Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Burden would be a brilliant signing and would be available for the whole season unlike Creevy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Signing Davies would be a surprise, isn't contracted to Clermont next season?

Plus he'd be away alot, the same amount as the other 13 cover (Earls).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

By the sounds of it if Creevy signs he retires from International. He is imo the best hooker in the world at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

I see no sense in signing a NIQ player that will be playing for his home country during any or all of the international test window. They'd be missing for too many games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I think J Davies is the least plausible Munster transfer "rumour" we've heard in a while.

I await its publication in the Indo.

phog wrote: »
    I see no sense in signing a NIQ player that will be playing for his home country during any or all of the international test window. They'd be missing for too many games.

That might be what we'll have to do in order to get a top NIQ in the first place. I agree with you however, signing players who will play / have played a full year non stop presents a risk and Munster have three recenty examples of why it isn't a good idea. Stander, VDH and Bleyendaal all came in after full seasons in the SH, Stander and VDH's first season were quiet and TB's was a write off.

Craig Burden would be a fantastic signing if Munster can get him. He got injured at the start of the season and then Guirado imposed himself as first choice so apparently Toulon are happy to get him off the books. He's a monster in the loose and I could see becoming very popular with supporters!

In terms of selection going forward this season, there's a choice to be made in the backrow. POM, TOD and Stander will be the first choice trio but will it be DOCII or JOD on the bench?

That might be what we'll have to do in order to get a top NIQ in the first place. I agree with you however, signing players who will play / have played a full year non stop presents a risk and Munster have three recenty examples of why it isn't a good idea. Stander, VDH and Bleyendaal all came in after full seasons in the SH, Stander and VDH's first season were quiet and TB's was a write off.

Craig Burden would be a fantastic signing if Munster can get him. He got injured at the start of the season and then Guirado imposed himself as first choice so apparently Toulon are happy to get him off the books. He's a monster in the loose and I could see becoming very popular with supporters!

In terms of selection going forward this season, there's a choice to be made in the backrow. POM, TOD and Stander will be the first choice trio but will it be DOCII or JOD on the bench?

I'm not sure there's a huge choice to be made, it's knockout rugby from now on, Dave will probably get the nod ahead of Jack. No shame in that, he's a great player but is still developing.

It will be great to have Donnacha Ryan back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Copeland?

shuffol wrote: »
    Copeland?

Out with shoulder (?) injury, had an operation on it so out for the rest of the season

shuffol wrote: »
    Copeland?

Out for the season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Also had laser eye surgery last week, sounded painful!

With 18 Pro12 games played, Munster have used 45 players in the competition, 26 of those have scored tries, Billy Holland joining that group on Saturday evening.

Munster Rugby @Munsterrugby · 1h 1 hour ago #MondayMemory: 2013, Dougie becomes Munster's top league try scorer: 22 tries, a record equalled by @SimonZebo on Sat

CBWi00MWcAAXH4U.jpg
    CBWi05_WQAA5f1y.jpg

Squad Update

Following Saturday's Guinness PRO12 win over Connacht at Thomond Park, Munster players gathered in their respective centres in Limerick and Cork today ahead of the first squad session of the week tomorrow.
    Those who featured against Connacht met with the Munster medical staff this morning where, apart from the usual bumps and bruises, Dave O'Callaghan emerged as the only injury concern.

O'Callaghan sustained a knock to his hand during the warm up causing him to wear a hand support for the duration of the game and the extent of the injury will be assessed as the week progresses.

With Munster's next competitive game not until Saturday, April 11th (away to Edinburgh at Murrayfield), and with the remaining internationals on course to return to matchday squads in the coming weeks, a number of players will look to impress in this Thursday's 'A' interprovincial against the Connacht Eagles as the battle for team places heats up in the final stages of the PRO12.

Off the back of a successful trip to Nenagh Ormond RFC where Munster 'A' ran out deserving 30-24 winners against the Ulster Ravens, Mick O'Driscoll is once again expected to field a mixture of Senior, Academy and Club talent - the Head Coach will name his side to face the Eagles on Wednesday.

With free admission, make the most of the Easter break this Thursday and bring the whole family to enjoy the interprovincial action.

Munster 'A' v Connacht Eagles, Thursday April 2nd at Thomond Park - KO 3pm.

Munster's next competitive home fixture is against Benetton Treviso at Irish Independent Park on Saturday, April 25th.

Adult tickets start from just €15, while great value Family tickets are available from just €30 (2 Adults & 2 Junior).

Good to have the squad players kept match fit as there probably won't be any enforced rotation in the Pro12 for the rest of the season. At least, I hope not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ZNJnL8iyUQ

Against the Head this eve

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

Munster Rugby @Munsterrugby · 1h 1 hour ago #MondayMemory: 2013, Dougie becomes Munster's top league try scorer: 22 tries, a record equalled by @SimonZebo on Sat

CBWi00MWcAAXH4U.jpg
    CBWi05_WQAA5f1y.jpg
    did Dougie not get injured scoring that try and was it his last act as a Munster player?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

PIORUN wrote: »
    did Dougie not get injured scoring that try and was it his last act as a Munster player?

That's right. He went off injured and never played again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

hendo12 wrote: »
    I hear Francis Saili could be announced next week. Creevy wanted by Arg for their Super Rugby Franchise but still open to joining Munster. I also hear they have also spoken to Wales centre Jonathon Davies and Toulon hooker Craig Burden

So inside man, any word yet? Ulster dont seem to waste much time when they want a signing.

• Advertisement

case885 wrote: »
    So inside man, any word yet? Ulster dont seem to waste much time when they want a signing.

Ulster haven't announced anything yet. Nothing but twitter speculation that the papers are hopping on so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Ulster have signed Charlie Piutau heard from NZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That's right. He went off injured and never played again.

Ah Man. That gave me a lump in my throat :(

Munster A take on Connacht Eagles in TP tomorrow at 3
    Munster A: Darren Sweetnam; Andrew Conway, Ivan Dineen, Rory Scannell, Luke O'Dea; JJ Hanrahan, Neil Cronin; Liam O'Connor, Kevin O'Byrne, Stephen Archer; John Madigan, Frank Bradshaw Ryan; Paddy Butler, Sean Dougall, Jack O'Donoghue - capt.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, James Cronin, Peter McCabe, Joe McSwiney, Lee Nicholas, Jamie Glynn, Dan Goggin, David Johnston, Diarmuid McCarthy.

Munster 'A' v Connacht Eagles, Thursday April 2nd at Thomond Park - KO 3pm.

Supporter Information: Please note there is free admission for all supporters with access via Turnstile 3 of the East Stand (T3) from 2pm. Only the East Stand will be open for this game.

Great to see Madigan back from injury and McCarthy involved in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Munster A take on Connacht Eagles in TP tomorrow at 3

Great to see Madigan back from injury and McCarthy involved in the squad.

That's a strong team by any stretch of the imagination. Conway, JJ, Butler, Dougall, JOD, Archer, KOB have all been fairly regular this season. And LOD, Dineen and Scannell have made plenty of appearances too.

Good for Madigan & Bradshaw Ryan to play in a team like that; who's McCarthy, not overly familiar with him.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    That's a strong team by any stretch of the imagination. Conway, JJ, Butler, Dougall, JOD, Archer, KOB have all been fairly regular this season. And LOD, Dineen and Scannell have made plenty of appearances too.

Good for Madigan & Bradshaw Ryan to play in a team like that; who's McCarthy, not overly familiar with him.

McCarthy shone for Castletry College the year he captained and won the Senior Cup, he took a few years out of rugby after that but has trained with Munster a few times this season, I think this is his first time featuring in a Munster match day squad since his return. He plays with Young Munster.

• Advertisement

Some analysis of the try we scored last Saturday from the maul.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Cronin on the bench, great stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

granty1987 wrote: »
    Cronin on the bench, great stuff!

Edinburgh might be a option for him to bench at least . Pity Donnacha Ryan isnt involved tho

A minor grumble with the team: Is their much point starting both Dougall and Butler in this when they are both leaving in the summer? We know that JJ will be on the bench for the rest of the season so it's worth keeping him fresh but Dougall and Butler are behind POM, TOD, Stander, DOC and JOD. Would it not be more beneficial to play someone who will be around? As I said, minor gripe.

A minor grumble with the team: Is their much point starting both Dougall and Butler in this when they are both leaving in the summer? We know that JJ will be on the bench for the rest of the season so it's worth keeping him fresh but Dougall and Butler are behind POM, TOD, Stander, DOC and JOD. Would it not be more beneficial to play someone who will be around? As I said, minor gripe.

What if these players get injured? DOC2 is already carrying a hand injury. I'd rather the two lads got game time to keep them fresh in case they're needed.

• Advertisement

What if these players get injured? DOC2 is already carrying a hand injury. I'd rather the two lads got game time to keep them fresh in case they're needed.
    Ah I forgot DOCII was hurt, fair enough so.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

McCarthy shone for Castletry College the year he captained and won the Senior Cup, he took a few years out of rugby after that but has trained with Munster a few times this season, I think this is his first time featuring in a Munster match day squad since his return. He plays with Young Munster.

Yeah he looked a serious prospect then, but the word was he just wasn't interested in pro rugby. It was a long time ago though, be very interesting to see how he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

15 Ciaran Gaffney
    14 Shane Layden
    13 Rory Parata
    12 Peter Robb
    11 Niyi Adeolokun
    10 Conor McKeon
    9 John Cooney

1 Jacob Walshe
    2 Jack Dinneen
    3 Saba Meunargia
    4 Cian Romaine
    5 Ultan Dillane
    6 Stephen McVeigh
    7 Marc Kelly
    8 Danny Qualter

Replacements

16 John Healy
    17 Diarmuid Higgins
    18 Conan O’Donnell
    19 Josh Pim
    20 Conor Lowndes
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Aidan Moynihan
    23 David Panter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

wprathead wrote: »
    15 Ciaran Gaffney
    14 Shane Layden
    13 Rory Parata
    12 Peter Robb
    11 Niyi Adeolokun
    10 Conor McKeon
    9 John Cooney

1 Jacob Walshe
    2 Jack Dinneen
    3 Saba Meunargia
    4 Cian Romaine
    5 Ultan Dillane
    6 Stephen McVeigh
    7 Marc Kelly
    8 Danny Qualter

Replacements

16 John Healy
    17 Diarmuid Higgins
    18 Conan O’Donnell
    19 Josh Pim
    20 Conor Lowndes
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Aidan Moynihan
    23 David Panter

With Connacht playing in the challenge cup tomorrow this should really be a second choice Connacht side whereas Munster have the likes of JJ, Dougal, Butler with plenty first team exposure.

Interestnig to see Aidan Moynihan on the bench he was previously in the Munster academy formerly of Rockwell College

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Interesting to see how Robb get's on...

slingerz wrote: »
    With Connacht playing in the challenge cup tomorrow this should really be a second choice Connacht side whereas Munster have the likes of JJ, Dougal, Butler with plenty first team exposure.

Interestnig to see Aidan Moynihan on the bench he was previously in the Munster academy formerly of Rockwell College

Jack Dineen played for Crescent Comp theyear they won it but moved to Galway to get into the Connacht Academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Ultan Dillane too, came through Tralee RFC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

@connachtrugby: After 30 mins in Thomond Park the Eagles are trailing munster A 14-13. @micko_mckeon converted @Young_niyisy try as well two penalties.

Saw on Twitter that JOD is off injured after taking a heavy knock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Munster won 33-13

• Advertisement

Saw on Twitter that JOD is off injured after taking a heavy knock.

I hope it's nothing too serious. Aside from this season, Sept-Nov will be very important for him to establish a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

What was the story with parata? Was he offered a full academy place? Centre is one position we could have done with players.

I hope it's nothing too serious. Aside from this season, Sept-Nov will be very important for him to establish a place.

My wife was at the game, she said he walked off the field of play, she didn't see him later but wasn't watching out for him either. Hopefully, it was just a knock and the subbing was precautionary.

Highlights from the A game

Match report here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Dont see any reason why it should have to be. Rest guys ahead of the important league games and keep younger players in with more A games.
    Moynihan was never in the Munster academy or sub academy. Played at some age grade levels(18s/19s) then moved to Connacht.
    case885 wrote: »
    What was the story with parata? Was he offered a full academy place? Centre is one position we could have done with players.
    Parata was a Munster Youth. Coaches didnt want him for the 19s. Preferred others so he went to Connacht and got academy place there

State of Play
    Introducing a new fan-led monthly series to MunsterRugby.ie. State Of Play affords you the opportunity to air your views and have your questions answered regarding all aspects of Munster Rugby.
    Each month, Munster Rugby staff will be available to answer your queries related to their area of expertise from both the Professional and Domestic game - covering everything from ticketing to finance and match-day experience to the team itself.

The series will begin next week with Munster Rugby Chief Executive Garrett Fitzgerald. Garrett oversees all aspects of the Professional and Domestic game, responsible for 70 employees (excluding players) across eight departments as well as working closely with key volunteers to ensure that Munster's governance is activated and productive, and provides for future generations.

Got a question for Garrett? Click here to submit via e-mail or tweet @munsterrugby using the hashtag #StateOfPlay

As ever your feedback is welcome and each month we will endeavour to answer as many questions as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Just spotted this on twitter from Cian Tracey

Munster's bid to sign Agustin Creevy has fallen through after the hooker informed the province that he is headed back to Argentina.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Just spotted this on twitter from Cian Tracey

Munster's bid to sign Agustin Creevy has fallen through after the hooker informed the province that he is headed back to Argentina.

That's a bummer but why not keep Guinazu, he seems to be capable enough and covers prop too.

That's a bummer but why not keep Guinazu, he seems to be capable enough and covers prop too.

Is Guinazu at the required level Munster need though? He's been a great signing for what Munster needed at the time but I'd much prefer someone like Burden. He was outstanding in Toulon's end of season run last year and offers superb dynamism in the loose. Guinazu is also 33 and Burden turns 30 next month.

Now if Sherry is set to come back fit in 2016 then maybe keeping Guinazu on a BJ Botha type deal might be good business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Confirmed this morning that Francis Saili has signed for Munster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement