Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown Problem.

Options
  • 06-07-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Ah well its happen twice in the past 2 weeks, were iv'e had my running like normal nothing unusual went wrong with it, but then just shuts off straight away like the switch at the mains tripped but it didn't nothing tripped just computer lost all power. I think my graphics cards has been playing up, its been an on going issue since i got it but it doesn't happen often but each time my pc has just shut off it was after a couple of hours off gaming on dota 2, so i was just wondering could that be the problem ? Could it be the GPU or CPU that is over heating causing the system to shut down ? ill put up pictures of what happens my GPU.

Like i said the screen problem with the GPU, happens very rarily and im only putting that in there becuase that is the only thing i have notice that can play up with the pc, probley has nothing to do with it.

Also i have a

Amd Radeon HD 7850 OC
    and
    Intel core i5 3450

so any ideas why my pc is turning off ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Did you check the Event Viewer to see if any errors occur right before the shutdown?

Sounds like a cooling issue. Did you check the fan for dust / clean out the machine?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try lowering the graphics card overclock and see if it helps. 7850 stock settings are: 860MHz GPU Clock, 1200MHz VRAM frequency. You may be able to lower these via the Catalyst Control Center, or else try Trixx.
    Another possibility is CPU overheating or else PSU gone bad. Run Core Temp in logging mode to get an idea of CPU temperatures (Core Temp will write temperatures frequently to a text file while running). discard overclock settings if you have overclocked it

Nick

Edit: Is it causing your electricity box fuse board to trip? If it is dodgy PSU is quite a strong possibility. Do you know anyone you could borrow a working PSU off?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

yoyo wrote: »
    Try lowering the graphics card overclock and see if it helps. 7850 stock settings are: 860MHz GPU Clock, 1200MHz VRAM frequency. You may be able to lower these via the Catalyst Control Center, or else try Trixx.
    Another possibility is CPU overheating or else PSU gone bad. Run Core Temp in logging mode to get an idea of CPU temperatures (Core Temp will write temperatures frequently to a text file while running). discard overclock settings if you have overclocked it

Nick

Edit: Is it causing your electricity box fuse board to trip? If it is dodgy PSU is quite a strong possibility. Do you know anyone you could borrow a working PSU off?

it was factory over clocked, but ill lower it anyways, and no i cleaned my pc a couple of weeks ago full cleaning thing should be spotless, and nope it doesn't trip the mains, i was using that as an example to describe what its like when it turns off its just instant. ill try core temp now.

core temp under minimum load.

LukeyKid wrote: »
    it was factory over clocked, but ill lower it anyways, and no i cleaned my pc a couple of weeks ago full cleaning thing should be spotless, and nope it doesn't trip the mains, i was using that as an example to describe what its like when it turns off its just instant. ill try core temp now.

core temp under minimum load.

My 7850 doesn't play nice with any overclocks. I also have an occasional issue where the monitor looses signal and fans go on max. doesn't happen often though and happens frequently if I overclock the card even by a fraction. You may just have got a 7850 which doesn't play nice with the factory overclock.. :(

Nick

My 7850 doesn't play nice with any overclocks. I also have an occasional issue where the monitor looses signal and fans go on max. doesn't happen often though and happens frequently if I overclock the card even by a fraction. You may just have got a 7850 which doesn't play nice with the factory overclock.. :(

Nick

well like i said it really isent often that there is aproblem with it like iv had the thing overclock to 1250mhz since i got the card nearly 2 years ago, and this might happen maybe once every 4-6 months.

he is another test while running dota 2 on max settings.

• Advertisement

well like i said it really isent often that there is aproblem with it like iv had the thing overclock to 1250mhz since i got the card nearly 2 years ago, and this might happen maybe once every 4-6 months.

he is another test while running dota 2 on max settings.

Try without the overclock and see how it goes. My card does screw up even without overclocking. I think AMDs drivers can be partly to blame in this as well. See the thread here I posted some advice re: clean driver installation with DDU can help reduce it in my experience.

Nick

Try without the overclock and see how it goes. My card does screw up even without overclocking. I think AMDs drivers can be partly to blame in this as well. See the thread here I posted some advice re: clean driver installation with DDU can help reduce it in my experience.

Nick

yeah im uninstalling everything from CCC - ill do a fresh install, ahh i had a couple more problems with my pc just turning off like it was just plugged out and happen'd as i was loading dota 2 again, i ran a stress tester for my CPU and i was kinda scared how hot my CPU got, i have screenshots. Im fairly certain it shouldn't go that high even at max load for about 2-3 minutes.

But the Pc didn't just switch off and at that stress aswell so it can't be anything to do with my CPU can it ?, I was reading about other people with the same problem and they had problems with the motherboard and faulty capacitors, i had a quick look over the motherboard for any visual errors i seen nothing so i was wondering do you no of any mobo tester ? but some stress on that or just test the hole thing to make sure its working 100%.

Iv'e been monitoring my GPU while playing Dota 2 on max settings and all looks out of the ordinary, and i had dropped the down too 900mhz and im 90% sure it was at 900mhz when it switched off aswell so im more on the side of ruling out the GPU as well.

Im sort of hoping at worst its the PSU at least that the cheapest to replace and sort out, could faulty HDD switch off the pc ? i recently tested my HDD's as well and they were perfect. No bad sectors on them and my SSD was bought a Xmas so that's pretty new so im ruling that out aswell.

I would say RAM is a problem either that would be a cause of blue screening and not booting. So yeah im pushing towards mobo, Psu on this one what do you think ?

yeah im uninstalling everything from CCC - ill do a fresh install, ahh i had a couple more problems with my pc just turning off like it was just plugged out and happen'd as i was loading dota 2 again, i ran a stress tester for my CPU and i was kinda scared how hot my CPU got, i have screenshots. Im fairly certain it shouldn't go that high even at max load for about 2-3 minutes.

But the Pc didn't just switch off and at that stress aswell so it can't be anything to do with my CPU can it ?, I was reading about other people with the same problem and they had problems with the motherboard and faulty capacitors, i had a quick look over the motherboard for any visual errors i seen nothing so i was wondering do you no of any mobo tester ? but some stress on that or just test the hole thing to make sure its working 100%.

Iv'e been monitoring my GPU while playing Dota 2 on max settings and all looks out of the ordinary, and i had dropped the down too 900mhz and im 90% sure it was at 900mhz when it switched off aswell so im more on the side of ruling out the GPU as well.

Im sort of hoping at worst its the PSU at least that the cheapest to replace and sort out, could faulty HDD switch off the pc ? i recently tested my HDD's as well and they were perfect. No bad sectors on them and my SSD was bought a Xmas so that's pretty new so im ruling that out aswell.

I would say RAM is a problem either that would be a cause of blue screening and not booting. So yeah im pushing towards mobo, Psu on this one what do you think ?

Those CPU temps are extremely high. I wouldn't rule out that causing any issues. Is it overclocked, what cooler are you using? Make sure the cooler is fully covering the CPU and securely fastened. If it is the push-pin type coolers make sure all pins have been pushed through.
    If the CPU cooler is loose it will overheat. Make sure enough but not too much thermal paste is also used to assist cooling the CPU.
    If you suspect system RAM of being the issue, run memtest86+ for a couple of hours. No harm reseating all sticks while you have the computer opened up to work on

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Don't mean to step on toes but I suggest that you try your onboard graphics for a day and see if the issue persists - if it does, then it's your PSU.

Those CPU temps are extremely high. I wouldn't rule out that causing any issues. Is it overclocked, what cooler are you using? Make sure the cooler is fully covering the CPU and securely fastened. If it is the push-pin type coolers make sure all pins have been pushed through.
    If the CPU cooler is loose it will overheat. Make sure enough but not too much thermal paste is also used to assist cooling the CPU.
    If you suspect system RAM of being the issue, run memtest86+ for a couple of hours. No harm reseating all sticks while you have the computer opened up to work on

Nick

Yeah i was worried about that. I have one of those push-pin coolers its a pain in the ass, ill make that its in properly i don't have anymore thermal paste though :/ any other solutions ?

Also i was reading about the i5 3450 and it said that it can hit 80-85 at max load and it completely normal, yes i no 90 - 95 is pushing it a lot but it wouldn't do damage would it ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement