Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restaurants Friary Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

People I know who've been to their Limerick branch rate it very highly and it seems to be much better value than the saltyard.

Incidentally at the fallafal stand on the parade last thursday they were handing out fliers disassociating themselves from the new Lebanese place on Friary street, they made a point of stating it was run by a former Egyptian colleague. I suspect there's no love lost there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

kikel wrote: »
    Salt yard is now Aroi.They're doing asian street food.

KK is their third location:

http://aroi.eu/

Looks good, Nore won't be happy I'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

New Steak House going in to the old Chinese restaurant in Irish Town.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

New Steak House going in to the old Chinese restaurant in Irish Town.

I like Steak.

catbear wrote: »

Incidentally at the fallafal stand on the parade last thursday they were handing out fliers disassociating themselves from the new Lebanese place on Friary street, they made a point of stating it was run by a former Egyptian colleague. I suspect there's no love lost there.

My partner has mentioned the cues have got very long on the parade and she wonders if it is the guy that did all the serving that is opening on Friary street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

People I know who've been to their Limerick branch rate it very highly and it seems to be much better value than the saltyard.

Really looking forward to this one. I LOVE fallafal :)

Aroi menu looks great. Really hope this one lasts, Saltyard was just way too expensive. You have to be realistic with your prices, Saltyard didn't seem to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I ate at their restaurant in cork and it was spot on. Excellent food and great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Aroi menu looks great. Really hope this one lasts, Saltyard was just way too expensive. You have to be realistic with your prices, Saltyard didn't seem to get that.

Ate in Aroi on Friday. Great food. The waiter though got our ice cream orders wrong - both of them!

Cost € 46 for 2 mains, 2 starters, 2 ice creams, and a beer/tea but a main is €1 which I can see myself doing any evening instead of a takeaway

gonna try the lunch main+ ice cream for € 10 soon too.

Wow, that sounds really good value even with the order feckups which is understandable given their first weekend.

Ate in Aroi on Friday. Great food. The waiter though got our ice cream orders wrong - both of them!

Cost € 46 for 2 mains, 2 starters, 2 ice creams, and a beer/tea but a main is €1 which I can see myself doing any evening instead of a takeaway

gonna try the lunch main+ ice cream for € 10 soon too.

What's the Ice cream like?

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    What's the Ice cream like?

It was fine, 2 scoops for 3 euro, I would not have bothered myself , though cheaper than most desserts I guess. We only had because my other half was enjoying the food and ambience and simply wanted to stay longer

We were tempted to go there again over the weekend, and it got the OH's Asian taste buds approval

That's great to hear as I don't think I've had what I'd consider a proper asian taste experience in Ireland recently, especially in Kilkenny where asian dishes are blanded down to not frighten away people.

Ate in Arroi tonight, flipping great value for money and pretty authentic south east asian food and I live there for a while!

I would agree that the service could be improved, I had to ask three times for table water which only arrived after the food.

Still fab value though, the other eateries are going to have to lower their prices to beat this place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Eat in Arroi the other day myself do not rate the food at all. The food tasted like crap to be fair and all i could get of my red duck curry was hotness notting else no favours or anything like that. Also the food isn't great quality as there using frozen duck from China and not proper Irish duck. The duck was also deep fired and not cooked in the curry. Who hard is it to cook the duck in the curry as the hole point to getting a curry is to have the meat shoke up the curry and add taste extra taste to the meat.

They also don't do starters witch is stupid as i like having a starter before my meal so you have to order a side and you have to get it with your main witch is just planing stupid.

Service was shocking i don't mind bad service but this was another LV i was the only person in the place but still look 10 mins for me to get the bill. When there was 3 people working on the floor.

Also the Ice cream was giving to me in a plastic cup come on ?

Not one bit close to authentic Asian food when you don't even have a Asian person cooking the food !!!!.

The Asian food place on John St is at another LV to this place and is always fantastic when i am there.

I am sorry to say was one of the worst lunches i had in a long time.

Not one bit close to authentic Asian food when you don't even have a Asian person cooking the food !!!!.
    So basically you're saying only asians can cook asian food? So basically you're saying Irish people can't make an asian dish. What else, Irish people shouldn't drive cars because we don't make cars?

Resorting to racism suggests a vested interest in attacking the new comer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

So basically you're saying only asians can cook asian food? So basically you're saying Irish people can't make an asian dish. What else, Irish people shouldn't drive cars because we don't make cars?

Resorting to racism suggests a vested interest in attacking the new comer.

The accusation of racism is a bit strong.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Their words speak for themselves. If they don't like the food then that's issue enough to complain but what does the ethnicity of the cooks have to do with anything?

I'm sure captain havoc that you wouldn't promote racial profiling in the catering industry. We don't expect every pizzeria to have Italian staff.

Eat in Arroi the other day myself do not rate the food at all. The food tasted like crap to be fair and all i could get of my red duck curry was hotness notting else no favours or anything like that. Also the food isn't great quality as there using frozen duck from China and not proper

I am sorry to say was one of the worst lunches i had in a long time.

Did you yell them any of this ?
    Maybe the ice cream in plastic cup is because of the lunch offer, definitely presented better at night

and you complain about authenticity ? I can only say the 2 meals I tried were flavoursome and matched what I would expect, and no starters is in fact an authentic Asian habit. Often in China my dessert, soup and mains were all on table at the one time, and this in restaurants trying to present " western food"

I think some allowances should be made to something starting up, and a few comments on whats wrong might be helpful

Did you yell them any of this ?
    Maybe the ice cream in plastic cup is because of the lunch offer, definitely presented better at night

and you complain about authenticity ? I can only say the 2 meals I tried were flavoursome and matched what I would expect, and no starts is in face an authentic Asian habit. Often in China my dessert, soup and mains were all on table at the one time, and this in restaurants trying to present " western food"

I think some allowances should be made to something starting up, and a few comments on whats wrong might be helpful

Yes i did tell them if you where wondering the Indian manager did not seem to care at all about anything i told him and walked off and was to busy talking to his girlfriend.

The other person i was with her food was also tasteless and she argued with me that it wasn't nice at all. I expected more as i was comparing it to the St food place on top of john st, Ramon in cork and Chilli pad in cork as well. Every one is a complete step up to the food in here.

But where not in China here ?. Where in Ireland food should be giving the the way irish people like it i am sorry to say i wont a starter then my main and maybe a cake afterwards its not very hard to do that. As you post to change it to the Irish market but still the best Chinese food i had was in 2 places 1 was yang sing in Manchester there Dim Sum is to die for in there. The other was Chinagora Hotel In Paris the food is something else in there as the menu is in Chinese and you don't know what your getting :D.

But there was no one in the place expect for the 2 of us thats where my problems come from the service, quietly and everything else should be a lot better when is quite compare to when its busy.

There is better Asian food places in Kilkenny Leman grass and the place on john st is 1000% better.

But theses are my views on the place everyone is different but if South Park this year has thought me anything the world is gone PC mad where you cant say anything anymore.

But theses are my views on the place everyone is different but if South Park this year has thought me anything the world is gone PC mad where you cant say anything anymore.
    The ethnicity of restaurant staff is irrelevant to the food but it does expose the critics biases.

• Advertisement

The ethnicity of restaurant staff is irrelevant to the food but it does expose the critics biases.

Why are you getting so hot and annoyed over something as stupid as a online review of a restaurant ?. Calling some a racist is a very big thing to say before you asked them has he ever dealed with it at all ?. Heres a crazy thing for you i have due to me being mixed race and i still deal with racism on a daily base thanks to my 100% foreign name but i was born and raised here and my mother is Irish ?. Work that one out :rolleyes:.

But i think you need to find something better to do then going out calling people a racist none stop.

But where not in China here ?. Where in Ireland food should be giving the the way irish people like it

Well you can say anything ( more or less) I just commented on your post. I think that's how these forums work .

Another problem is Irish people ( in general) do not want their food to taste like authentic Asian food ( depending on the area, being a big geographical space)

I am glad you mentioned it them anyways. I can only say , other than service from one guy ( a young lady was polite and attentive)my experience was the polar opposite. so if some have good experiences, and some have bad, maybe it suggests some small leeway for people finding their feet - that would be my sole argument.

BTW , I am not Asian but I can cook central and northern Chinese dishes to equal any I have eaten there on visits.

Apologies for any English errors - I'm not English :D

The accusation of racism is a bit strong.

The comment is racist in the precise meaning of the word. And it is small racist/xenophobic/prejudiced attitudes that snowball to allow bigger ones which you might rightly be outraged about

I have to say though speculating on some ones motivation on one comment is a bit over the top. I cannot even guess at a vested interest from his post other than he had a much less enjoyable experience than others.

Trusted Apple - what dished did you have if I can ask ? might sample on next visit

See i am mixed race and have had proper Chinese food cooked for me all over there is a place in Dublin that just does Dim Sum there menu is in Chinese and everyone in there is Chinese so you know your going to get proper food then. Its the same when you go on holidays if your looking for something to eat if it has a lot of locals in the place the food will be good. As proper Italian food is way different then here as my dads side come from the south and when you go out to eat in the local place there you don't get a menu you just get food handed to you rather you like it or not.

Only in ireland you see chips with Asian to be fair LoL.

But the fact i wont let them get away finding there feet is that when there is 2 people in a place there should not be problems with the service the guy who took my order had no idea what was even on the the menu i blame the management for not training them. As i work in a Hotel as manager myself and that is just shocking to see that management cant train staff as he my super to me would see that i would be out the door LoL.

I didnt enjoy my list but the other OP has taking it to hart way to much.

I had the red duck curry with rice, the other girl had a pad thai with out the prawns and we got a side duck spring rolls. Everything was tasteless i am sorry to say. I wont be back.

Trustedapple, if you don't like being called out for a racist comment then don't make one.

It was completely irrelevant.

I agree the service was bad in Arroi, next time I'll be bringing a my own water because I had to ask three times and they only gave me a small glass of water while I was was half way through my dish. To top that off when I was finished my food they came with a full jug asking if I needed a top up, all very cart before horse.

But on the Kilkenny scene it blows all other similarly priced options out of the water.

You don't like the cuisine whereas others like myself really enjoyed it. We can say that without getting into the ethnicity of the staff.

I've sure you wouldn't like someone citing your ethnicity if they were complaining in your work place.

Trustedapple, if you don't like being called out for a racist comment then don't make one.

It was completely irrelevant.

I agree the service was bad in Arroi, next time I'll be bringing a my own water because I had to ask three times and they only gave me a small glass of water while I was was half way through my dish. To top that off when I was finished my food they came with a full jug asking if I needed a top up, all very cart before horse.

But on the Kilkenny scene it blows all other similarly priced options out of the water.

You don't like the cuisine whereas others like myself really enjoyed it. We can say that without getting into the ethnicity of the staff.

I've sure you wouldn't like someone citing your ethnicity if they were complaining in your work place.

I never said a racist comment you are just very PC with everything that you just don't like some stuff said and snap at people for it. You are the one who brought up calling someone a racist.

I get people insulting my ethnicity all the time in my work place and all you can do is bite your tongue and move on and to make it worse i am irish and mixed race at the same time getting remarks :rolleyes:.

I know the kilkenny scene very well and have eat in every single place in the town that does food as one who works in the industry eats out quite a lot and sees how everyone else does there business and you take ideas from it i know the industry a lot more then you i am sorry to say and i can say a lot more about where Arroi does use MSG and uses no Irish meat. The none irish meat i have no problem with but the fact they say they don't use MSG is quite funny as the suppliers name for MSG is tenderising salt ;).

I think OP you need to get out some more and stop calling people you don't know online a racist with no racist remark what so ever you are showing for sure that the world has gone PC mad.

Have a watch of them kind of sums this all up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The race war is over, anymore references to it someone shall be seeing holidays from the forum.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I am sorry i cant help myself on this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭nhg

Went to Aroi with a group of friends last night, place was buzzing, lovely atmosphere, food was delicious, service very good, exceptional value...
    Looking forward to my next visit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well I'm going to give Aroi a go this week in my yearly outing with the missus. Not really eaten this kind of food before so I'm looking forward to it.

Advertisement