Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass bbs

• 06-07-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used or even heard of glass bbs saw some on se airsoft for target shooting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

Yep, used them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭shnburn

thermo wrote: »
    Yep, used them.

Is there much difference in accuracy compared to normal bbs

A small bit more consistent, and they seem to hit a lot harder then the same weight in plastic.

Might give them a try where u using them in a aeg or pistol

Pistol, aeg and spring sniper rifle. Not really recommended for use on players ( unless you really really don't like them lol)

• Advertisement

Pistol, aeg and spring sniper rifle. Not really recommended for use on players ( unless you really really don't like them lol)

Lol would be for targets and the brothe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I think it's more stern in a sense they simply arn't allowed on most sites :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

And if they are allowed on a site, no way would I be going there. Glass BB's, seriously?? Absolutely ridiculous that people even contemplate using em on a site, imagine these with along with someone wearing mesh, bad bad times ahead.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    And if they are allowed on a site, no way would I be going there. Glass BB's, seriously?? Absolutely ridiculous that people even contemplate using em on a site, imagine these with along with someone wearing mesh, bad bad times ahead.

Its the same with bio bbs on sites iv played on they dont want people using them incase they shatter an go threw the mesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Lets be honest here, glass BBs have a far higher chance of shattering on mesh then a Bio BB and as thermo said they seem to hit a lot harder then a plastic BB.

• Advertisement

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Lets be honest here, glass BBs have a far higher chance of shattering on mesh then a Bio BB and as thermo said they seem to hit a lot harder then a plastic BB.

the glass ones i got were made from toughened glass, they were nearly impossible to break or dent (in the end i crushed one in a hydrolic press) id be far more worried about bio bb's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭mack1984

No need to worry about bios doing any damage if your wearing mesh, they wont. This is a great explanation of a guy from another forum

^^They are not appropriate eyepro for airsoft. You will see people wearing all sorts of stuff, some of it that could withstand buckshot - that doesn't make it appropriate for airsoft. The only eyepro you should consider are types which seal against your face, so that no matter what angle a ricochet can come from, it cannot get between the frame and your face, because once a BB is inside your eyepro, even if it is not initially heading towards your eye, it could bounce off the interior. It has happened recently at Skirmish Airsoft Mansfield.

Compare that risk with the risk that a fragment of BB could make it through mesh to hit your eye with sufficient energy to harm it - bear in mind that if a 0.2g BB has 1 Joule of energy and has Volume 572d25e6055562df4d0f4fb65c0924e0.png or 1.333 x 3.142 x (2.975mm)³ = 110.3mm³
    then so long as the speed remains constant, the energy retained by a fragment is the same fraction as its volume compared to the whole BB, thus half the BB has 0.5J, a quarter 0.25J and so on...

Most mesh has holes around 1.5-2mm, but Hero Sharks (strangely enough, in this topsy turvy world of risk assessment done by emotion rather than logic, considered some of the safest mesh goggles) have holes 2.97mm across - but of course you can't end up with a BB fragment shaped like a sphere of 2.97mm diameter / approx 1/2 a BB in volume...

...actually this is where it gets much more complex, so maybe I'll start a new thread at some point to get to the bottom of it, but basically you need to imagine the BB 1st in the horizontal plane, then the vertical - if no part can be longer than 2.97mm, then discounting the infinitesimally unlikely possibility that fragments could be shattered off the outside all over, leaving a central chunk of approx 2.97mm diameter, then the biggest piece will have part of the original BB surface will be an equilateral triangle -ish shape, from above and also from the side, with each side of length 2.97mm where one side of the triangle is the shortest line between 2 points on the arc of the BB circumference, like this:

BB_fragment_diag_01.jpg

...which works out roughly at 18 tetrahedrons:

tetrahedron.jpg

...or 1/18th of the Volume and Energy = 0.056J

(If you're wondering about the volume, you may be interested to know that you're not the only one feeling slightly...

...challenged, shall we say?

The centre of a tetrahedron is called the Mong[e] Point! :lol:

The curved face which would be present on a BB fragment is missing anyway and that would be proper calculus so **** it, it's about 6.11mm³.)

But as I said above, that is to assume that the pieces continue to travel at the same speed as the whole, but of course they don't. When the BB hits whatever it shatters against, some energy is transferred to the object and some, although conserved as heat and sound, is lost from momentum (Mass x Velocity), so actually the amount of energy left able to hit your eye is even less than the Volume proportion, and this remember is the largest piece that could theoretically fit through the biggest holed mesh in airsoft: no wonder then that the one time I had a fragment of BB hit me in the eye through my Hero Shark Daggernose, it felt just like a bit of sand blown into my eye from a beach - irritating, but not damaging (because I didn't rub it).

But if you can't be doing with 100% fog proof mesh, Revision Bullet Ant goggles are appropriately safe and, once you remove the foam dust filter, perform well at resisting fogging (but you will need anti-fog wipes as well).

Advertisement