Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fireplace draught excluder

• 06-07-2014 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried one of these? About 80-90€ for a decorative fireplace cover:

http://www.fireplacedraughtexcluder.com

I have a gas fire in the living room but find the room can be pretty cold on windy days when not in use. When I put my hand near the fireplace I can feel a small draught so heat is certainly being lost.

The rest of the house is generally fine so I'm thinking a cover like this would be good. I think I would prefer this to sticking something (like a ballon or cover) up the chimney for safety reasons!

Any thoughts? Appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

fbradyirl wrote: »
    Has anyone tried one of these? About 80-90€ for a decorative fireplace cover:

http://www.fireplacedraughtexcluder.com

I have a gas fire in the living room but find the room can be pretty cold on windy days when not in use. When I put my hand near the fireplace I can feel a small draught so heat is certainly being lost.

The rest of the house is generally fine so I'm thinking a cover like this would be good. I think I would prefer this to sticking something (like a ballon or cover) up the chimney for safety reasons!

Any thoughts? Appreciate it!

Look up chimney ballon it goes up chimney to stop draughts and is a hell of a lot cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Look up chimney ballon it goes up chimney to stop draughts and is a hell of a lot cheaper

As I said above, balloon won't suit. Anyway there isn't a single big hole going up, there is 8 small openings above the fire.

As I said above, balloon won't suit. Anyway there isn't a single big hole going up, there is 8 small openings above the fire.

Post a pic because there should only be 1 flue

Post a pic because there should only be 1 flue

see attached. 6, not 8 as I said above! ;-)

see attached. 6, not 8 as I said above! ;-)

Looks like a closure plate havnt come across that type before .Is it possible to take pic a little further away to take in fire and back.

• Advertisement

Looks like a closure plate havnt come across that type before .Is it possible to take pic a little further away to take in fire and back.

Here you go.

Here you go.

Yes it's a inset gas fire in this case the chimney ballon won't work.
    The option you posted is probably the only solution.Its a case of fitting it tight to the fireplace to seal it

OP please get your fire serviced, gas is a very clean fuel and should burn without leaving soot deposits on the fake coals, also if you don't have one fit a carbon monoxide alarm.

Also did you know thoses fires were originally designed by pigeon fanciers who were really concerned about their pigeons getting cold bums when resting on a chimney, so those fires are great for pigeons but no so good for you as a efficient heat source.

gary71 wrote: »
    OP please get your fire serviced, gas is a very clean fuel and should burn without leaving soot deposits on the fake coals, also if you don't have one fit a carbon monoxide alarm.

Will do. Yeah I was wondering about that soot deposit. There is only a tiny bit on it, but better to be safe...
    Also did you know thoses fires were originally designed by pigeon fanciers who were really concerned about their pigeons getting cold bums when resting on a chimney, so those fires are great for pigeons but no so good for you as a efficient heat source.

LOL, really? I find it gives off great heat to be honest. Why do you say it is less efficient? Because of the small holes? :confused:

LOL, really? I find it gives off great heat to be honest. Why do you say it is less efficient? Because of the small holes? :confused:

A lot of heat goes up the chimney where's other fires/stoves can put the same heat in to the room but the cold arsed pigeons will hate you:mad:

• Advertisement

A lot of heat goes up the chimney where's other fires/stoves can put the same heat in to the room but the cold arsed pigeons will hate you:mad:

Ha. Gotta keep those birds happy eh? -)

Only ever light the fire a handful if times a year so won't bother with a stove to be honest, although I realise they give off way more heat.

The house has a BER B2 so in general pretty cosy but just looking at ways to keep it airtight as possible.

Ha. Gotta keep those birds happy eh? -)

Only ever light the fire a handful if times a year so won't bother with a stove to be honest, although I realise they give off way more heat.

The house has a BER B2 so in general pretty cosy but just looking at ways to keep it airtight as possible.

I think that cover looks like a good idea, I haven't seen one before.

I don't think it's worth replacing the fire but worth knowing there are other choices when the day comes that you may want to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I think that cover looks like a good idea, I haven't seen one before.

I don't think it's worth replacing the fire but worth knowing there are other choices when the day comes that you may want to replace it.
    OP has a convector insert fire, while not great their still 100 times better than a stand alone decortave coal affect fire, which as the name employs, is a decoration, not a source of heat, even though it burns gas !

scudo2 wrote: »
    OP has a convector insert fire, while not great their still 100 times better than a stand alone decortave coal affect fire, which as the name employs, is a decoration, not a source of heat, even though it burns gas !

Yep, I know:cool: but both in my mind my oily friend are quite crude compared to other types of gas fires, they are both susceptible to lint and have no lint retainers, the positioning of the coals/logs often impinges on the flame picture causing flame chill which in turn causes the soot deposits you see in the ops picture.

Also they sit in to the fire place making it harder to check the flue compared to other fires that connect with a closure plate so you can easily remove the fire giving full access to the fire place, as they are inset fires any debris coming down the chimney will interfere with the fire quite quickly but with fires fitted with a closure plate you have all the space behind the closure plate up to the letter box opening before the debris impact on the fire this alone has saved many lives.

Well thanks for all the info guys. Always great to get advice from people who know more than me about this kinda stuff.

I've ordered a carbon monoxide alarm (which I've been meaning to get for a while now) and the fireplace cover.

If you ever need any IT or computer help, let me know (thats my arena) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bohser

Well thanks for all the info guys. Always great to get advice from people who know more than me about this kinda stuff.

I've ordered a carbon monoxide alarm (which I've been meaning to get for a while now) and the fireplace cover.

If you ever need any IT or computer help, let me know (thats my arena) :)

How'd this go in the end? I'm thinking of getting the same for a standard fire.

Yeah it works well. The room is certainly warmer since I got it in.

Advertisement