Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wearing black to a wedding.

• 06-07-2014 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Is it okay?

I bought a black maxi dress for a wedding in a couple of weeks, I feel comfortable in it, I usually wear black so I really find it hard to find something I would like to wear!

Any insights?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

looks poor to be honest. I'd go for full length ivory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

can we see a pic of you in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Black at a wedding wouldn't bother me at all but if it's something you're questioning just accessorise it with colourful shoes, belt, jewellery, bag, fascinator etc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

have often worn black to weddings, would never think twice about it. As another poster mentioned just wear bright accessories if you're worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Wore black to the last wedding I was at, with red accessories. Thinking of wearing another black dress to the next one too. No comments about it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Why wouldn't you wear black to a wedding?

Any colour bar white/ivory is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Have worn black to many a wedding summer and winter. Definitely not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I wore black to my brothers wedding last week and had purple accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Nothing wrong with wearing black to a wedding IMO, although if the outfit was exclusively black I would think it might look a bit austere.

I remember some old lady telling me I looked like I was on my way to a funeral when I wore a black backless dress with diamante straps (with hot pink shoes and bag) to a wedding years ago... I told her I tended to tone things down a wee bit for funerals :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The only colours I'd steer clear of would be white or cream. Everything else is fair game IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

I haven't been to a wedding in a while and I recently went to one not knowing what I should wear what so ever. I'm into being fashionable and the dress I had was blush and the bridesmaids dresses were coral so I felt that was too similar making me lost at what other dress I should wear without buying anything new. I read a lot on wedding guest attire, time of day/night, and etc. Every fashion magazine and article said black is actually the number 1 choice in color guests SHOULD wear....I was surprised because I would associate black with funerals but I guess it's seen as formal rather than a loud, gaudy color.

So the moral of the long story (lol) is that black is perfectly fine for a wedding, and a maxi dress especially makes it stylish. Just play it up with a nice statement necklace or earrings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

I think black looks very chic at weddings when it is done with the right accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Black in theory is fine - I'd have to see a picture of the dress itself to give an honest opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

Thanks all for the replies.

I am gonna go for the black, I was just hesitant as for some reason some have a problem with it!

Unfortunately unable to upload a pic as I'm a relatively new user. If you google 'Black Maxi Dress Oasis' It's the first option but I took of the skinny brown belt and got a gold one.

Advertisement