Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-contact thermometer?

Options
  • 06-07-2014 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

We're thinking of buying one of these as opposed to the in-ear ones? Anyone used them before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    We're thinking of buying one of these as opposed to the in-ear ones? Anyone used them before

I was told the braun thermoscan one was the best. It is in the ear and really easy to use. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001D0LMS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1404670356&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40
    Cara pharmacy are doing it for €35ish

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

We have the in ear braun and cannot find the ear covers anywhere for sale! Drives me nuts....You can't use it without the covers.

Just bought the lloyds pharmacy brand one which is in ear and also contact on forehead. You can swap between the two. It was about 23 euro. Seems good so far. No ear covers, just have to clean the sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Millem wrote: »
    I was told the braun thermoscan one was the best. It is in the ear and really easy to use. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0001D0LMS/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1404670356&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40
    Cara pharmacy are doing it for €35ish

We're avoiding in the ear ones on purpose, in case he's a narky baby when he's sick trying to get him to sit still while I stick it in his ear won't be easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Literally two seconds in the ear, doesn't take long at all :)

Literally two seconds in the ear, doesn't take long at all :)[/QUOTE]

Yes it literally is two seconds even if you are dealing with a cranky babs it is grand! You can get the ear covers cheap on amazon or on any chemist online. I even saw them in mothercare!

• Advertisement

We'd prefer the non contact one - unless a few people with them had bad things to say! We're not bothered with the in ear one since it's the same price it can disturb a sleeping baby and the hygiene covers can be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭All4shopping

I picked up one in Aldi for €13.99 has option to use in ear or just touching forehead, which is very handy for slep etc as you can silence it also so it doesn't beep and wake them up! Great buy, highly recommend and they are always in Aldi in the glass cabinets so no waiting for special buys!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

As far as I'm aware, the in ear ones are more accurate (except for a newborn, where are underarm old fashioned one is recommended until 3 months). That's why they use in ear ones in hospital.
    You can bypass the need for a cover on the in ear ones by holding down the little red notch on top so it thinks it has a cover on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Drdoc wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the in ear ones are more accurate (except for a newborn, where are underarm old fashioned one is recommended until 3 months). That's why they use in ear ones in hospital.
    You can bypass the need for a cover on the in ear ones by holding down the little red notch on top so it thinks it has a cover on!

Yep. Correct. The maternity hospitals were actually using the non contact infra red thermometers about a year and half ago but switched to the tympanic (ear) thermometers as they are more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

theLuggage wrote: »
    We have the in ear braun and cannot find the ear covers anywhere for sale! Drives me nuts....You can't use it without the covers.

Did you mean these ones ?

• Advertisement

Yes they are the covers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

We're avoiding in the ear ones on purpose, in case he's a narky baby when he's sick trying to get him to sit still while I stick it in his ear won't be easy!

Having been up all night with a narky feverish six-month-old baby, I'd still recommend the Braun ear thermometor. The ear thermometors are known to be more accurate than the contactless ones. And when your baby has a high temperature, it's not a bad thing to wake them every now and then to see how they are otherwise. Even if the temperature reading is ok.

By the way, I find it pretty easy to check his temperature without waking him - but as his temperature is high, I'm keeping a very close eye on him and checking him for rashes etc. Chances are, if your baby is sick, you'll be checking and waking them regularly anyways. I wouldn't go for a non-contact thermometor just to avoid waking a sleeping baby - if they're sick, it's very likely they'll be waking on their own, or else they'll be woken by you checking on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I agree with everyone else about the high temps and accuracy. When your baby has a high temp you need an accurate reading so you know what to do.

I've often used the ear one when they're asleep and mine is about 15 years old and is a bit noisy especially in the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have one you can put in the ear or on forehead. When toddler went through MONTHS of ear infections it was impossible to get near her ears at all. She was terrified after all the doctor visits. It was a godsend we could read it on her forehead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Amazon have them from Nightingale in a hospital/surgery dispenser pack, 10 boxes of 20. Fulfilled by Amazon so no shipping if you spend more than £25 on your order.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002I8L56A/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_4

My kids, 2.5 and 1.5, have absolutely no problem with the Thermoscan. They usually turn their head when asked. They only ever objected the first couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey there,

Our baby is two weeks old tomorrow and we've been using the Thermofocus non contact thermometer as it was recommended to us by the midwife at our antenatal class. To be honest it's a godsend so far for two new parents worried about keeping their baby at the right temp overnight with the hot nights. We're able to check him during the night without having to disturb him and you can also use it on his bath water, bottles, room temp etc.

Aha! Thanks for that :) Never even thought of looking at amazon. Ah well have the other one now, will see how it goes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just bought the Lloyd's pharmacy one today (on special offer if anyone else is looking for it for €14.99). So far so good! Think it's great they way it says the temperature!

Wow good price! I obviously bought mine too early ;-) I think it's faster than the braun as well. Love the talking too but I can see myself forgetting about it and using it when they are asleep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The non-contact ones are quite good. we have one from Boots and it is handy for not only measureing body temp but babyfood temperatures as well. great for when you need to check temperature while baby is sleeping.

The non-contact ones are quite good. we have one from Boots and it is handy for not only measureing body temp but babyfood temperatures as well. great for when you need to check temperature while baby is sleeping.

How old is your child? Do you really use a thermometer to check the temperature of his baby food? Why ...? :confused:

How old is your child? Do you really use a thermometer to check the temperature of his baby food? Why ...? :confused:

I'd use it for that... When's he's born id be terrified it'll be too hot xD

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'd use it for that... When's he's born id be terrified it'll be too hot xD

If you mean milk, the correct way to check temperature is to shake a few drops on the inside of your wrist. :confused:

What if the thermometer is malfunctioning or you misread it in your sleep-deprived haze? And considering the contactles ones are less accurate than the in-ear ones, you may not get a reliable reading. Plus you are taking the temperature of the outside of a bottle, which can be cool even when the milk inside is hotter than it should be, so you will almost certainly at some stage, scald your childs mouth with this method.

I take a sip of the milk myself to Make sure it's not too hot! Lol. I was always so
    Worried. Even with the bath I splash it on my face to make sure... And I'm not a first time parent. God... What am I like!...

You don't have fingers? :-)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see there was another page of posts. As others have said, inside of wrist for milk, finger for food. Elbow for bath.

daveohdave wrote: »
    You don't have fingers? :-)

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't see there was another page of posts. As others have said, inside of wrist for milk, finger for food. Elbow for bath.

Hahaha... I don't trust my fingers, or my wrist it my elbow! I like my water exceptionally hot! So I wouldn't trust my senses for my babies.... ESP when it's tested on my peripheries as opposed to my face, tongue etc. I do know most normal people would use their wrist, elbows etc... Hence the... "What am I like...". :)

For food, I mix it very well and then taste a small bit of it myself.

For bottles, at the start I'd have tested it on my wrist but he doesn't take them very warm anyways ... to be honest I can't imagine giving him a bottle so hot that I'd need to check the temperature with a thermometer before giving it to him! If I was in doubt about it being too hot, I wouldn't trust the thermometer, I'd just wait for it to cool to be on the safe side.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hahaha... I don't trust my fingers, or my wrist it my elbow! I like my water exceptionally hot! So I wouldn't trust my senses for my babies.... ESP when it's tested on my peripheries as opposed to my face, tongue etc. I do know most normal people would use their wrist, elbows etc... Hence the... "What am I like...". :)

My wife likes her water hot too, but that's exactly why the wrist and elbow are used, and have been used forever. I don't know the technical details, I assume those areas are just more sensitive.

• Advertisement

daveohdave wrote: »
    My wife likes her water hot too, but that's exactly why the wrist and elbow are used, and have been used forever. I don't know the technical details, I assume those areas are just more sensitive.

Yes you're right. The fingers have more nerve endings than other parts of the body etc etc... The lips and tongue also are extremely sensitive due to pain receptors :). The tongue isn't as good for sensing hot and cold tho... But the lips are good... And that's the lesson for today :). But you're right re fingers/ wrist ect. I just always second and third check with a few different parts of my body that contain all those nerve endings and pain receptors to be sure. Call me daft... :)... Yes yes I know...

Advertisement