Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera - Error message - 01

• 06-07-2014 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm getting an error message on my camera in the last few days.

It says - "Communication between camera and lens is faulty - clean lens contacts "

The lens was only cleaned about 2/3 months ago so I'm surprised the message is appearing.

I've followed instructions from a few "Utube" suggestions.
    It has improved some of the functions, but the message still appears.
    It only occurs when I zoom out with the lens.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Has anyone got any ideas yet please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

If it's only when you zoom out then it might be a damaged ribbon cable in the lens.

What camera, what lens?

Its a Canon lens, 24-105mm L.
    My camera is the New Canon 5d mark iii.

Thank you

Sounds like your 24-105 needs some repair work. I think the ribbon in those come on the diaphragm.

I seem to recall it being an issue when you zoom in and not out though and then I think it had to be set to an aperture of anything other than f4. So take my analysis with a pinch of salt as the memory might be a bit faulty, I'll dig up details after work later.

Alltherage wrote: »
    Sounds like your 24-105 needs some repair work. I think the ribbon in those come on the diaphragm.

I seem to recall it being an issue when you zoom in and not out though and then I think it had to be set to an aperture of anything other than f4. So take my analysis with a pinch of salt as the memory might be a bit faulty, I'll dig up details after work later.

Hi
    Thanks for the info. I am afraid to think it's a repair job too.
    Any idea how/why the fault happens ??
    Any idea of cost of repair ( rough estimate ??? )

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I had this error but with a different lens. It was new so I was able to exchange it.

The comments in this video might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eHSJFjbWWo

I'm pretty sure the fault is a weakness in the ribbon cable it's common enough that it's a one off but they do normally go for a few years before needing fixing. I bought mine second hand from a store (Whelans in Limerick) and they stood over it when it died so I didn't have to pay, I'd imagine something in the region of 150 or so for a fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

definitely need to take it to service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hi OP - we have a thread here with our own resident Zerohmaster who comes highly recommended for camera repairs and advice.

Please read the first post in the thread and post your query there - I'm sure he will be able to advise. Closing this thread - should have spotted it sooner and merged it with the Clinic thread. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement