Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Creevy confirmed he is going to Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

I'd say Saili on €1m over 2yrs is about right. I think JDV got €400k a year and Dougie got around the €300-€400k when he came first

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

While Ulster and Munster are signing top quality players, Leinster's big signing is a player that the IRFU shouldnt have let leave in the first place. The IRFU have really screwed Leinster royally. While all the other provinces get stronger Leinster are kept from signing big names because of a stupid IRFU decision.

Excellent signing and im excited to see him play in the Pro 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Our game v Edinburgh is on BBC Alba and TG4

The officials are
    At BT Murrayfield, 7.30pm Live on BBC ALBA/TG4

Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 29th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Neil Paterson, Andy Macmenemy (both SRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Douglas Hunter (SRU)
    TMO: Iain Ramage (SRU)

On a side note - it is over 12 months since we didn't score a try in a Pro12 game. Our last game in which we didn't score at least one try was v Leinster in the Aviva on 29/3/14

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭letowski

Hopefully we can do it this weekend. Win and were well set for a home SF with Treviso and the Dragons at home then in our last 3 games.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Munster are going to finish top tbh

Squad Update
    The Munster squad gathered in Cork today enjoying the warmer than usual sunny conditions when put through their paces in preparation for Saturday's PRO12 game against Edinburgh, ko 7.30pm.
    Bolstered by a few returning fit bodies, Head Coach Anthony Foley welcomes the selection headache ahead of him in picking the side that will travel to Murrayfield this weekend.

After sustaining a concussion in the 'A' game in Nenagh Donnacha Ryan has successfully come through his return to play protocols, training fully today, and is available for selection this week, as are all of the returning internationals.

Further assessment ruled out any injury concern for Dave O'Callaghan after he sustained some bruising to his hand in the warm-up to Munster's PRO12 game against Connacht.

On a further positive note prop James Cronin (knee) is showing no ill effects after his 40 minutes of game-time for the Munster A's last Thursday in Thomond Park, and there is good news also for Cathal Sheridan (forearm) as he advances to contact training this week, moving closer to a return to action.

Hooker Mike Sherry (shoulder) has progressed with his rehabilitation, partaking in falling and passing drills, while Tyler Bleyendaal has also stepped up his levels of inclusion and continues to progress well.

Academy player Jack O'Donoghue sustained a concussion in the A game against Connacht Eagles and is following return to play protocols.

Barry O'Mahony (ankle), Johnny Holland (hamstring), Cian Bohane (knee), Robin Copeland (shoulder), Dave Foley (wrist) and Gerhard van den Heever (knee) all continue to follow their rehabilitation programmes.

Foley made the most of Munster's match-free weekend and travelled to London on Sunday for Edinburgh's Challenge Cup quarter final against London Irish. "I was over in London on Sunday to see them play and saw the physicality and intensity that they bring to the game. Even when they make changes that doesn't drop off and they have a strong squad, full of depth, and will be tough to play at home.

"We understand what's ahead of us, but the lads need to hit the ground running on Saturday and it's important we just keep our performance in mind, do the job on the day, and prepare the best way possible for it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anthony Foley hoping €1m All Black Francis Saili can solve midfield issues

...hoping €1m All Black Francis Saili can solve...

...All Black Francis Saili...

...Black Francis...

Would have thought he'd make a better prop, tbh:

pixies-frank-black.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Neil3030 wrote: »
    ...hoping €1m All Black Francis Saili can solve...

...All Black Francis Saili...

...Black Francis...

Would have thought he'd make a better prop, tbh:

pixies-frank-black.jpg

Hey, I'm sure we will be Blown Away by his Gigantic performances in the backline alongside Crackity (Felix) Jones. Garret Fitzgerald said "Here Comes Your Man" to Axel, who responded "I'm Amazed". I just hope he doesn't get banned for a Gouge Away from home, or be put out through a Broken Face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Fck!! We've signed the wrong F Black

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

TommyOM wrote: »
    While Ulster and Munster are signing top quality players, Leinster's big signing is a player that the IRFU shouldnt have let leave in the first place. The IRFU have really screwed Leinster royally. While all the other provinces get stronger Leinster are kept from signing big names because of a stupid IRFU decision.

Excellent signing and im excited to see him play in the Pro 12

Leinster have the best outhalf in the pro12 (Madigan) and decided to use their money to replace him with the best outhalf in Europe (Sexton). I doubt the IRFU put a gun to their heads. Munster or Ulster would have been very happy to get Sexton, are in greater need of a quality outhalf and that would have been a better move for the IRFU as both Sexton and Madigan would be starting outhalfs for their provinces? If anything the move screwed The IRFU royally as now their second choice outhalf is stuck on a bench. Leinster wanted Sexton and the IRFU went and got him for them. They can't complain now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Biggar and Russell would have some problems with you saying Madigan is the best outhalf in the Pro12.

Madigan is a good rugby player, but is he a good out-half? I wouldn't swap Keatley for him.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Madigan is a good rugby player, but is he a good out-half? I wouldn't swap Keatley for him.

Wouksny even swap JJ for him ;)

phog wrote: »

They should take a leaf out of Connacht and Ulster's book and use fancy headings. It would tidy up the updates somewhat.

Kilcoyne, Casey, Archer, POC, D Ryan, POM, TOD, Stander;
    Murray, Keatley, Zebo, Hurley, Earls, Conway, Jones

Bench: Guinazu, Cronin, Botha, Holland, DOCII, Williams, JJH, Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

That's where you and I differ I'm afraid

I do believe a move to Munster would be beneficial for Madigan and his international prospects if that is something that motivates him in any way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

touts wrote: »
    Leinster have the best outhalf in the pro12 (Madigan) and decided to use their money to replace him with the best outhalf in Europe (Sexton). I doubt the IRFU put a gun to their heads. Munster or Ulster would have been very happy to get Sexton, are in greater need of a quality outhalf and that would have been a better move for the IRFU as both Sexton and Madigan would be starting outhalfs for their provinces? If anything the move screwed The IRFU royally as now their second choice outhalf is stuck on a bench. Leinster wanted Sexton and the IRFU went and got him for them. They can't complain now.

Best OH in the Pro12? Discounting Pienaar, he's probably only the 4th best OH in the country. Madigan is a very talented player, but he's not an OH and if he stays at Leinster, he'll be 30 before he starts regularly with 10 on his back.

Best OH in the Pro12? Discounting Pienaar, he's probably only the 4th best OH in the country. Madigan is a very talented player, but he's not an OH and if he stays at Leinster, he'll be 30 before he starts regularly with 10 on his back.

That's also if Ross Byrne doesn't claim a starting spot before then, who looks like a fantastic prospect, very Sexton-esque. Wish he was from Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ian Madigan will never be first choice outhalf at Leinster, at this point.

Buer wrote: »
    Ian Madigan will never be first choice outhalf at Leinster, at this point.

If he turns into another Paddy Wallace I'd be happy with that though!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

touts wrote: »

This post is so wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hey, I'm sure we will be Blown Away by his Gigantic performances in the backline alongside Crackity (Felix) Jones. Garret Fitzgerald said "Here Comes Your Man" to Axel, who responded "I'm Amazed". I just hope he doesn't get banned for a Gouge Away from home, or be put out through a Broken Face.

I don't have Something Against You, but Oh My Golly those awful puns are going to Break my Body....

Dutchy joins Hurricanes coaching staff

Former Manawatu and Munster centre Jason Holland has today been appointed assistant coach of the Hurricanes for the 2016 season.

Holland will join the club in place of outgoing assistant coach, Clark Laidlaw, who will head to London Irish at the end of the 2015 Super Rugby season.

They should take a leaf out of Connacht and Ulster's book and use fancy headings. It would tidy up the updates somewhat.

Kilcoyne, Casey, Archer, POC, D Ryan, POM, TOD, Stander;
    Murray, Keatley, Zebo, Hurley, Earls, Conway, Jones

Bench: Guinazu, Cronin, Botha, Holland, DOCII, Williams, JJH, Smith

That's a very strong team. If that team does line out, I'd expect a BP.

Over in the Leinster thread, they're talking about their plight during the WC. How many of our players do we expect to go?

Obviously POC, POM, Murray are nailed-on certainties if fit. I would also imagine that 2 from Earls/Zebo/Jones will go based on recent squads.

TOD is a possibility but not a certainty, Foley or even Ryan have an outside chance of being the fourth lock, McCarthy hasn't been pulling up trees.

Elsewhere- Keatley... outside chance if Jackson is fit, I can't see him going. Killer/Cronin could go as a 3rd choice LH if it's 31-man squads.

Still should have a fairly strong team left back at home.

Potentially could have:

Killer, Casey, Botha, Foley, Ryan, Stander, TOD, JOD, TOL, Keatley, Zebo, Hurley, Saili, Conway, ROM

Sherry, Cronin, Archer, Holland, Copeland, Williams, Bleyendaal, LOD

Fairly strong team for during WC time, obviously presuming there's no injuries.

With Ruddock out injured I would expect TOD to definitely be on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I wouldn't say "definitely" but Ruddock's injury certainly strengthens his case.

Assuming POM, Heaslip, O'Brien and Murphy are definites, I think it will come down to TOD vs Henry.

Otherwise I think Fireball has it right - except Foley/Ryan, I think Tuohy will go ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I wouldn't say "definitely" but Ruddock's injury certainly strengthens his case.

Assuming POM, Heaslip, O'Brien and Murphy are definites, I think it will come down to TOD vs Henry.

Otherwise I think Fireball has it right - except Foley/Ryan, I think Tuohy will go ahead of them.

The good thing I suppose is that even in the case of TOd or Henry, Tuohy or Foley etc not being picked, we are close enough in case of injury. TOD and Henry are pretty different players with TOD being more Slatterty - like and Henry being less constructive or attack orientated but a ground hog disruptor nuisance. Tuohy will go as one of the locks if he stays away from broken bones. His pace, aggression and ball handling skills are pretty impressive so I'd imagine, Toner, Poc, Tuohy, Henderson would be the 4 front runners unless Foley and Ryan suddenly become crosses between Ali Williams and Brad Thorn.

Academy Update

In the update, I see Munster 'A' play Ulster Ravens on Thurs 16th in Banbridge.

I saw a tweet earlier that Cathal Sheridan will play for UL tomorrow, I hadn't realised he was back from injury.

• Advertisement

I saw a tweet earlier that Cathal Sheridan will play for UL tomorrow, I hadn't realised he was back from injury.

I would guess he's being released by Munster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wang King wrote: »

He was part of the injury update this week, said he was back to training. What a lousy time in his career to pick up a season stealing injury :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

Saili on bench for Blues

Wang King wrote: »

He is contracted until 2016. However maybe they will work out an exit as he could be 4th choice next year which would ruin his future prospects.

He is contracted until 2016. However maybe they will work out an exit as he could be 4th choice next year which would ruin his future prospects.

With Duncan being given an extension, and TOL coming in, yes, he's def going to be 4th choice and will probably have a look in England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

No mercy today guys if ye wouldn't mind :-)

The bonus point win in Edinburgh now means that we have both scored the most tries and points, and conceded the least tries and points in the Pro12 the season. Despite having the best attack and defence in the league, we're still 2 points behind the leaders.

Archer needs to start at TH.

Earls' form is something else right now.

The bonus point win in Edinburgh now means that we have both scored the most tries and points, and conceded the least tries and points in the Pro12 the season. Despite having the best attack and defence in the league, we're still 2 points behind the leaders.

Was just going to post that. It is impressive, pity we couldn't bring that to Europe this year... I'll have nightmares about that Saracens game for years :/

• Advertisement

James Coughlan and Sean Dougal are going to be playing Top14 rugby next season as Pau haqve been promoted from the ProD2.

Was just going to post that. It is impressive, pity we couldn't bring that to Europe this year... I'll have nightmares about that Saracens game for years :/

Losing to Clermont in Thomond Park did the damage, injuries to the wrong players at the wrong time didn't help us either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Thanks. We were rubbish tonight but you helped our case

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

James Coughlan and Sean Dougal are going to be playing Top14 rugby next season as Pau haqve been promoted from the ProD2.

Man-up-athon for the lads!

Jean Bouilhou is sticking around for another season and I'm sure they will bring in a few more names so there will be plenty competition for places. The club is getting an increased investment from Total and they'll need it. Money doesn't guarantee anything though, Lyon can attest to that.
    Losing to Clermont in Thomond Park did the damage, injuries to the wrong players at the wrong time didn't help us either.

The first 40 minutes away to Sale were pretty rough too. We can't have any complaints about not getting out and hopefully we'll have an easier pool next season a la 2013/14.

ouncer wrote: »
    Thanks. We were rubbish tonight but you helped our case

Actually, your scores helped us into 2nd spot as Ulster's PD was kept low.

• Advertisement

The first 40 minutes away to Sale were pretty rough too.

I think we all only got 4 points there and Sale almost beat Saracens there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Top 4 is nailed down now.

We should be looking to finish top. Ulster will choke somewhere, they always do.

A Munster/Ospreys final I'd say.

In case anyone here is interested the Dublin Branch of the MRSC are running a bus to the Ulster game.

Greg O'Shea picked up an injury yesterday while playing for Shannon in the junior cup.

Rumour down here that Danny Barnes is returning for nest season

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement