Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General - advice being given to unqualified people.

Options
  • 06-07-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I am a bit concerned recently , from some questions asked , that some people may be doing electrical work, for which they should not attempt.

I have no commercial interest in saying this. I am an Electrical Engineer and post this for possible safety reasons.

In the past this forum site was useful interaction between people ; without excluding others.

Perhaps moderator may consider.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Agree with that.

The mods can't censor every post, the've lives outside boards too. But fair play to the work they do here.

I personal think that the regular professionals here should butt in (with no offence taken) if they spot something amiss.
    I've sliped up before and have been (politly) corrected.

It's for safety that we give best appropate advice, with the odd ball hop and banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

adrian92 wrote: »
    I am a bit concerned recently , from some questions asked , that some people may be doing electrical work, for which they should not attempt.

I have no commercial interest in saying this. I am an Electrical Engineer and post this for possible safety reasons.

In the past this forum site was useful interaction between people ; without excluding others.

Perhaps moderator may consider.

I think those qualified should deffo point out the dangers involved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

adrian92 wrote: »

How would you suggest that we should stop unqualified/ untrained people from doing electrical work that is "beyond" them?
    By not answering their questions and denying them knowladge?
    Would you not think that they will simply find the answers (possibly less reliable) elsewhere on the internet?

Regular posters on this forum will tell confirm that posters are frequently advised to employ the services of a Registered Electrical Contractor.
    Often the risks associated with electrical work, the regulations and the fact that when non-RECs electrical work is is often a criminal offence are discussed here.
    Personally I think this is important information for would be DIYers.
    I am an Electrical Engineer and post this for possible safety reasons.

Do you have the same concerns about engineering forums?

Please explain what you mean by this and I will try to answer.

Advertisement