Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in heat - DUMMY questions(!)

• 06-07-2014 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

Lucy (13 months) is in heat for the first time - today is day 9 (from when she started bleeding). I've been walking her in the park very early in the morning before it opens and in the evening on a quiet road to avoid any other dogs. I'm wondering when I need to stop walking her? Do I got by days or by watching the discharge or by looking for signs that she's in standing heat? The bleeding has definitely slowed down but there's still a little blood. She was a bit down the last couple of days but was back on form today. So far one dog has shown interest in her (an intact jrt) - he came running over to her on Thursday trying to smell her her then.... poo'd beside us :eek: I'd overslept so we were there a little bit later than normal but usually we're gone before they arrive so there's no other dogs around.

Another question - she's going HOURS without weeing in the garden like she normally would - almost like she's waiting until she's out of the house to mark - is this normal!? On Friday she didn't wee in the morning until we got inside the park at about 6:30 and didn't go again until just before I got home at 6:00pm (!) Also at night when I bring her out I could be trying to coax her for 15 mins and nothing. This evening she lay down and tried to go asleep instead :rolleyes: Out on a walk this evening she was marking though so she is actually going...eventually!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

tk123 wrote: »
    Lucy (13 months) is in heat for the first time - today is day 9 (from when she started bleeding). I've been walking her in the park very early in the morning before it opens and in the evening on a quiet road to avoid any other dogs. I'm wondering when I need to stop walking her? Do I got by days or by watching the discharge or by looking for signs that she's in standing heat? The bleeding has definitely slowed down but there's still a little blood. She was a bit down the last couple of days but was back on form today. So far one dog has shown interest in her (an intact jrt) - he came running over to her on Thursday trying to smell her her then.... poo'd beside us :eek: I'd overslept so we were there a little bit later than normal but usually we're gone before they arrive so there's no other dogs around.

Another question - she's going HOURS without weeing in the garden like she normally would - almost like she's waiting until she's out of the house to mark - is this normal!? On Friday she didn't wee in the morning until we got inside the park at about 6:30 and didn't go again until just before I got home at 6:00pm (!) Also at night when I bring her out I could be trying to coax her for 15 mins and nothing. This evening she lay down and tried to go asleep instead :rolleyes: Out on a walk this evening she was marking though so she is actually going...eventually!

The blood will change from red to straw coloured when she is ready to stand. She will probably also hump things especially other dogs male or female. She may even offer herself to her owner or visitors!!!! Danger time is from around day 10. Don't let her mark anywhere near your house or you will have the local suitors outside your door. I would not worry about her waiting until she goes out. Changes in behaviour are normal.

Walking her is up to you & whether there is many loose dogs in your area. You certainly don't want any following you home! The good news is that first heats are often shorter in duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Knine wrote: »
    The good news is that first heats are often shorter in duration.

Thank god lol!! She's not acting like she's standing yet so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

would agree with knine re first heats being a bit shorter
    but also find they can be a bit erratic as well I have seen bitches that would take the dog on day 9 and also day 17 of a heat where the usual days would be day 10 to 14
    I suppose each are different and this is why we have to be so careful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

typical female I suppose giving the poor old boys the run around

I know now im in trouble but whats new

Ok I'm back again.. There's been little to no blood this week and the discharge has gone from kind of pinkish to a very light yellow - I wouldn't call it straw coloured though? Yesterday morning another jrt come running over to her with the owner miles away.. I'd already decided to stop walking her in the evenings because she's acting a bit weird on walks - won't budge (this normal for her at times but never this bad) and kind of hyperalert/jumpy... but after the dog coming over I decided not to walk her at all. I was on my own and with the owner so far away I would have been in trouble if it was a bigger dog.

She's not doing all the usual standing heat things I've been reading about so I've no idea what stage she's at now. (It's day 15) :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If shes day 15 then she could be starting to come out of it TK, but it really all does depend when she ovulated and unfortunately, unless you progesterone test her, you wont know when this actually happened.

Hows Bailey with her? Is he showing any interest? I cant remember if you have him neutered or not. Usually the blood does change colour from dark to lighter, but every bitch is different.

Some bleed the whole way through, some dont. Some ovulate early in the season, some are later bitches. I really would either bring her out very early or very late when there are no dogs around as at the moment shes right bang on in the middle of her season and could be giving off a good scent to other dogs.

Bailey's been sniffing her a bit...bit not any more than usual lol!! The same with humping :o it's just normal - the odd time when they're playing he'll get too excited. He's neutered though. She's so laid back I'm starting to think she'll have a really long heat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Bailey's been sniffing her a bit...bit not any more than usual lol!! The same with humping :o it's just normal - the odd time when they're playing he'll get too excited. He's neutered though. She's so laid back I'm starting to think she'll have a really long heat!

The fact that he's neutered doesn't mean that he won't try to mate her, and possibly succeed, obviously it won't lead to any pups, but could be a bit distressing for the pair of them. I'm sure I've mentioned it on here before :rolleyes: but my neutered male tied with my spayed bitch, and in doing so, he split his penis open :eek:

Yeah I did read that before(!)- don't worry its NOT going to happen!! Watching them like hawks. Her purple pants from vetuk are a deterrent too lol - I think he's more confused about them than anything else! :p

OK I think it might be over!! There's been no discharge yesterday or so far today and the swelling is gone down compared to last week. I'll play it safe for the rest of the week though just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

OK I think it might be over!! There's been no discharge yesterday or so far today and the swelling is gone down compared to last week. I'll play it safe for the rest of the week though just in case.

Sorry to hi jack your thread. My bitch went through her first heat recently. It was my first time having a bitch in heat ... I was surprised by the swelling but though that it would go down after. It did go down but only about half ... It is still much bigger then it was .. Is this normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

AryaStark wrote: »
    Sorry to hi jack your thread. My bitch went through her first heat recently. It was my first time having a bitch in heat ... I was surprised by the swelling but though that it would go down after. It did go down but only about half ... It is still much bigger then it was .. Is this normal?

Yeah its normal. Entire bitches always look bigger then spayed bitches. The swelling varies a lot too depending on the bitches cycle.

Jesus can't believe I'm talking about bitches behinds on a Sat night!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »
    Jesus can't believe I'm talking about bitches behinds on a Sat night!

I was talking about the consistency of sh1te last Saturday night...
    We're an exciting bunch here, huh? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

At least I can stop checking to see how big it is! Poor dog must think I'm mad!!!!!

AryaStark wrote: »
    At least I can stop checking to see how big it is! Poor dog must think I'm mad!!!!!

The same in this house lol!!!

Advertisement