Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance while pregnant

Options
  • 06-07-2014 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I'm looking for some advice or recommendations for good pregnancy travel cover. It's for one trip within Europe and I will be in my 7th month. So while the risks are minimal I would need it to cover both me and the baby in the case of premature birth. A lot of places seem to cover the birth itself but not care for the baby afterwards.

Has anybody heard of cover that will also cover the child in the event of premature birth?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nope. Check the airline's rules too. You may have issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

The airline is fine so long as my consultant signs something to say it's a low risk pregnancy. I've already discussed it with him and he will be happy to do so, if it is all going as it should be. So it's really just the insurance I've to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Do you have health insurance? Most policies cover you abroad up to a certain amount if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

No I don't. It looks like Aib will cover me if I have a consultant letter for travel within 12 weeks of due date. But it covers complications only. When I asked what that meant ( I'd imagine any birth 2 months early would involve complications) the poor guy just said he could only ask his supervisor. So I'll email them instead. It all seems very vague. I guess I'm asking too much.

I'd happily pay over the odds for peace of mind that if, god forbid, our baby is born that early, I'd get adequate care for both of us. I've never bothered with travel insurance before but I've gone very protective lately. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a policy with AIG and the following is in the exclusions section ......

expenses which would normally be incurred as a result of pregnancy within 2 months of expected date of birth or childbirth

• Advertisement
Advertisement