Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge Mistake on my CAO

• 06-07-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I placed speech and language therapy before primary school teaching and I am really regretting it. I heard about an exceptional CAO deadline which is the 22nd of July. Would I be allowed to remove speech and language therapy from my CAO? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The computer system won't allow you to change now but if you ring the CAO and speak to someone, they might be able to change it but even then you'll probably be lumped with some massive administration charge.

Sorry to break it to you but I'd be 99% sure you're screwed :(

Everyone has doubts at this time of year about the CAO so don't worry you're not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

It's says in the cao hand book that after the deadline you have to contact the particular college not the cao I think .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Where in the handbook does it say that, Eoghan?

Truebeliever, the "exceptional deadline" of the 22nd of July applies to one group only:
    CAO wrote:
    Late Applications (Exception to Timetable):

Exceptional Closing Date: 5:15 pm 22nd July 2014.

If you are currently an undergraduate student in any year in any one of the HEIs and you entered that HEI through the CAO system, you may make a Late Application in paper form only, to arrive in CAO not later than 5:15 pm on 22nd July 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I remember this problem cropping up before with very good reasons for the CAO to allow the change, and they refused to make it. I imagine it's because if you got into primary teaching, somebody else who had their CAO in order in time wouldn't as a result. :( No harm ringing them to see though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, you won't be allowed to change, you had until July 1st to make as many changes as you wanted. If the CAO allowed one student to make a late change because they couldn't make their mind up in the 8 months they had available to them, then everyone would want to have that facility available to them.

I also assume that colleges have some sort of provisional list of students before the release of the results or that the colleges are informed of the offers around the time the results are released as my 'Welcome to UL' pack arrived on my doorstep the same morning as my CAO offer. This was back in 1996 when all offers came through the post.

There has to be a cutoff point OP, so the SEC, the CAO and the colleges can do their thing behind the scenes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement