Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sensor for child

Options
  • 06-07-2014 1:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Its a strange thread title I know:D

My 2 year old niece and sister is living with me and lately my niece has been making her way to the road and on 2 occasions has made it to the road.

The other day I asked her if she was coming for a walk and when I turned around from getting my shoes she had already left and was heading towards the road.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a sensor type device whereby that if someone passes it, it will let out a beep or alert us that someone has passed it. i.e niece heading to road

It not a busy road but there would be prob 9/10 cars passing a day in a cul-de-sac estate.

Any other ideas would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Eh what about locking the door she's managing to leave the house through? Or am I missing something here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lighterman wrote: »
    Its a strange thread title I know:D

My 2 year old niece and sister is living with me and lately my niece has been making her way to the road and on 2 occasions has made it to the road.

The other day I asked her if she was coming for a walk and when I turned around from getting my shoes she had already left and was heading towards the road.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a sensor type device whereby that if someone passes it, it will let out a beep or alert us that someone has passed it. i.e niece heading to road

It not a busy road but there would be prob 9/10 cars passing a day in a cul-de-sac estate.

Any other ideas would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Would a railing and gate be possible ?

Extra layer of safety

and she could be out the front safe enough if someone was with her

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Traditional-Deck-Railing-Kit-952x1816-Black/p/154333

CHb8Urt.jpg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Arch-Top-Large-Metal-Deck-Panel-91x1130mm-Silver/p/222142

JyclFhW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

m'lady wrote: »
    Eh what about locking the door she's managing to leave the house through? Or am I missing something here?!

eh she's 2. its the summer. we've a big garden/yard. she's not a dog that you'd keep locked up in the house.

Before anyone says anything about wouldn't it be better than her being on the road, the answer is yes but there is also a 5 yr old and a 12 yr old in the house so its very hard to keep the 2 yr old in with the current weather.

we are being very vigilant with her due to her wandering streak but was just looking for an aid to help us

gctest50 wrote: »
    Would a railing and gate be possible ?

Extra layer of safety

and she could be out the front safe enough if someone was with her

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Traditional-Deck-Railing-Kit-952x1816-Black/p/154333

CHb8Urt.jpg

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Arch-Top-Large-Metal-Deck-Panel-91x1130mm-Silver/p/222142

JyclFhW.jpg

not really as they seem to be permanent fixtures.we would need be block off a drive way for this. a temporary stand alone fixture would be no good as she is a bit of a bull dog at the min :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

lighterman wrote: »
    not really as they seem to be permanent fixtures.we would need be block off a drive way for this. a temporary stand alone fixture would be no good as she is a bit of a bull dog at the min :)

wait for the next few years :p
    trailer tailgate latches might be a way to make a sturdy temporary easily removable setup

http://www.lizardtrailers.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=105

http://www.millcreekhauntedhollow.com/blog001.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is your duty or your sisters duty to keep this child safe. Yes you do keep them locked up and if it was a dog that kept running on the road, yes you would keep a gate or keep them locked up for their safety. It's a basis right to protect those that are vulnerable. This 2yr if not safe and runs on the road in front of a car and dies, well then there will be no such summers ever again. Don't you see how dangerous it is to let a child out like this unattended? what about if she got out during the night??? It's not just about cars, there are other risks, strangers, water, falling, etc etc etc. What about a stair gate in front of your hall door? The other children and adults can easily open this to get out? lock your door until you are ready to take your child out!!! A two year old should not be roaming the garden or yard unattended anyway! I am a mother of a 2yr and i know how determined they can be but it's the adults duty to be the one in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My uncles have something similar. There are five of them living in a big house in the backarse of nowhere. It's off a private road (I.e. they're a good bit down the road, and there's nothing on the road except their house.)

Whenever anyone crosses a certain point on the road, an alarm blares in the house for a few seconds. This happens for foxes, squirrels, etc, would definitely work with a small child.

Will try and find out details for you. But such a thing definitely does exist!

I imagine that stair gates etc would probably be a far more cost-efficient solution, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

My sister had a similar situation of the older kids leaving doors and gates open.. So she put a heavy duty closing spring on the front gate that the older kids could open, but a toddler couldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

This is the kind of device that you're looking for.

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/child-locator.html

I have no experience with the product.

My uncles have something similar. There are five of them living in a big house in the backarse of nowhere. It's off a private road (I.e. they're a good bit down the road, and there's nothing on the road except their house.)

Whenever anyone crosses a certain point on the road, an alarm blares in the house for a few seconds. This happens for foxes, squirrels, etc, would definitely work with a small child.

Will try and find out details for you. But such a thing definitely does exist!

I imagine that stair gates etc would probably be a far more cost-efficient solution, though.

That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks

• Advertisement

This is the kind of device that you're looking for.

http://www.mypreciouskid.com/child-locator.html

I have no experience with the product.

I don't think that'd be any good to me. I need something to alert me when she goes past the house for example.

Unless I'm reading it wrong which I could well be it looks as if that only beeps when you press a button to look for the child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

The house needs to be child proofed end of.

Also your initial example of when you turned around from putting your shoes on she was gone? You have 5 senses, one of them is sight. Keep an eye on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Also your initial example of when you turned around from putting your shoes on she was gone? You have 5 senses, one of them is sight. Keep an eye on her.

In fairness, from the sounds of it, it's not his/her own kid and they're doing a favour for a sibling.

In fairness, from the sounds of it, it's not his/her own kid and they're doing a favour for a sibling.

Still, a sensor sounds so unreliable for a small child. House I stayed in in the states last year had alarms that went off if the back door & pool fence were opened, but they went off if a physical point was opened.

So you have no answer to my op therefore your post is effectively useless.

The house is more than adequately child proofed. End of.

They are isolated incidents involving a very independent 2 year old girl who at the moment is a little terror to watch.

If no one has any other suggestions the mods can feel free to lock the thread before it starts going on a slippery slope.

Ironically the type of sensor your looking for is like something that would be used on a dog. The child needs to be just constantly watched when outside and the doors closed when she's inside- I don't think there's any other way around it.

m'lady wrote: »
    Ironically the type of sensor your looking for is like something that would be used on a dog. The child needs to be just constantly watched when outside and the doors closed when she's inside- I don't think there's any other way around it.

I'm not looking for them things that give out a shock.

Basically we have the door to the door to the house. On one side of the door we have a long drive down to the road.

On the other side of the door we have a large Green area with a doll house and mini trampoline.

So I want to put something at the door that beeps when it detects movement telling me someone has passed it which more than likely would be the child heading to the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can't you put a gate on your driveway? Fence the garden?

That's what we did, tall gate with a handle children can't reach. 2 small kids, nice to be able to let them play.

That alarm is going to go off everytime the postman calls.

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be over dramatic but a two year old shouldn't have access to any trampoline without supervision- that alone is an accident waiting to happen.
    The only advice I can offer is that the child is supervised when out on the green area and as she gets a bit older then maybe some sort of fence or whatever.

Id imagine what you're looking for doesn't exist. No company would risk their reputation on a product like this. How difficult it would be to detect a little toddler walking by?!? Just watch them!!! Constantly !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

My 3 year old made a run for the road last weekend when I was taking her from the car into the house. Even though I was only a foot away from her, by the time I'd reacted and chased after her, she'd made it out of the gate and onto the footpath.

A sensor will tell you if your niece gets past the door but it won't give you enough time to grab her if she runs for the road when there's a car coming. The better option is some kind of fence or gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It would definitely be possibly to put an alarm motion sensor or beam like these at the entrance but would you be worried about over relying on it and becoming complacent? Or eventually ignoring it due the inevitable number of false alarms?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I would recommend this

http://www.radiofence.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_25&products_id=9

It should stop the problem very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I would recommend this

http://www.radiofence.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_25&products_id=9

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dandyo

There was a documentary (or maybe it was a movie) that had a device that would be perfect to what you describe..
    I think it was "The Running Man"

vinnie13 wrote: »
    I would recommend this

Ye shed look great in a collar

Advertisement