Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnant and college?

Options
  • 06-07-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,
    I am looking for advice.
    I applied for college earlier this year as a mature student and got offered my first choice in psychiatric nursing.
    I am due a baby the 2nd of November. So I am just looking to see people's opinion on whether I should start this
    year or defer till next year?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

missyy wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I am looking for advice.
    I applied for college earlier this year as a mature student and got offered my first choice in psychiatric nursing.
    I am due a baby the 2nd of November. So I am just looking to see people's opinion on whether I should start this
    year or defer till next year?
    Thanks
    What college is it? You will be on placement as early as november in some colleges and this can be challenging enough without being pregnant/looking after a new born. Personnally I would think deferring is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 3 missyy

clairek6 wrote: »
    What college is it? You will be on placement as early as november in some colleges and this can be challenging enough without being pregnant/looking after a new born. Personnally I would think deferring is the best option

Hi it's WIT and I'm not sure when placement starts.
    Thanks, deferring is probably the best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Congrats on your pregnancy and place!
    Personally I'd defer. I found going back to a 30 hr office job with a 2 week old was hard, as was working up to week 40 when I had mine.
    I deferred last yr from an Arts degree after a house fire left me with a few weeks of needing to be around for forensics, insurers, builders, etc. I missed 3 weeks straight with the shock and was unable to catch up, esp as one subject was a new language.
    The CAO explains deferral in its handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 missyy

zef wrote: »
    Congrats on your pregnancy and place!
    Personally I'd defer. I found going back to a 30 hr office job with a 2 week old was hard, as was working up to week 40 when I had mine.
    I deferred last yr from an Arts degree after a house fire left me with a few weeks of needing to be around for forensics, insurers, builders, etc. I missed 3 weeks straight with the shock and was unable to catch up, esp as one subject was a new language.
    The CAO explains deferral in its handbook.

Thank you, have asked for a deferal so may wait and see.
    I'm sure a year will flyby with a new baby :)

Thanks and good luck in your course

Advertisement