Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for copying to external disk

Options
  • 06-07-2014 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Copying 420GB from pc to this. I have USB 2. Should it take 5 hours?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

GoodLord wrote: »
    Copying 420GB from pc to this. I have USB 2. Should it take 5 hours?

Sounds about right, depending on the number of files your copying (it probably won't take 5 hours..). Portable hard disks tend to be slower overall as well. Try to use one of the back USB ports on your computer, may make the transfer times substantially quicker than front panel ones.
    I prefer to use Total Commander or the robocopy command to transfer files in bulk between one drive to another, tends to be quicker than explorer, although explorer works substantially faster in newer versions of Windows.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

yoyo wrote: »
    Sounds about right, depending on the number of files your copying (it probably won't take 5 hours..). Portable hard disks tend to be slower overall as well. Try to use one of the back USB ports on your computer, may make the transfer times substantially quicker than front panel ones.
    I prefer to use Total Commander or the robocopy command to transfer files in bulk between one drive to another, tends to be quicker than explorer, although explorer works substantially faster in newer versions of Windows.

Nick
    Thanks. I do not have back usb ports. Will leave overnight
    although explorer works substantially faster in newer versions of Windows.
    win 7 64 bit

GoodLord wrote: »
    Thanks. I do not have back usb ports. Will leave overnight
    win 7 64 bit

Assumed it was a desktop :) . Check to see if your laptop has a higher powered USB port for charging USB devices, usually has a lightening bolt or similar design. These ports offer more power and should work faster with an external HDD.

Nick

Assumed it was a desktop :) . Check to see if your laptop has a higher powered USB port for charging USB devices, usually has a lightening bolt or similar design. These ports offer more power and should work faster with an external HDD.

Nick
    it is a desktop only two usb on front

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

A usb3 card for the next time you have to copy off stuff ?

Sale: £9.99 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £10. Details
    You Save: £25.00 (71%)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superspeed-Express-Connector-Desktops-upgrade/dp/B006FPU71Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

a desktop with win7 64 bit and two usb ports, wow. a usb card like what is linked is essential

a desktop with win7 64 bit and two usb ports, wow. a usb card like what is linked is essential

It's probably an all in one and two USB ports on the monitor side or else a mini computer? Only other device I know of with only 2 USB ports in this day & age is the Raspberry Pi!

Nick

It's probably an all in one and two USB ports on the monitor side or else a mini computer? Only other device I know of with only 2 USB ports in this day & age is the Raspberry Pi!

Nick
    No it is a medion md 8341

Sorry there are also 6 usb 2 ports on the back:o

Advertisement