Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton South Ring Road Roundabout Approach Question

Options
  • 06-07-2014 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Guys need to check and clear something up, as anybody who uses the wilton roundabout at the SRR knows its a mess at the moments with approaches from many of the directions left in an unacceptable half finished state for months.

When approaching from the Wilton Shopping Centre side, and heading towards the roundabout, there are two lanes, and here is where confusion is happening with motorists and especially with buses.

The line markings on the road would currently indicate that the left lane, is either for the slip road onto the S.R.R eastbound or for heading straight on to the traffic lights to head to sarsfield rd on the opposite side of the roundabout.

All line marking indicate that this is the case, however just before the newly laid part of the road there is an arrow that indicates the lane is for left turn only to enter the slip road, this marking is a relic from the old setup and in my opinion should of been removed but hasnt, as all the painted lines would indicate you are free to carry straight on or take the slip road.

I have noticed that the 219 and 214 buses are constantly taking the right lane coming down the hill on approach, and then crossing the white lines into the left lane as they approach the traffic lights to carry on to sarsfield road, to do this they must cross a set of white lines but they rarely indicate to do so and blow their horn at anyone who uses the left lane as the lines indicate.

There is no point checking google maps or bing as its all the old images. Just looking for backup that i am currently using it correctly, as that old arrow is confusing alot of people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I use the left hand lane if I'm coming from the shopping centre and heading straight through the round about since that is the way that the broken white lines would indicate is the correct course to take.

A couple of months ago the left hand lane would have been only for the slip road and you would have to take the right hand lane, with this lane then splitting into two lanes just before the roundabout itself. But this suddenly changed overnight without any signs going up to warn you. People still do tend to take the right hand lane down to the roundabout though and then indicate and move into the left lane as they approach it. So, they are either following the old layout still or, if you were a cynical person, as there is normally a build up of traffic in the left lane they may take the right hand lane down and then try and merge into the left hand lane.

I just try and slow down before the roundabout and watch for people trying to move from the right to the left lane especially since the slight curve on that approach makes it hard to see a bit in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I use the left hand lane if I'm coming from the shopping centre and heading straight through the round about since that is the way that the broken white lines would indicate is the correct course to take.

A couple of months ago the left hand lane would have been only for the slip road and you would have to take the right hand lane, with this lane then splitting into two lanes just before the roundabout itself. But this suddenly changed overnight without any signs going up to warn you. People still do tend to take the right hand lane down to the roundabout though and then indicate and move into the left lane as they approach it. So, they are either following the old layout still or, if you were a cynical person, as there is normally a build up of traffic in the left lane they may take the right hand lane down and then try and merge into the left hand lane.

I just try and slow down before the roundabout and watch for people trying to move from the right to the left lane especially since the slight curve on that approach makes it hard to see a bit in front of you.
    Yeah this is what i do, however had a bus blowing me out of it this morning, even though i was in the correct lane and he was changing in, i fired off an email to the roads dept at the city council, will see if they will respond, as its been like this for months and i have witnessed incidents like this too many times at this stage.

Advertisement