Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Optiplex 745 Win8 green screen

Options
  • 06-07-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Having issues with a PC at home. Setup as follows;

Dell Optiplex 745
    Intel Core 2 2.13Ghz
    32bit Windows 8.1
    3GB ram

Only some times does the PC start correctly and then sometimes when it does the screen turns green and we have to restart the PC. At first we thought maybe a graphics card driver issue so removed the DVI card which was not being used and thought that fixed it for a while but the problem is still occuring.

Could any body please help identify what the issue might be?

Thanks

EDIT: Sometimes the colour is not green and is red or just black etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is the cable to the monitor secure. Could be loose?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

beauf wrote: »
    Is the cable to the monitor secure. Could be loose?

Cable is screwed in securely, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately not so simple

Before removing the DVI card it would not startup properly and when we restarted would get the message windows failed to restart. Could run in safe mode alright.

Forgot another symptom is that sometimes the fans start to go out of control and sound like the computer is trying to lift off. Was just reminded there as I tried to restart in safe mode and came back to the computer sounding like v8 engine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Forgot another symptom is that sometimes the fans start to go out of control and sound like the computer is trying to lift off. Was just reminded there as I tried to restart in safe mode and came back to the computer sounding like v8 engine.

It's possible your PSU may not be up to the task of running the separate video card. Or else it's faulty. Not easy to replace those Optiplex ones either.. Even using the onboard video do the same issues occur?
    I had a similar issue with my Dads old computer. Screen would go grey/light blue and system needed to be manually restarted to get back. I exhausted all avenues and narrowed it down to the PSU being the culprit (it was a mini case with small PSU so I re-built system in another case and worked fine with different PSU).

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd start it on a linux live CD to eliminate any windows issues. Fans going on full rpm can be a number of things. Some systems do that until the OS loads and the power saving kicks in to throttle back the fans.

That said a quick google suggests this is a common issue with those Dells of failing capacitors on the motherboard. Maybe its not that but it seems likely. http://tinyurl.com/mk5eabx

If it is that, its not really worth fixing. You'd pick up a faster 2nd working machine for 60~100. Though people are looking crazy money for very old machines. You could nearly build a new basic machine for around 150 (not incl OS).

Try the live Linux CD. Its quick and easy. If it still does it then its hardware.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'll give the live cd a whirl and see if it helps. We could use the win 8 licence on a new PC. Was going to suggest if it cost more than 100 to maybe build it buy something as a replacement. Relatively new hd in this aswell so will make a new replacement even cheaper.

Advertisement