Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1950s Dublin location

Options
  • 06-07-2014 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Can anybody with some knowledge of 1950s Dublin help with this? I've just dug out an old family photo of myself and my mother walking down a street in Dublin and I'd like to know exactly where it is. We are walking past a branch of Burtons with quite an ornate shop window with three circular panes at the top, just below the name. Next door to that is a shop whose name I can't read but next to that is a sign for a Watchmaker and jeweller called C O'Connor and an arrow pointing down a laneway. It's a very wide pavement and I suspect it is O'Connell Street, but would like to be sure. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original branch of Burtons in Dublin was Dame Street but its a very distinctive building: http://archiseek.com/2010/1930-former-burtons-store-dame-street-dublin/ - that photo is very old, its been the Philips store and now a Spar since then.

If you can the photo and upload it you might get better responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

The jewellers are Cubby O'Connor, ive worked for them about 13yrs ago in their workshop on the SCR

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Expatricia

Thanks MYOB. I've seen that one, but I don't think it's one and the same because the one you are talking about is on a corner site and this is not. I'll have a go at putting a photo up, but am not usually terrible successful with this sort of thing! The Royal Scam, do you know where Cubby O'Connor's retail units were?

I don't think this site will let me upload any attachments or photos until I've sent a few more posts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you want to email it to me, I will upload it for you.

Sending you a Private Message.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much, Spurious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,214 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=15200
    Posted for Expatricia.

Thanks very much, Spurious. Looks like a still from a episode of 'Quirke' doesn't it?!

I think there's an optician's sign there, too, called something like 'Chas. J. Ryan' And I see that the jeweller is R, not C O'Connor.

Looks like a bus conductor standing in the doorway so may have been close to one of the bus crew changing stops.

• Advertisement

I think I've found it. The jeweller is still there at 32 Lower O'Connell Street on the Clery's side. At least, it's a jeweller with the same name anyway.

Looking at a Thom's for 1976, which I know is outside your timeframe, but Dublin didn't change a lot for years, there is
    30-31 Saxone shoes
    32 R. O'Connor jewellers; Forte Bros. Ltd. Mayfair Grill; Ryan, Chas. F., opthalmic optician
    The numbers would be going up as they go away from you in that photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

To me its oconnell st, the shop behind the woman is Saxons shoe shop, its now ann sommers, the doorway where the bus conductor is standing was a bank, its not there anymore now

Thanks very much both of you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I was racking my brain for the name of the shoe shop; of course, it was Saxone. And isn't it odd that no reference to Burtons can be found. But never mind. Now that Saxone has been nailed as the present day Ann Summers, there's no doubt about where it is! Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leedrum10214

Hi, In researching picture of my husbands grandfather & family, I came across your picture. Mine was taken in exactly the same place, so I reckon there was a street photographer, who took the pictures & sent them on afterwards. I am pleased to have found the location of my picture, thanks to your entries. J.

Many of them were taken by Arthur Fields.
    http://www.manonbridge.ie/
    picture.php?albumid=309&pictureid=15211

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leedrum10214

Hi, Many thanks for that. I did the link and it is very interesting. Knowing where the photo was taken, it is a great help. Thanks again. J.

Glad to hear that you solved your mystery too, J! And Spurious, thanks very much for that link - it's lovely! Is the collection kept somewhere, do you know?

As far as I know they are making a film with RTE about him. I would imagine the collection will be stored somewhere afterwards, maybe digitally? I'm guessing about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

There's a Man On Bridge fb page where people submitted their photos by Arthur Fields. Spurious is right, there's going to be a film I'd say the page will have updates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

stinkle wrote: »
    There's a Man On Bridge fb page where people submitted their photos by Arthur Fields. Spurious is right, there's going to be a film I'd say the page will have updates

There is, it's here: https://www.facebook.com/manonbridge

I love the captions/stories that people submit with the photos :)

Great news. Would love to see that and will look out for it,

Advertisement