Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on buying surfboard

Options
  • 06-07-2014 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am looking to buy a new (new for me but actually secondhand) board. I am not a complete beginner but any surfing I have done has mostly been using a 7 foot softboard.

I am a 5'4 girl around 60kg.

I am looking for a hardboard that will be challenging but not so challenging that I get frustrated.

The board I am most leaning towards getting is a 5'10 Bic Fish:
    www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/5-10-bic-fish-surfboard/7212657

But I have read up on Bic's and they don't seem to have the best name as a quality surfboard but there are a lot of mixed opinions on whether they are perfect for newbie's or not. What do you think of it? Also I think I would offer 100 euro for this board, is that fair?

There are also a few more available in my area but I'm not quite convinced they would be as suitable:

www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/6ft-rusty-with-bag-barely-used/6929160
    This is a 6 foot Rusty but there isn't any info on the shape or anything. Does anyone know what shape/ model it might be from looking at the pictures?

www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/surf-board-for-sale/6897416
    I wouldn't be quite so keen on this one considering the price . . .

www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/seven-surfboard/6854289
    I like this one because it's custom made and seems to be a decent price but I have a feeling it may be overly difficult

www. adverts. ie/water-sports/6-6-tubes-ireland-surfboard/5715089

I would be looking to spend between 100 - 150 euro so any of these that are more than that I would just make an offer within my budget.

Please help me choose a board and please constructive criticism on my suggestions :)

Also, sorry about the links but it won't let me post them without the space in the middle!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

Niamhers wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a new (new for me but actually secondhand) board. I am not a complete beginner but any surfing I have done has mostly been using a 7 foot softboard.

I am a 5'4 girl around 60kg.

I am looking for a hardboard that will be challenging but not so challenging that I get frustrated.

The board I am most leaning towards getting is a 5'10 Bic Fish:
    www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/5-10-bic-fish-surfboard/7212657

But I have read up on Bic's and they don't seem to have the best name as a quality surfboard but there are a lot of mixed opinions on whether they are perfect for newbie's or not. What do you think of it? Also I think I would offer 100 euro for this board, is that fair?

There are also a few more available in my area but I'm not quite convinced they would be as suitable:

www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/6ft-rusty-with-bag-barely-used/6929160
    This is a 6 foot Rusty but there isn't any info on the shape or anything. Does anyone know what shape/ model it might be from looking at the pictures?

www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/surf-board-for-sale/6897416
    I wouldn't be quite so keen on this one considering the price . . .

www. donedeal. ie/watersports-for-sale/seven-surfboard/6854289
    I like this one because it's custom made and seems to be a decent price but I have a feeling it may be overly difficult

www. adverts. ie/water-sports/6-6-tubes-ireland-surfboard/5715089

I would be looking to spend between 100 - 150 euro so any of these that are more than that I would just make an offer within my budget.

Please help me choose a board and please constructive criticism on my suggestions :)

Also, sorry about the links but it won't let me post them without the space in the middle!

Hi

The bic 5'11 might be too big a step down as are all the rest if you are riding a 7ft at the moment get a 6'8-6'10
    Especially if the 7ft you are riding is round nosed!!

Bics are good to start on as they are durable also nsp boards and they will hold there resale value there are a lot of cheap Chinese cr@ppy boards around at the moment steer clear they will break your heart as they fall apart!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Niamhers

Thanks, I'll have a look out for something like you suggested.

Anymore suggestions/ advice are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Niamhers

I had a look and it seems suitable but Sligo is a bit too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

I wouldn't advise buying anything shorter than 7ft. Especially as your first hard board. If you've been surfing only soft boards then you are still learning. In order to progress you need to be catching waves. Surfboard that is too short will only hinder your progress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement