Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have to make a compromise with monitor calibration?

• 06-07-2014 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about getting my monitor calibrated for a while now but am not sure if its worth the expense. My photos look great on screen but my prints often look a bit dull and lose their vibrancy.

Now I know screens are backlit so photos will always be brighter than on paper, but if I optimise my monitor for prints will it have much of an impact on how my photos will look on screen? Considering I don't do much printing and the majority of the people who see my photos will be viewing them on un-calibrated monitors.

Basically what I'm asking is monitor calibration only beneficial for printing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I think a proper calibrated monitor will always be better for photoediting and better for printing but you are right, some of the effort is lost when other view on uncalibrated monitors and you print on printers calibrated differently to your own.

Also I think its a matter of equipment quality V costs. Is there any point of calibrating a hundred quid monitor?

If your using a semiprofessional/prosumer or pro Monitor I think its deffo worth buying a spyder to keep your quality kit working as well as you paid the money for it to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I have a 23 inch Samsung monitor which cost a fair few bob so its good quality. I bought it specifically for photo editing and it does a great job, photos look stunning on it. However I generally don't do many prints. The odd time I do print they tend to look a bit dark compared to the computer screen, but I was thinking if I were to create a separate folder for photos which I intend to print, and just increase the brightness for those images they might come out better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I dunno but would one of those hood things help and could you not just turn down the brightness in the monitor settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 r_carmona

A calibration will only work with a calibration hardware. It will measure the colors and the contrast objectively.

A hood is good to see the right contrast, but it won't linearize the colors of your screen.

I calibrate each month with such a colorimeter (Spyder4Pro) and work with the ICC-color-profiles I can download from the paper manufacturers site. That's how I get the best results...

More on color management:
    dpbestflow.org/color/color-management-overview#monitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Calibration is a must, without you can't work in photography industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I have a 23 inch Samsung monitor which cost a fair few bob so its good quality. I bought it specifically for photo editing and it does a great job, photos look stunning on it. However I generally don't do many prints. The odd time I do print they tend to look a bit dark compared to the computer screen, but I was thinking if I were to create a separate folder for photos which I intend to print, and just increase the brightness for those images they might come out better.

That's because its not a color accurate monitor.

I've an Asus Pro art PA246Q it comes factory calibrated. images are more 100 % color accurate less saturated better shadow control and over all just a pleasure to work with. I had a look at a couple of Ezios in the same price range (used a few)and the Asus was kicking its arse in reviews its and underrated monitor.

I use an X rite Color munki calibrator or should I say awaiting to be calibrate calibrator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

If your prints are darker, you could try a blend mode in PS just for prints. ie use a screen layer and adjust the opacity whilst printing a few test prints. When you feel it is to your liking, save as an action for printing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

almorris wrote: »
    If your prints are darker, you could try a blend mode in PS just for prints. ie use a screen layer and adjust the opacity whilst printing a few test prints. When you feel it is to your liking, save as an action for printing.

Yes I think that would be the best option. It would be cheaper than calibration.

Advertisement