Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

case885 wrote: »
    Glasgow, Leinster Ospreys and Ulster do too so they will be up another level as well.

Glasgow have to go to Leinster, Ospreys and Connacht and play Ulster at home. Ulster also have to go to Connacht and have us and Leinster at home. Munster have a much handier run in. A home semi is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Can someone tell e noob like myself how you manage to get a home semi final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Win all your games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Practice!

(You finish in the top 2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

When the league finishes, the top 4 teams get into the knockout games, 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. 1 & 2 have home advantage.

The final is already decided for Belfast.

No fresh injury concerns after the weekend and Ryan got 20mins rugby under his belt.

Just hope our Irish contingent arrive back in camp ready and fit for rugby.

I wonder will we be allowed play the lads v Connacht as we've a rest the following week during the Cup QFs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    No fresh injury concerns after the weekend and Ryan got 20mins rugby under his belt.

Just hope our Irish contingent arrive back in camp ready and fit for rugby.

I wonder will we be allowed play the lads v Connacht as we've a rest the following week during the Cup QFs.

Probably a case by case basis. I'd hope we will have a stronger side than usual given it's Connacht-rest-Edinburgh-rest-Treviso. Three handy fixtures before the trip to Ravenhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Connacht are not handy this year...

Toughest of the three but we have them at home.

• Advertisement

That's why I was asking about the returning internationals being available, obviously we need the win but this one is a real banana skin, more so now with Connacht feeling hard done by and Lam being charged with misconduct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Plus, they are the province least affected by the Six nations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Connacht are like Scotland. Always destined to be crap and only beat you if you drop your level down to theirs. Nothing to be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Connacht are like Scotland. Always destined to be crap and only beat you if you drop your level down to theirs. Nothing to be worried about.

Very harsh on Connacht. Just have a look at the Pro 12 table; there hasn't been that much between Leinster and Connacht so far this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Zebo, POC, POM, Murray a week after a possible grand slam wouldn't be of much use anywsy.

Felix and TOD should be back available then alright

Killer
    Guinszau
    Archer
    Holland
    DOC
    JOD
    TOD
    CJ
    Duncan
    Keatley
    Conway
    Hurley
    Earls
    ROM
    Jones

Very harsh on Connacht. Just have a look at the Pro 12 table; there hasn't been that much between Leinster and Connacht so far this season.

Ipso facto....Leinster are a little bit better than Scotland?
    :)

• Advertisement

Alan Cotter is off to Aix-en-Provence next year. I lived there for a spell, beautiful town in a great region. The club are top in their pool in Federale 1 (third division) and there's a playoff phase between different pools after that. So Cotter could be playing in ProD2 next season.

http://www.parcrugby.com/site/actualites.php?idNews=1461

HOOKERS

Mike Sherry 2015
    Damien Varley 2015 - RETIRING
    Duncan Casey 2016
    Niall Scannell 2015
    Kevin O'Byrne 2015
    Eusebio Guinazu 2015

Max Abbott Year 1

PROPS

James Cronin 2016
    Dave Kilcoyne 2017

BJ Botha 2015
    Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2016
    Alan Cotter 2015 - LEAVING (AIX-EN-PROVENCE)
    Martin Kelly 2015

Niall Horan Year 2
    Rory Burke Year 2
    Brian Scott Year 1

LOCKS

Paul O'Connell 2016
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Donncha O'Callaghan 2016
    Dave Foley 2017
    Billy Holland 2016

Sean McCarthy Year 2
    John Madigan Year 2
    Darragh Moloney Year 1

FLANKERS

Peter O'Mahony 2018
    Dave O'Callaghan 2016
    Sean Dougall 2015 - LEAVING (PAU)
    Tommy O'Donnell 2016
    Barry O'Mahony 2015
    Shane Buckley 2016
    Jordan Coghlan 2016 - ARRIVING

Ryan Murphy Year 3

NUMBER EIGHTS

Robin Copeland 2016
    Paddy Butler 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    CJ Stander 2016
    Jack O'Donoghue 2018

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016
    Duncan Williams 2017
    Tomas O'Leary 2017 - ARRIVING

Jack Cullen Year 2
    Ryan Foley Year 1
    Jame Glynn Year 1

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2017
    JJ Hanrahan 2015 - LEAVING (NORTHAMPTON SAINTS)
    Tyler Bleyendall 2017 (contract tbc)
    Johnny Holland 2017

Gearoid Lyons Year 2

CENTRES

Ivan Dineen 2015
    Cian Bohane 2017
    Denis Hurley 2016
    Andrew Smith 2015

Rory Scannell Year 2
    Dan Goggin Year 1

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2015
    Johne Murphy 2015
    Andrew Conway 2016
    Luke O'Dea 2015
    Ronan O'Mahony 2017
    Darren Sweetnam 2017

Alex Wootton Year 2
    Greg O'Shea Year 2

FULLBACKS

Felix Jones 2017

David Johnston Year 2
    Stephen Fitzgerald Year 1

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Alan Cotter is off to Aix-en-Provence next year. Lived there for a spell, beautiful town in a great region. The club are top in their pool in Federale 1 (third division) and there's a playoff phase between different pools after that. So Cotter could be playing in ProD2 next season.

So does that mean we will only have Archer and Ryan on the senior books that can play tighthead next year?

Any word on Botha/BJ 2.0? How are Martin Kelly and the other lads on dev. contracts fairing?

EDIT: cheers Thomond for updating the contract tracker

granty1987 wrote: »
    So does that mean we will only have Archer and Ryan on the senior books that can play tighthead next year?

Any word on Botha/BJ 2.0? How are Martin Kelly and the other lads on dev. contracts fairing?

EDIT: cheers Thomond for updating the contract tracker

Rory Burke is a good prospect at TH (had a great game in the one match I saw him play) but he got a season ending injury.

I don't think Botha will be kept on, I'd say he's done this season. I haven't heard a peep about Martin Kelly but I assume they'll give him another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Rory Burke is a good prospect at TH (had a great game in the one match I saw him play) but he got a season ending injury.

I don't think Botha will be kept on, I'd say he's done this season. I haven't heard a peep about Martin Kelly but I assume they'll give him another year.

i disagree i think its very likely that BJ will be kept on tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

We're coming into the middle of March and there's still alot of guys with contracts ending this season.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    We're coming into the middle of March and there's still alot of guys with contracts ending this season.

Mike Sherry 2015
    Niall Scannell 2015
    Kevin O'Byrne 2015
    Eusebio Guinazu 2015

A lot depends on Creevy being signed or not. With Varley gone and Sherry's injury problems Munster will need an experienced hooker. Guinazu will be let go as he was just cover (although he's been pretty good). Sherry will get an extension if he recovers after three surgeries. Hard to know with regards to Scannell and KOB. If signed Creevy will be at RWC so we'll need cover.

BJ Botha 2015
    Martin Kelly 2015

Botha has been inconsistent this season and Stephen Archer has gotten ahead of him for a lot of the big matches. I think Botha will be replaced. With Cotter gone I'd expect Kelly to be given a new deal, but who knows how he has played in the UBL this year.

Barry O'Mahony 2015
    Ryan Murphy Year 3

BOM has had a lot of injuries but we're short at 7 so maybe he might get another year, particularly with both POM and TOD probably going to RWC. I don't know anything about Murphy.

Hopefully TB is passed fit. Then he'll sign.

Ivan Dineen 2015
    Andrew Smith 2015

It's hard to know with Dineen. He hasn't had many opportunities but he has been decent when on the field. His cameo in the Sale match was impressive. Smith's been alright but won't be kept on.

Gerhard Van Den Heever 2015 (2016?)
    Johne Murphy 2015
    Luke O'Dea 2015

In an interview GVDH hinted he was contracted until 2016 but his official announcement from Munster said two year deal (2015). If out of contract this year the NIE quota might force Munster to let him go. Also he is recovering from knee surgery. Murphy hasn't played much this year and will be let go given the number of back three players we have. LOD is a tricky one, he clearly has the talent but is made of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Might be in the minority here but I actually like smith as a player. Solid and dependable and makes hard yards more often than not. Would like to see him kept for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Might be in the minority here but I actually like smith as a player. Solid and dependable and makes hard yards more often than not. Would like to see him kept for another year.

apart from all of his knee woes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

granty1987 wrote: »
    apart from all of his knee woes...
    I meant dependable when on the pitch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Alan Cotter is off to Aix-en-Provence next year. I lived there for a spell, beautiful town in a great region. The club are top in their pool in Federale 1 (third division) and there's a playoff phase between different pools after that. So Cotter could be playing in ProD2 next season.

I was there before too, pretty sure I saw their rugby team play too. Hard to blame someone like Cotter, maybe get a bit of money, play in a nice climate for a couple of years. Big loss for the Cookies though.

Pepp1989 wrote: »

Smith's alright. Solid. But doesn't complement Hurley at all, it makes them both look very average. If we are to compete at the highest level, we need a NIQ of a much higher standard than him.

I wouldn't have any huge confidence of Sherry coming back from his injury, its all gone quiet on TB also, not overly encouraging imo

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I was there before too, pretty sure I saw their rugby team play too. Hard to blame someone like Cotter, maybe get a bit of money, play in a nice climate for a couple of years. Big loss for the Cookies though.

Between the A team and injury, I don't think he's played much for them this year (if at all), so the loss has already been felt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Wang King wrote: »
    I wouldn't have any huge confidence of Sherry coming back from his injury, its all gone quiet on TB also, not overly encouraging imo

I'd be optimistic on TB. Not so positive on poor Sherry.

6 month extension for Botha, 2 years for Scannell, 1 year for KOB.
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20170.php#.VQBXjctyaHs

I've never seen a 6 month extension before, strange really. Foley suggests it's for the World Cup but Stephen Archer isn't in the frame right now. I'll be disappointed if it means Munster aren't bringing in a new face for TH.

HOOKERS

Mike Sherry 2015
    Damien Varley 2015 - RETIRING
    Duncan Casey 2016
    Niall Scannell 2017
    Kevin O'Byrne 2016
    Eusebio Guinazu 2015

Max Abbott Year 1

PROPS

James Cronin 2016
    Dave Kilcoyne 2017

BJ Botha January 2016
    Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2016
    Alan Cotter 2015 - LEAVING (AIX-EN-PROVENCE)
    Martin Kelly 2015

Niall Horan Year 2
    Rory Burke Year 2
    Brian Scott Year 1

LOCKS

Paul O'Connell 2016
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Donncha O'Callaghan 2016
    Dave Foley 2017
    Billy Holland 2016

Sean McCarthy Year 2
    John Madigan Year 2
    Darragh Moloney Year 1

FLANKERS

Peter O'Mahony 2018
    Dave O'Callaghan 2016
    Sean Dougall 2015 - LEAVING (PAU)
    Tommy O'Donnell 2016
    Barry O'Mahony 2015
    Shane Buckley 2016
    Jordan Coghlan 2016 - ARRIVING

Ryan Murphy Year 3

NUMBER EIGHTS

Robin Copeland 2016
    Paddy Butler 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    CJ Stander 2016
    Jack O'Donoghue 2018

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016
    Duncan Williams 2017
    Tomas O'Leary 2017 - ARRIVING

Jack Cullen Year 2
    Ryan Foley Year 1
    Jame Glynn Year 1

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2017
    JJ Hanrahan 2015 - LEAVING (NORTHAMPTON SAINTS)
    Johnny Holland 2017

Gearoid Lyons Year 2

CENTRES

Ivan Dineen 2015
    Cian Bohane 2017
    Denis Hurley 2016
    Andrew Smith 2015

Rory Scannell Year 2
    Dan Goggin Year 1

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2015
    Johne Murphy 2015
    Andrew Conway 2016
    Luke O'Dea 2015
    Ronan O'Mahony 2017
    Darren Sweetnam 2017

Alex Wootton Year 2
    Greg O'Shea Year 2

FULLBACKS

Felix Jones 2017

David Johnston Year 2
    Stephen Fitzgerald Year 1

• Advertisement

Botha has signed a 6 month contract with Munster - keeps him here until after the W/Cup. Must mean we're on the hunt for an NIQ prop or maybe coax one from Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I think the 6 month contract would suggest we're after a player thats going to be away for the RWC, at least i hope anyway.
    Great to see scannell being tied down.

I've never seen a 6 month extension before, strange really.

Ahem, a certain prop forward from Bruff signed a similar deal during the last world cup.

phog wrote: »
    Botha has signed a 6 month contract with Munster - keeps him here until after the W/Cup. Must mean we're on the hunt for an NIQ prop or maybe coax one from Leinster.
    case885 wrote: »
    I think the 6 month contract would suggest we're after a player thats going to be away for the RWC, at least i hope anyway.
    Great to see scannell being tied down.
    Ahem, a certain prop forward from Bruff signed a similar deal during the last world cup.

So Botha could tie us over until his replacement arrives. Sounds good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Can't imagine Botha is too chuffed with it but Munster need to find a new prop, asap. Foley's comment about cover during the RWC "when squad numbers will be reduced" is a bit hollow because they won't be missing any tight-heads, but hopefully it's a sign that Botha is keeping the jersey warm for a big signing post RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That'll cover Munster until Mike Ross gets back from the world cup...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Can't imagine Botha is too chuffed with it but Munster need to find a new prop, asap. Foley's comment about cover during the RWC "when squad numbers will be reduced" is a bit hollow because they won't be missing any tight-heads, but hopefully it's a sign that Botha is keeping the jersey warm for a big signing post RWC.

I would not be too sure of a big signing - it sounds like the IRFU reluctantly gave Munster another 6 months. BJ will be 36 then.

BJ might do very well out of this - should be lots of injuries after the world cup (similar to how Stringer had no problem picking up teams on short term loans).

They are building a monument in Bruff for the Bull!

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/john-hayes-to-be-honoured-with-monument-in-home-village-of-cappamore/16706

Thomond will have to get down there and get his photo 'riding it' wearing his John Hayes pajamas!

jm08 wrote: »
    They are building a monument in Bruff for the Bull!

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/john-hayes-to-be-honoured-with-monument-in-home-village-of-cappamore/16706

Thomond will have to get down there and get his photo 'riding it' wearing his John Hayes pajamas!

Or I'll buy the statue and start charging others. :pac:

• Advertisement

I would not be too sure of a big signing - it sounds like the IRFU reluctantly gave Munster another 6 months. BJ will be 36 then.

BJ might do very well out of this - should be lots of injuries after the world cup (similar to how Stringer had no problem picking up teams on short term loans).

That makes no sense. Why would the IRFU reluctantly give the go ahead to a 6 month extension if there's nobody coming in? In that case then it'd be a full year extension or nothing. As total former said, none of our tight heads are going to the world cup, so it looks exactly like he's holding the place for someone arriving after the world cup.

Numbers will be down because we don't have many THs. Take BJ out of the squad now and we'd be scraping the barrel and next year, Cotter is gone too, and no word on Kelly who hasn't been utilised at all.

It would seem to infer that a TH who'll be at the WC will be signed but there's no guarantee that will be a big name.

That makes no sense. Why would the IRFU reluctantly give the go ahead to a 6 month extension if there's nobody coming in? In that case then it'd be a full year extension or nothing. As total former said, none of our tight heads are going to the world cup, so it looks exactly like he's holding the place for someone arriving after the world cup.

Maybe they are giving Stephen Archer another 6 months to get up to speed and some of the younger THs another year in development.

Maybe they are giving Stephen Archer another 6 months to get up to speed and some of the younger THs another year in development.

But it doesn't give anyone another year. Botha will be gone after Christmas. Quite simply unless we sign a tight head we're down to Archer with John Ryan covering the bench. Numbers wise someone has to be coming in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Maybe they think that Munster will be out of Europe at Christmas so Botha can leave then.......

I'll get my coat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Numbers will be down because we don't have many THs. Take BJ out of the squad now and we'd be scraping the barrel and next year, Cotter is gone too, and no word on Kelly who hasn't been utilised at all.

It would seem to infer that a TH who'll be at the WC will be signed but there's no guarantee that will be a big name.

But numbers won't be down because of the World Cup, which is more my point.

Yeah, a "big name" is probably unlikely, it's not going to be du Plessis or Herrera, but there will be plenty of props at the RWC who would be more than capable of HC/Pro12 rugby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I've heard Munster were seeking a 12 mth ext. for BJ but the IRFU weren't too keen (why, I can't say). A 6 mth ext could as easily be extended for another 6 mths if Munster haven't acquired a TH that satisfies both Munster's and IRFU's criteria.

I don't see this as being a sign that a replacement is in the wings but more a case of IRFU playing hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I've heard Munster were seeking a 12 mth ext. for BJ but the IRFU weren't too keen (why, I can't say). A 6 mth ext could as easily be extended for another 6 mths if Munster haven't acquired a TH that satisfies both Munster's and IRFU's criteria.

I don't see this as being a sign that a replacement is in the wings but more a case of IRFU playing hard.

But it doesn't give anyone another year. Botha will be gone after Christmas. Quite simply unless we sign a tight head we're down to Archer with John Ryan covering the bench. Numbers wise someone has to be coming in.

What about that TH (doctor) who came from playing AIL. Maybe they think he will be ready by then or maybe some young IQ player will be brought in instead.

BJ's contract is until Dec. They could also extend it again after that if both parties were willing.

But numbers won't be down because of the World Cup, which is more my point.

Yeah, a "big name" is probably unlikely, it's not going to be du Plessis or Herrera, but there will be plenty of props at the RWC who would be more than capable of HC/Pro12 rugby

I'd settle for anyone who is a pretty strong scrummager and can do work around the park. Preferably someone who can be here for a few years. The more destructive scrummaging-wise, the better, obviously, it hurt us in the end this year, Botha's given away too many penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

What about convert James Cronin into a tight head

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement