Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about multiple practicums to Vancouver

Options
  • 07-07-2014 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭

I'll be heading to Vancouver next summer on a practicum for a pharmaceutical company, that's grand. The only problem is I'll be going back in 3 months again in January 2016 for a different company in another area of research for 9 months.
    I've looked around and haven't been able to find a concrete answer as to if I can go on a 3 month practicum and then go for another few months again.

It's mandatory I go in 2016 as part of my college course, but going next summer is my choice as I want to do it.

I know I can get a two year visa if I can't get a second practicum, but if I get that I dunno if I'd be able to head back to Canada again once I graduate.

So any info on this lads?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No idea about this I take it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You can only get one IEC visa, whether it's the Co-Op one, the Young Professionals or the WHV.

I assume if it's mandatory that you go in January 2016 that your college organises the visas etc? It is likely to be a separate visa to the IEC, so it would be a waste to get the IEC visa just to go there for 3 months.

Will you be getting paid over there? Have you lined up an employer for the summer 2015 one? I'd think it's best to speak to that company about visa requirements, and your college about what sort of visa they'll organise for you in 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Faith wrote: »
    You can only get one IEC visa, whether it's the Co-Op one, the Young Professionals or the WHV.

I assume if it's mandatory that you go in January 2016 that your college organises the visas etc? It is likely to be a separate visa to the IEC, so it would be a waste to get the IEC visa just to go there for 3 months.

Will you be getting paid over there? Have you lined up an employer for the summer 2015 one? I'd think it's best to speak to that company about visa requirements, and your college about what sort of visa they'll organise for you in 2016.

Sorry, don't know how I missed this.

2016 would be mandatory, but I've lined up a paid job for 2015.

This would complicate things a bit. There is some leeway in regards to where I go in 2016, but I'd hoped to get this work placement then come back again, most likely to a different company in Vancouver, so I could gain an edge in experience when I graduate.

Why I'm choosing Canada is because it's home to the leading global companies in the area I study, and I can work in areas of research which are not permitted in most European countries - I'm hoping that if I can get experience in these areas, when I graduate I might have an advantage over other graduates, as they may not have the same experience -unless they went to a country with similar policies, of course.

This may throw a spanner in the works, though.

Advertisement