Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oireachtas TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

The Cush wrote: »
    €963,278
    how much does it actually cost for 2rn to carry a tv channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

how much does it actually cost for 2rn to carry oir tv

Ask 2RN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

how much does it actually cost for 2rn to carry oir tv

They spent 18m last year.

2mux = 7m each est
    Radio = 4m est

SD channel = 770,000 est where 9 SD channels exist

Based on rte ann report 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Elmo wrote: »
    They spent 18m last year.

2mux = 7m each est
    Radio = 4m est

SD channel = 770,000 est where 9 SD channels exist

Based on rte ann report 13

ok so the getting an extra 200k in income to fund themselves

why does it cost them 770k? whats invovled in providing a channel?

That's an estimate I could be way of and it is based on a full mux something that currently doesn't exist.

Cost possibly include engineers, electricity, staff, site maintenance etc

You should prob ask to visit a site or 2rn hq

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Do they not have to pay interest on the €70m they borrowed, and repay it as well, and pay depreciation on the equipment? €70m @ 5% is €3.5m plus the same for depreciation gives €7m a year.

Because of the fuss TV3 made about paying for DTT, the charges are on a cost plus basis on a per megabyte of bandwidth. This means the until we get to about four muxes (where the differences are small), vacant channels cost all operators quite a bit. Currently there are two HD and three SD channels broadcasting test cards, for no apparent reason, except if they broadcast, say, Euronews (which RTE get free) it would cost RTE €900k a year. So if TV3 just paid up what was asked (which is probably the same as they are paying now and less than the analogue charges), they could fill the vacant channels with the likes of Euronews.

These 3 documents contain all the information related to the transmission and multiplexing tariffs
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1371.pdf
    http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/2RN-Wholesale-Access-Reference-Offer-29-May-2014.pdf
    http://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/rte-saorview-wholesale-access-reference-offer-2nd-march-2014.pdf

Do they not have to pay interest on the €70m they borrowed, and repay it as well, and pay depreciation on the equipment? €70m @ 5% is €3.5m plus the same for depreciation gives €7m a year.

They borrowed €38.25m back in Dec 2010 for the DTT upgrade, the rest came from their own resources.

2RN's accounts for 2013 are available here - http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2rn-Regulated-Accounts-Market-A-Dec-2013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

RTÉ would probably love to sell off 2RN (they have already moved them off the Donnybrook campus), but have had no offers. Now if 2RN is such a rip-off money spinner charging way over the odds as TV3 alleges then why aren't companies queuing up to buy 2RN?

• Advertisement

2RN hasn't been for sale since 2002 and they were against the plan when it was forced to sell by the then goverment.

Moving it to Tallaght and the trading name change was only optics, it's still a 100% owned subsidiary of RTÉ.

Look at Telecom Eireann **** up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The current government will not sell it at any rate. Arguably it should be fully demerged from RTÉ but that would require primary legislation and also would possibly raise questions about compensating RTÉ for the loss of the capital assets.

icdg wrote: »
    The current government will not sell it at any rate. Arguably it should be fully demerged from RTÉ but that would require primary legislation and also would possibly raise questions about compensating RTÉ for the loss of the capital assets.
    Well surely RTÉ would get the proceeds of the sale of part of it's business!?
    I agree it should be a stand alone semi-state and free RTÉ of the responsibility for the transmission of other broadcasters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Well surely RTÉ would get the proceeds of the sale of part of it's business!?

Not if there we no proceeds; i.e. 2RN was demerged from RTÉ and remained in the public sector. Or if the company was only sold at a future date.

It was one of the issues which led to the very unsatisfactory solution at ESB whereby EirGrid has control of the electricity grid but ESB still owns it. Apparently losing the assets would have had implications on ESB's ability to borrow (though I suspect there were other issues there too that RTÉ doesn't have).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think all the 'netwoks' should be merged into one semi-state. That is ESB Networks, Eirgrid, Bord Gais Networks, and 2RN, should become Ireland Networks, and then kept as strategic assets.

I think all the 'netwoks' should be merged into one semi-state. That is ESB Networks, Eirgrid, Bord Gais Networks, and 2RN, should become Ireland Networks, and then kept as strategic assets.

staying on topic in any case OTV would have to pay and could not throw their problems back to RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

A new label appeared on my sky hd box while searching for tests. The label is 9607 and the tuning details are as follows 10.744 H symbol rate 22.0 FEC 5/6. There is nothing on it at the moment but i would hazzard a guess this is for OTV.

natashaob6 wrote: »
    A new label appeared on my sky hd box while searching for tests. The label is 9607 and the tuning details are as follows 10.744 H symbol rate 22.0 FEC 5/6. There is nothing on it at the moment but i would hazzard a guess this is for OTV.

Could be, they will be making an announcement at the start of September.

Also I have it from a very good source that RTÉ in the early years did not pay to be carried on Sky and as far as they knew TV3 and TG4 did not pay either. €250,000 for some that is free to other broadcasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Could be, they will be making an announcement at the start of September.

Also I have it from a very good source that RTÉ in the early years did not pay to be carried on Sky and as far as they knew TV3 and TG4 did not pay either. €250,000 for some that is free to other broadcasters.

I think that is generally believed that Sky paid for the whole set up - base station/transponder rental etc and additionally paid RTE a premium for additional vieweds added over a certain threshold.

Good negotiationing by RTE !

Yea, but look what this was worth to Sky. How many millions have they taken out of Ireland in subscriptions over the years! The outlay for Sky was pennies in comparison.

Yea, but look what this was worth to Sky. How many millions have they taken out of Ireland in subscriptions over the years! The outlay for Sky was pennies in comparison.

So let them pay it back as part of the corporate responsibilities. The people setting up OTV really don't understand TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭stuartfanning

Dail back next week so this channel should launch on Sky. Is it on the Sky Irish EPG yet?

Dail back next week so this channel should launch on Sky. Is it on the Sky Irish EPG yet?

I was expecting an announcement.
    I expect that the CC will make a statement, no politician even one that is guarantee a return to the Dail will want a soft launch on sky.

I was expecting an announcement.
    I expect that the CC will make a statement, no politician even one that is guarantee a return to the Dail will want a soft launch on sky.

Or even any launch on Saorview. It is a disgrace that they are payng for it on Sky but not going on Saorview atall.

Or even any launch on Saorview. It is a disgrace that they are payng for it on Sky but not going on Saorview atall.

Particularly when it seems that OTV could go FTA Sat for the cost of going on Sky. No interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jimbo2007

Does anyone yet know what number OTV will be on? Thanks.

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Does anyone yet know what number OTV will be on? Thanks.

No will prob be in the news section.

Dáil Éireann is back from 14.30 tomorrow (Wednesday) and there is still no news anywhere about the launch on Sky of Oireachtas TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Dáil Éireann is back from 14.30 tomorrow (Wednesday) and there is still no news anywhere about the launch on Sky of Oireachtas TV.
    Oireachtas TV is now video testing on Sky. You can see the tests on 10.744 H 22.0 5/6 under the label 9607.

Yes I know that, my point was that no info has been provided on its EPG number. In fact there has been almost no publicity that it will be on Sky from tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

are the tests free to air? I hardly think there is any need to encrypt them.

• Advertisement

are the tests free to air? I hardly think there is any need to encrypt them.
    No they are encrypted for some unknown reason at the moment. Earlier they were not and an animated Test Card was shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

This channel is very much overdue - it's a pitty we don't see RTÉ 1 HD now too.

It is a pity it is not on Saorview - in fact it is a disgrace.

It is a pity it is not on Saorview - in fact it is a disgrace.
    It's surely only a matter of time..

irishfeen wrote: »
    It's surely only a matter of time..

No not unless 2rn remove their fees. Seems to me that the Oireachtas are happy to pay Sky €250,000 for a 24hr station rather than discuss the idea of either a time shared channel OR the idea of even a radio service on Saorview. Still no announcement. Encrypted FFS.:mad:

No not unless 2rn remove their fees. Seems to me that the Oireachtas are happy to pay Sky €250,000 for a 24hr station rather than discuss the idea of either a time shared channel OR the idea of even a radio service on Saorview. Still no announcement. Encrypted FFS.:mad:
    Can't understand why it would be encrypted on sky ... It might change yet. I suppose it all depends on fees requested - you know as well as I do that if the government were seen paying too much the press and opposition parties would jump on the bandwagon calling it a disgrace.

Can't understand why it would be encrypted on sky ... It might change yet. I suppose it all depends on fees requested - you know as well as I do that if the government were seen paying too much the press and opposition parties would jump on the bandwagon calling it a disgrace.

But it is a disgrace.

Bill the 226 politicians in expenses each month €331

But it is a disgrace.
    I wouldn't say 250k is a disgrace by any means - we must be one of the few countries in the world which doesn't have a parliamentary TV channel on all platforms. This should have been in place a decade ago.

This should have been in place a decade ago.
    But not ONLY on a foreign subscription platform! :mad:

• Advertisement

But not on a foreign subscription platform! :mad:

Where free carriage has been given to RTÉ, TV3 and TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

But not on a foreign subscription platform! :mad:

and encrypted so you have to be a sky subscriber to actually view it!!!!!

I have edited my OP to include the word ONLY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Just had a look at the test on Sky, it says "Test feed from UPC Dublin" on top of screen. Surprised Sky are using UPC for the uplink.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Just had a look at the test on Sky, it says "Test feed from UPC Dublin" on top of screen. Surprised Sky are using UPC for the uplink.

I am guessing that Oireachtas are also paying UPC.

But not ONLY on a foreign subscription platform! :mad:
    I suppose it all depends on whether Saorview are playing ball, they are damned if they do or damned if they don't .. If sky's fees are manageable but Saorview not then it's probably the right decision.

• Advertisement

I am guessing that Oireachtas are also paying UPC.

I believe it may be carried FOC to the Oireachtas like the other Irish channels on UPC, the trial channel has been carried this way for the last 3 years.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/11/15/00003.asp

I suppose it all depends on whether Saorview are playing ball, they are damned if they do or damned if they don't

RTÉ said it is not in a position to offer subsidised or discretionary tariffs on Saorview, the Oireachtas and the Dept of Comms are the people who can change the legislation to allow it to be carried on Saorview at a reduced or no fee.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91165399

It will be interesting where sky position OTV ... Seemingly only 503 & 504 are available under "News", it would take the place of BBC News/BBC Parliment.

504 would seem a good bet on the Irish Sky EPG, as there is no way that BBC Parliament will ever be added to it. We should see later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

504 would seem a good bet on the Irish Sky EPG, as there is no way that BBC Parliament will ever be added to it. We should see later.

That would make sense as if/when RTE News Now launches it could go on 503.

• Advertisement
Advertisement