Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restaurants Friary Street

Options
  • 06-07-2014 6:12pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

"Eat" opened a few weeks ago.

"Salt Yard" opened this weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

It's great for Friary Street which is probably the least busy central street in Kilkenny. Too many empty shops there so the more reasons for people to go there the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

I found The Salt Yard online (facebook) and it looks fab (Spanish/Irish) but what sort of restaurant is the other one "Eat"? cant see anything about it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Mostly seems to be extra healthy foods.

Here's a link to their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Deadly that's looks good too and Sushi mmmh that's lunch sorted for my next trip to KK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Over the years I often thought there would be a market in Kilkenny for healthy fast food so glad to see these guys open and hope it works out well for them. Reckon I'll be paying them a visit myself.

Only drawback to that location is parking is non existent so you'd want to be on foot in town anyway. Any time I get take away I like to park right outside (Domino's Mario's etc).

Anyway Here's their website www.eatkilkenny.ie and their menu here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Will definitely check them out for lunch this week.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I feel like im promoting these places but honestly nothing to do with either.

Review on salt yard
    http://anygivenfood.com/salt-yard-kilkenny/

Amazing selection of high quality eateries in Kilkenny really. Hope there's enough business around to keep them all going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Was thinking the same, fast becoming the restaurant capital of Ireland.
    A reason in itself for people to travel here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Sky King wrote: »
    Amazing selection of high quality eateries in Kilkenny really. Hope there's enough business around to keep them all going!!

Why?? the cream rises to the top, a few places food wise could be done closing and letting better places open

• Advertisement

a few places food wise could be done closing and letting better places open
    It's often the case alright, but not always.

You could have a situation whereby you have businesses delivering the same product all struggling and fighting for the same limited number of customers, but still managing to just about stay open... the overall standard will drop.

Or, given that the market for 'high end' dining is limited, and it's saturated, so you might have a situation whereby a business pitches itself as being more affordable, offering a cheaper (and inferior) product.

Though I suppose 'better' could just mean better value for money and not just more expensive.

Fair play to them for taking the punt - there's no way I would open a restaurant in Kilkenny these days, we have so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Petronella's off High Street is very nice also.

Had lovely hake there last week.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Went to the Saltyard for lunch today, very nice indeed. Will be back for dinner. Have to say the interior is really impressive, lovely looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭domkk

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has been to the new Spanish restaurant on Friary street in Kilkenny.

Upon entering the place I thought this looks good, set well nice and bright.

We waited to be seated, but then as soon as we were greeted we were told we had to be gone and off the table in an hour and half to two hours.

This put a dampner on the evening straight away as we felt very uncomfortable and couldn't have a relaxing evening. This is not long at all by the time water and olives arrive to menus being given to placing the orders and for food to arrive.

All the time we were there it was a case of looking at our watches to see how long was left.

Now the food was excellent, top marks to the chef and the waitress we had was too.

She asked once we finished the mains if we wanted to order desert,but unfortunately we told her we'd love to but have to be off the table very soon.

This would have brought the restaurant more income in extra orders plus extra drinks we would have ordered.

Visit this place if you want to be herdered in and out like cattle or in a school canteen. This will be the restaurants downfall as dining is supposed to be a relaxing experience, but definitely not here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

domkk wrote: »
    Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has been to the new Spanish restaurant on Friary street in Kilkenny.

Upon entering the place I thought this looks good, set well nice and bright.

We waited to be seated, but then as soon as we were greeted we were told we had to be gone and off the table in an hour and half to two hours.

This put a dampner on the evening straight away as we felt very uncomfortable and couldn't have a relaxing evening. This is not long at all by the time water and olives arrive to menus being given to placing the orders and for food to arrive.

All the time we were there it was a case of looking at our watches to see how long was left.

Now the food was excellent, top marks to the chef and the waitress we had was too.

She asked once we finished the mains if we wanted to order desert,but unfortunately we told her we'd love to but have to be off the table very soon.

This would have brought the restaurant more income in extra orders plus extra drinks we would have ordered.

Visit this place if you want to be herdered in and out like cattle or in a school canteen. This will be the restaurants downfall as dining is supposed to be a relaxing experience, but definitely not here!

Surely 2 hours is loads of time? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mefynn

I have to say we didnt have a good experience here either,very little of what was offered on menu available,main course arrived before starter...when we asked for starters 1st we were told food was brought out as it was ready?
    and no fish dish at all,need to have a look at what they are at or it wont last,and 2 hours is not long if service is slow and you go out for a realxing meal and few drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

It is expensive enough. The desert are very dear, some can be shared though as very rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

I was impressed with the Salt Yard as were my friends. Great food and service and very cool surrounds! Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I was impressed with the Salt Yard as were my friends. Great food and service and very cool surrounds! Would go back in a heartbeat.

I should have mentioned service in my previous post, it was fantastic. Ashling the manager is a great host the service can't be faulted, but as I said it was a tad expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I went to the Salt Yard and altough its is a nice place it had the following issues.

Beer wasn't cold (nor insurmountable but still)

Patas Bravas were barly warm, not good enough really

Cheese board was very poor with too much of that crap stout and chedder muck, which is hardly in place dominating a spanish resteraunt cheese board.

Meat board was nice but way overpriced..

Id say in fairness itll improve but not a good start

Patas Bravas were barly warm, not good enough really

Typical in Spain to get luke-warm food - maybe they were going for the authentic service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ailsabt

Actually I found the patatas bravas were hot and delicious. I got some cold vegetable dish presented in a jar which looked interesting but was quite bland and tasteless. A lot of cold roasted onion at the bottom! Got the asparagus dish to which was also bland

• Salt Yard was getting a paint this morning. I wonder if something new is ready to go in there.
    • Lebanese restaurant is been set up in the old Subway unit on Friary Street. Work has started and poster on the window.
    • There is a poster on the window of 'Eat' saying a restaurant opening soon, Something Italian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Sightly off topic but did I see the Chinese in Irish Town has been let? Would be nice if it were, that little run of vacated buildings is sad to see there.

kikel wrote: »
    • Salt Yard was getting a paint this morning. I wonder if something new is ready to go in there.
    • Lebanese restaurant is been set up in the old Subway unit on Friary Street. Work has started and poster on the window.
    • There is a poster on the window of 'Eat' saying a restaurant opening soon, Something Italian.

Lebanese usually = meaty yumness so that should be good to check out but I am not so sure about another Italian if indeed that is what is going in there... we already have Italian Connection, La Rivista, La Trattoria, Little Italy, Rinnuccini, and Prima... is there really a market in Kilkenny for a seventh Italian?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Lebanese usually = meaty yumness so that should be good to check out but I am not so sure about another Italian if indeed that is what is going in there... we already have Italian Connection, La Rivista, La Trattoria, Little Italy, Rinnuccini, and Prima... is there really a market in Kilkenny for a seventh Italian?

not to mention the Italian run takeaways....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

pegasus1 wrote: »
    not to mention the Italian run takeaways....

The Fast food mafia

Maybe referring to the new Italian as a restaurant was wrong.

• Advertisement

Salt yard is now Aroi.They're doing asian street food.

KK is their third location:

http://aroi.eu/

Advertisement