Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Care bags for homeless - your suggestions please

Options
  • 06-07-2014 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Dear all,

A few friends and I have decided to help some of the homeless people around Cork by packing up care bags for them. See an example of this concept here.

As the resident Survivalist and the only one of us with an eBay account I've volunteered to create a list of items we'll include in the bags and have given this a lot of thought.

We're looking at a maximum cost of around 10 Euro per bag, so I'm hoping to stock up from the Eurosaver places.

I went out today and put together a knapsack with the following items:

Mini First Aid Kit
    Small pack Andrex Wipes
    Roll on deodorant
    Bottle Shower gel
    Metal camping mug
    Pack of mints
    Toothbrush & Toothpaste

I was also going to suggest that we add a sandwich or some fruit to be placed in each bag on the day we actually give them away.

I know that as Survivalists you have all considered scenarios where people are thrust on their resources and have either prepared or know how to prepare Bug Out Bags so I can't think of anyone better than all of you to ask if you think there's anything that should be added or taken away from this list.

All thoughts are welcome.

N.B I hope the Moderators will understand that the reason I am posting this topic in the Survivalism forum is because I want to draw specifically on the expertise on Survivalists. I also hope you won't allow this thread to degenerate into a discussion about the merits or otherwise of helping the homeless. My money and time is my own to spend as I please.

Moreover if anyone is wondering why I have taken it upon myself to help the homeless directly rather than donate or volunteer for a larger organisation, then you really don't belong in the Survivalism section! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Nice idea OP. I know in Dublin some of the groups that help the homeless are always appealing for socks and underwear so that might be an idea. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Fiolina wrote: »
    Nice idea OP. I know in Dublin some of the groups that help the homeless are always appealing for socks and underwear so that might be an idea. Good luck.

Many thanks, I'll bear that in mind - was thinking maybe a Penneys voucher instead? That way they could buy their own underwear/socks? I'm trying to make the bags as Unisex as possible you see to keep things simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Stamps, paper and a pen. If just one person decides to use them to reach out to someone then it has to be a good thing. Also a small laminated card with as many helpline details as you can find. Many people on the streets, especially if it's their first time, are unsure of what help is available.
    Try to avoid items with any financial value as some of those fighting with drink or drug related issues may find the temptation to sell them on too great to resist.

I would strongly advise contacting a homeless charity for advice as it is very difficult to put yourself in the dark places most of the homeless are in.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Timfy wrote: »
    Stamps, paper and a pen. If just one person decides to use them to reach out to someone then it has to be a good thing. Also a small laminated card with as many helpline details as you can find. Many people on the streets, especially if it's their first time, are unsure of what help is available.
    Try to avoid items with any financial value as some of those fighting with drink or drug related issues may find the temptation to sell them on too great to resist.

I would strongly advise contacting a homeless charity for advice as it is very difficult to put yourself in the dark places most of the homeless are in.

Hi TImfy,

Many thanks to you for sharing your thoughts. I've e-mailed the local homeless charity and am waiting to hear back from them.

With respect to the homeless I know illiteracy is fairly common but I agree with you it's a good idea to include this all the same. I had thought of including a pen but you're right in saying it's no good without stamps, envelopes and paper. Do you think maybe if we stamped say two envelopes and put them in each bag along with some paper and a pen that would be enough? Perhaps International stamps would be best?

I've tried to make sure the goods are nothing that could be sold or bartered - individually none of them are worth more than two Euro.

You're right to be concerned about drink or drugs - this is why I don't just want to stick a few coins in their paper cup, it's short sighted and could be dangerous if they use the cash to buy anything harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

With respect to the homeless I know illiteracy is fairly common but I agree with you it's a good idea to include this all the same. I had thought of including a pen but you're right in saying it's no good without stamps, envelopes and paper. Do you think maybe if we stamped say two envelopes and put them in each bag along with some paper and a pen that would be enough? Perhaps International stamps would be best?

You can get blank pre-paid envelopes from a post office hth

• Advertisement

You might get a few ideas out of this :

Easy access to water is one prob

http://culture.squidoo.com/what_to_buy_if_you_are_homeless

gctest50 wrote: »
    You can get blank pre-paid envelopes from a post office hth

Really? I know they do that in UK but never saw them in Post Offices, I'll take a look, thanks.

They'll post them to your door

http://www.anpost.ie/anpost/downloads/anpost/StampsDirectOrder.pdf

about €1 each

I have just received a PM and as such should clarify that although I appreciate blankets, socks and mittens will be welcome in the winter months, right now it's very warm and they won't be necessary.

I'm also trying to avoid placing perishable items in the bags to make sure they have a long shelf life. My friends and I will place food in them the day we use them, probably something like fruit/sandwiches. All thoughts are welcome as ever, many thanks to everyone for contributing so far.

You might get a few ideas out of this :

Easy access to water is one prob

http://culture.squidoo.com/what_to_buy_if_you_are_homeless

I really can't thank you enough for this gctest.

In brief, some of the suggestions include:

Mylar space blanket
    Watch/Travel Alarm
    Bar soap (more compact and lighter than shower gel)
    Hairbrush
    Plastic drop cloth
    Prepay phone
    Clothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Used to work with a homeless organisation few years ago and we'd give out bags with this type of stuff.

Water bottle
    Socks
    Tin of Tuna and crackers (with plastic cutlery)
    Granola/cereal bar
    Apple/Orange/Pear
    Digestive biscuits with sachet of jam and butter
    Wet hand wipes
    Pack of tissues
    Toothbrush and toothpaste,mouthwash (alcohol free)
    Plasters
    Chapstick/vaseline
    Comb or small brush
    Mints, cough drops or chewing gum.

Corsodyl or similar ( need to ask in the Dentisty part of boards ) helps gum disease :

http://www.pharmacystore.ie/Corsodyl-1--Dental-Gel-50g?sort=p.price&order=DESC&manufacturer_id=152

Used to work with a homeless organisation few years ago and we'd give out bags with this type of stuff.

Water bottle
    Socks
    Tin of Tuna and crackers (with plastic cutlery)
    Granola/cereal bar
    Apple/Orange/Pear
    Digestive biscuits with sachet of jam and butter
    Wet hand wipes
    Pack of tissues
    Toothbrush and toothpaste,mouthwash (alcohol free)
    Plasters
    Chapstick/vaseline
    Comb or small brush
    Mints, cough drops or chewing gum.

This is very helpful thank you, exactly the kind of stuff they'll need. Cereal bars in particular would keep for a long time I imagine?

I'm not sure about the vaseline though - is it really useful to the homeless? I know it can be used to treat rashes, is it for that reason? I imagine sleeping in the same clothes and showering infrequently must make skin care a common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Think this is a great idea,and well done for thinking of it.maybe skip the shower gel?no use without a shower.also,I'd never give a stranger( or a friend)deodorant.some might appreciate it,but could be misconstrued.maybe have a walk round the charity shops and pick up cheap,clean t- shirts.socks are good and pretty much unisex.packets of biscuits maybe.gloves and lightweight(charity shop)blankets-look out for cheap ones now,and you'll have them ready for winter.laminated card with helpline numbers is a great idea.wonder if any of the fast food places do vouchers?not too nutritious,I know,but hot food at least.or get chatting to a few,sure they'll be able to tell you what they need the most,and you can refine your package.good luck with this-every respect for what you're doing:-)

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Think this is a great idea,and well done for thinking of it.maybe skip the shower gel?no use without a shower.also,I'd never give a stranger( or a friend)deodorant.some might appreciate it,but could be misconstrued.maybe have a walk round the charity shops and pick up cheap,clean t- shirts.socks are good and pretty much unisex.packets of biscuits maybe.gloves and lightweight(charity shop)blankets-look out for cheap ones now,and you'll have them ready for winter.laminated card with helpline numbers is a great idea.wonder if any of the fast food places do vouchers?not too nutritious,I know,but hot food at least.or get chatting to a few,sure they'll be able to tell you what they need the most,and you can refine your package.good luck with this-every respect for what you're doing:-)

Hi Zoe,

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It's interesting you mention fast food vouchers as this idea first occurred to me when I saw a young homeless girl outside my local shopping centre. I bought her a burger for McDonalds - she seemed grateful but I couldn't help but feeling like this wasn't enough, plus the food they do is terribly bad for you.

I understand your feelings about personal hygiene items but everyone I've spoken to so far has said these are useful items to the homeless. Needless to say high levels of personal grooming are going to be necessary for getting a job.

I'm looking into socks and gloves as we speak. Ideally I'd like to do Unisex bags, plus space concerns mean that clothing is unlikely to be included but I thought maybe a Penneys voucher so they could buy themselves some underwear etc? What do you think?

The store I visited today was selling those space blankets, will definitely pick some up next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

This is very helpful thank you, exactly the kind of stuff they'll need. Cereal bars in particular would keep for a long time I imagine?

I'm not sure about the vaseline though - is it really useful to the homeless? I know it can be used to treat rashes, is it for that reason? I imagine sleeping in the same clothes and showering infrequently must make skin care a common problem.

Yeah cereal bars keep for a good while I think.Used to throw in plain chocolate bars too if I remember correctly(something like dairy milk etc)the Vaseline was just for chapped,cracked lips really,could use any chapstick thing either like.

Used to put Pot Noodle in them too,but stopped because the lads had hassle getting hot water from shops etc,unfortunately.

Thanks chief, this is very helpful. I considered cutlery earlier today when I saw some in the Euro store but I think there are legal issues surrounding carrying knives around. God knows the poor b@stards lives are complicated enough without them running afoul of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

What about protein bars rather than (or as well as) cereal bars? I'd imagine that much of the food they get is carb heavy - sandwiches, fast food etc. so they could be fairly lacking in protein?

On the same idea, how about multivitamins? Tesco do very cheap own brand supplements - it's €1.13 for 90 Multivitamins with Iron, and until 21st July they're 3 for 2!

Also, this wouldn't be for all the care bags but quite a few homeless people have pet dogs with them, if you knew you were giving a pack to someone with a dog you could include dog food or treats. For some homeless people their pet can be the most important thing in the world and they'll often give up food so their pet can eat.

nibtrix wrote: »
    What about protein bars rather than (or as well as) cereal bars? I'd imagine that much of the food they get is carb heavy - sandwiches, fast food etc. so they could be fairly lacking in protein?

On the same idea, how about multivitamins? Tesco do very cheap own brand supplements - it's €1.13 for 90 Multivitamins with Iron, and until 21st July they're 3 for 2!

Also, this wouldn't be for all the care bags but quite a few homeless people have pet dogs with them, if you knew you were giving a pack to someone with a dog you could include dog food or treats. For some homeless people their pet can be the most important thing in the world and they'll often give up food so their pet can eat.

Hi nibtrix,

Some excellent suggestions thank you. I saw vitamin tablets for sale in the store today and toyed with the idea. Was just worried about giving medication to them, you know how it can backfire sometimes.

• Advertisement

:o forgot about that

/ cancels plans for making spear-fishing gear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Hi nibtrix,

Some excellent suggestions thank you. I saw vitamin tablets for sale in the store today and toyed with the idea. Was just worried about giving medication to them, you know how it can backfire sometimes.

True, I didn't think of that! Between potential literacy problems or influence of alcohol or drugs someone might take the whole bottle. You're probably right to avoid that.

Another thought, you could put in low value Tesco or Dunnes vouchers, rather than Pennys or fast food. That way they could pick up whatever they need - food, toiletries or clothes.

nibtrix wrote: »
    True, I didn't think of that! Between potential literacy problems or influence of alcohol or drugs someone might take the whole bottle. You're probably right to avoid that.

Another thought, you could put in low value Tesco or Dunnes vouchers, rather than Pennys or fast food. That way they could pick up whatever they need - food, toiletries or clothes.

Thanks nibtrix, I'm looking into it as we speak. When I lived in UK the Tesco Gift cards couldn't be used to buy tobacco or alcohol but am not sure if the same is true here in Ireland.

Just had an e-mail back from a local homeless charity.

I won't copy and paste but suffice it to say they told me to forget this idea and just go and volunteer for them, or make a donation. Apparently individual acts of charity aren't to be encouraged.

The message was a simple request for information. Just as well I asked all of you for advice or I'd have nothing.

Post collapse we can be armed to the teeth but in the mean time we'd best not scare the straights. :-D

Post collapse we can be armed to the teeth but in the mean time we'd best not scare the straights. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Just had an e-mail back from a local homeless charity.

I won't copy and paste but suffice it to say they told me to forget this idea and just go and volunteer for them, or make a donation. Apparently individual acts of charity aren't to be encouraged.

The message was a simple request for information. Just as well I asked all of you for advice or I'd have nothing.

You're going great.when you donate to a charity most of the money goes in 'administration'.if you can do something more direct and personal,you're cutting out the middle man and giveng so much more..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I work in low threshold homeless services , in all honesty donate clothes like hoodies , socks and underwear directly to your local charity.You can donate food to foodbanks if you want , food provision is ok in Ireland , but if I were you judging by the way you are motivated , volunteer.

I work in low threshold homeless services , in all honesty donate clothes like hoodies , socks and underwear directly to your local charity.You can donate food to foodbanks if you want , food provision is ok in Ireland , but if I were you judging by the way you are motivated , volunteer.

Hi corner, thanks for your messages. I'm in the process of donating most of clothing to charity shops as my girlfriend has taken it upon herself to revamp my wardrobe!

We do have a soup kitchen here in Cork -Penny Dinners, which provides hot meals to the poor and they're always grateful to accept donations of food and kitchen accessories.

However I know if I were homeless I'd rather go hungry than go cap in hand to a charity, plus I'd want to keep clean so am trying to concentrate on articles which give people a little dignity.

Of course this isn't to criticise the great work being done by charities all over Ireland, it's just I've always preferred to do things myself when I can. As a Survivalist, I'm sure you sympathise. :-)

• Advertisement

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    You're going great.when you donate to a charity most of the money goes in 'administration'.if you can do something more direct and personal,you're cutting out the middle man and giveng so much more..

Thank you Zoe, you're very kind. My real reason I want to do it this way aside from being a lone wolf is because I want to help the most vulnerable people - the elderly and women.

I realise this is playing to the right wing mindset of drawing a distinction between a deserving and undeserving poor which is unfair, but we must admit these people are the most vulnerable.

Fingers crossed it'll go over well. Will keep you posted.

Advertisement