Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB pole and external conduit

Options
  • 06-07-2014 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,

Few months ago, I was looking at some guys fitting an ESB pole and erecting it.
    The external conduit ( heavy gauge black pipe ) that goes from the bottom to the top of the pole and bring the main was fitted this way :
    In the first low half part of the pole : the conduit was nailed along the pole.
    Second half part , the highest : the conduit was separate from the pole , about 150 / 200 mm .
    A lot of them seems to be fitted like this.
    Here is a picture taking from the Web.

I did asked your man there, he told me that he was erecting between 3 and 5 poles per day for the last 20 years, but didn't know why they fit them this way ! :confused:

Is there anybody knows why ? Is it to climb easier afterward with a ladder or harness ?
    Just curious to know... ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My understanding is that it allows the use of the pole climbing irons they use that wrap around the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Aye it's for climbing irons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

It's for climbers. The duct you see clipped is actually for the earth bonded to the neutral conductor up at the head of the pole. This is what gives you your bonded earth. It's protected at the bottom half of the pole against damage which could give what's know as a floating neutral. Basically it would be at a slightly higher voltage to earth which in turn could lead to customers getting shocks from anything bonded in their houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭bertie 56

Ok, that makes sense .

Thanks to everybody for your answers !

;)

Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

It is so the pole can be climbed and worked on live. Not much use if you pierce the climber into a live service cable, neither is it safe to have the climber pierce to the neutral earth while working live at the pole top. They are the 2 reasons cables of neutral earths are stood off the pole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Advertisement