Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oireachtas TV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

504 would seem a good bet on the Irish Sky EPG, as there is no way that BBC Parliament will ever be added to it. We should see later.
    Yeah 504 makes sense doesn't it - it's a real pitty BBC News 24 isn't on the Irish EPG ... Much better then Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭stuartfanning

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yeah 504 makes sense doesn't it - it's a real pitty BBC News 24 isn't on the Irish EPG ... Much better then Sky.
    It can still be viewed in ROI via 'Add Channels' can't it? It is strange that BBC never had it added to the Irish EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

but I thought the transponders with irish epg specific data was full and thats the reason why RTE1 HD has not appeared on sky. Forgive my ignorance but if this is the case how can they be now able to put OTV on the epg?

but I thought the transponders with irish epg specific data was full and thats the reason why RTE1 HD has not appeared on sky. Forgive my ignorance but if this is the case how can they be now able to put OTV on the epg?
    There might be room for one more SD channel on that Irish transponder (I actually don't know) but as said the government might actually be paying sky for the uplink so it could be placed on any transponder.

Like BBC Parliament in ROI, I would think that OTV will be available in the UK via 'Add Channels'! Time will tell!

It seems OTV will not be available at all in the UK on Sky. For some unexplained reason it has been encrypted, so it cannot be tune in via 'Add Channels' in the UK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It seems OTV will not be available at all in the UK on Sky. For some unexplained reason it has been encrypted, so it cannot be tune in via 'Add Channels' in the UK!!

Or available to FTA Sat viewers in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I had the EPG for OTV with the 9607 label trialling on my FTA Triax combi box for some weeks now. Then it magically disappeared into thin air sometime last week.

perhaps someone should ask their local td why they are letting it be encrypted on a foreign owned platform? maybe they dont want the Brits to see such riviting world changing stuff as the public accounts committee or Taoiseachs question time in case they get ideas....

perhaps someone should ask their local td why they are letting it be encrypted on a foreign owned platform? maybe they dont want the Brits to see such riviting world changing stuff as the public accounts committee or Taoiseachs question time in case they get ideas....
    LOTS of Irish living in the UK. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Oireachtas TV on Sky Epg 574.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

galtee boy wrote: »

will this be added to my sky tv favourites, the answer is no

what next on sky on demand, the oireachtas tv player,!

My god the sky EPG news section is now all over the place.. It's actually ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ftakeith wrote: »
    what next on sky on demand, the oireachtas tv player,!

Why not? There are people who would get more use from that than say Sky Sports on demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

My god the sky EPG news section is now all over the place.. It's actually ridiculous.

570s are the overflow for the news section, BBC News HD is 570 for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Oireachtas TV now on test channel 17 on Saorview.

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Nice spot, they must have came to some agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

I wonder is it on a test period and if it is is it free?

I wonder is it on a test period and if it is is it free?

How long is a test period? :pac:

• Advertisement

Good news. A channel like this should never be hidden beyond a Sky paywall or UPC subscription

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

+1.

Good news indeed.

but are they paying the 900k or so per year for the transmission fees?

Unknown right now, it must've been a very recent agreement as its still in test transmission mode.

Threre was a Dáil question down for written answer on this yesterday, reply not up yet
    1629. To ask the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources in relation to
    the new Oireachtas TV channel, which will be available to households with UPC, Eircom or Sky,
    if the channel will be available on Saorview; if so, if there will be a cost to the State for Saorview
    distribution; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Stephen S. Donnelly.

The Cush wrote: »
    Threre was a Dáil question down for written answer on this yesterday, reply not up yet

Let me give you the standard Minister for Communication Answer (though it will prob be more civil service-speak)

In relation to the availability of Oireachtas TV on Saorview. Oireachtas TV is controlled by the Houses of the Oireachtas and under the Broadcasting Act 2009 it has been charged with the role out of a TV service for the Houses of the Oireachtas. Saorview is a whole own subsidiary of RTÉ and Independent state body. As minister I cannot intervene with contracts between either party.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Let me give you the standard Minister for Communication Answer (though it will prob be more civil service-speak)

In relation to the availability of Oireachtas TV on Saorview. Oireachtas TV is controlled by the Houses of the Oireachtas and under the Broadcasting Act 2009 it has been charged with the role out of a TV service for the Houses of the Oireachtas. Saorview is a whole own subsidiary of RTÉ and Independent state body. As minister I cannot intervene with contracts between either party.

Ah Elmo you are lost here.. you should be a civil servant...:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Perhaps those of us who are pleased with the arrival of this service let Stephen Donnelly know we appreciate his interest in this matter and thank him for his posible early result in getting it onto Saorview.:)

Stephen.Donnelly@oireachtas.ie

I am sure he would appreciate it.

Perhaps those of us who are pleased with the arrival of this service let Stephen Donnelly know we appreciate his interest in this matter and thank him for his posible early result in getting it onto Saorview.:)

Stephen.Donnelly@oireachtas.ie

I am sure he would appreciate it.

In fairness there have been a few question over the years from at least two TDs.

It obvious he had noting to do with getting it onto Saorview, it he did he'd know the answers already.

Also this deal was done between the Houses Commission and Saorview, Stephen Donnelly isn't a member of the Houses Commission.

Fair play to him for asking the question tho'.

just getting black screen here with sound. do i have to retune to see this wonderful channel? box is ariva 120.

• Advertisement

just getting black screen here with sound. do i have to retune to see this wonderful channel? box is ariva 120.

Did we speak too soon, Oireachtas TV seems to be gone completely from Saorview , including LCN 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

On my LCN17 right now (Samsung TV)

Was gone, must be back. Will check my tv later.

Still here for me also, is only a test trasmission so subject to interruption.

Certainly on now. I'm delighted to see it FTA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

I was checking the EPG and it seems that the "Test Transmission" is up to 0:59 Friday and starting again at 1:01 Friday up to 0:59 Saturday with "No Information" for the rest of the EPG

I was checking the EPG and it seems that the "Test Transmission" is up to 0:59 Friday and starting again at 1:01 Friday up to 0:59 Saturday with "No Information" for the rest of the EPG

Same as previous test transmissions, epg on a 24hr loop.

Any ideas as to how long it will be a test transmission, before going on the EPG with programme details etc ?

re-tuned it in last night. was riveting stuff about horseracing ireland and funding. While its nice to have a new channel the audience for it is probably in the 100's never mind thousands.

• Advertisement

The written reply
    1629. Deputy Stephen S. Donnelly
    asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources in relation to the new Oireachtas TV channel, which will be available to households with UPC, Eircom or Sky, if the channel will be available on Saorview; if so, if there will be a cost to the State for Saorview distribution; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Alex White): Sections 125 and 126 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 make the necessary provision to allow for the development of an Oireachtas TV channel to be known as the “Houses of the Oireachtas Channel” on the SAORVIEW TV network. The legislation provides that the channel should be established by the Commission of the Houses of the Oireachtas and that the oversight of the channel should be the responsibility of the Joint Administration Committee, which is a joint committee of the Houses of the Oireachtas.

The Commission of the Houses of the Oireachtas may enter into such contracts as are necessary to establish and maintain the Houses of the Oireachtas Channel. In this context, I should mention that section 126 of the Act amends Schedule 1 of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission Act 2003 to enable the Commission to fund the channel and to meet all expenses incurred in this respect.

RTÉ has built, owns and controls the SAORVIEW TV network and is responsible for the roll-out, coverage and operation of that network. This is in accordance with Part 8 of the Broadcasting Act 2009, which provides that the development of the RTÉ network is an operational matter for RTÉ. RTÉ has informed my Department that there are on-going operational costs associated with the delivery of the SAORVIEW service. All broadcasters availing of SAORVIEW are required to pay their fair proportion of the associated costs.

Decisions regarding the carriage of Oireachtas TV on SAORVIEW are a matter for the Commission of the Houses of the Oireachtas, subject of course to the agreement of the necessary commercial terms with RTÉ as owner of the SAORVIEW network. I understand that contacts between officials of the Houses of the Oireachtas and SAORVIEW management have taken place and I hope that these contacts and discussions come to an early positive conclusion.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2014091700106?opendocument#WRGGG03550

The written reply

That pat Rabbitte fellow and his civil servants :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

re-tuned it in last night. was riveting stuff about horseracing ireland and funding. While its nice to have a new channel the audience for it is probably in the 100's never mind thousands.

I doubt if any of the viewers were in their hundred's, maybe 60's. I doubt anyone in Ireland is in the thousands - that was Methusula I think.

But it is boring old stuff - but the budget is coming.:D

But it is boring old stuff - but the budget is coming.:D

See it across 4 channels.

See it across 4 channels.

No, what the OTV will be showing is what is going on in the chamber, what the other channels will be showing after Baldie and the little guy sits down will be the commentariat discussing what they think he meant, and how it will affect little Mary Muffet and her 14 kids or Mr Sean Fatz and his high income with no kids.

We always miss what the lesser fish in the Dail have to say. [Maybe that is a good thing, but we should have a choice].

No, what the OTV will be showing is what is going on in the chamber, what the other channels will be showing after Baldie and the little guy sits down will be the commentariat discussing what they think he meant, and how it will affect little Mary Muffet and her 14 kids or Mr Sean Fatz and his high income with no kids.

We always miss what the lesser fish in the Dail have to say. [Maybe that is a good thing, but we should have a choice].

RTÉ ONE main speeches followed by special news
    RTÉ2 the other speeches
    RTÉ NN as RTÉ ONE
    OTV all the speeches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

RTÉ ONE main speeches followed by special news
    RTÉ2 the other speeches
    RTÉ NN as RTÉ ONE
    OTV all the speeches

First piece of budget business will be increasing the hair and makeup allowance for tds.

First piece of budget business will be increasing the hair and makeup allowance for tds.

More money for wigs?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Is it on free satellite? Or do you need sky?

And if it's on free satellite, does anyone know the tuning info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Is it on free satellite? Or do you need sky?

And if it's on free satellite, does anyone know the tuning info?

You need Sky if viewing on satellite but it is also on LCN 17 on Saorview if you have it as a test transmission.

Funnily enough, The Irish Times have not mentioned in their article that it is testing on Saorview. I have to say that is a disgrace for them to forget that important fact.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/tv-channel-to-broadcast-oireachtas-to-1-1-million-homes-1.1937593

Advertisement