And here I am, on a Saturday night, talking on the interweb about poop.
    Sigh.

:o

Oh thanks for moving it!!
    Ah I see, they have been quite soft alright the last few days!! is there anything I can give him to give him a bit of relief or will it sort its self out?

Haha thanks!! :)

tk123 wrote: »
    Was there a fishy smell? Often dogs will scoot if they're anal glands are full so nothing to do with worms.

No fishy smell, he fell asleep on my lap and farted in his sleep, silent and violent :P that was the only smell :P

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Did he have fleas or lice at any point? It might be the tapeworm Dipylidium caninum - which Parazole doesn't treat. Might be no harm to vary your wormer anyhoo. Both Milbemax and Drontal will treat that tapeworm.

Could also be his anal glands too though.

Nope he never had either, luckily he's mostly white so I've been able to keep a good eye on that!! Ya I Google searched this topic and Drontal seems to be coming up a lot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Feeding him a raw chicken wing regularly will help to empty his anal glands, or you could up his fibre/roughage a bit if his poops were soft. He's only a baby though I think? Maybe half a wing? Im sure the more knowledgeable guys will advise on that.

Advertisement