Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Good days work. Next game will be very interesting.

Plenty of work to keep them grounded, maul defense was poor, scramble not great either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Certainly shouldn't be conceding such a big score @ home to amateurs like treviso. I'd be worried for our semi-final on that showing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I suppose Treviso have a spot in Europe to play for so they weren't going to phone it in. Hopefully we will have Hurley and POC back for the trip to Ravenspan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Rightwing wrote: »
    Certainly shouldn't be conceding such a big score @ home to amateurs like treviso. I'd be worried for our semi-final on that showing.

I wouldn't, it was a game that was always going to be won, the result was more important than the performance.
    It reminded me of a league game before a big HC game.. eyes focused on the Ulster game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Wang King wrote: »
    I wouldn't, it was a game that was always going to be won, the result was more important than the performance.
    It reminded me of a league game before a big HC game.. eyes focused on the Ulster game

Perhaps you are right. The Ulster match will tell us a lot about Foley, we've struggled with Ulster lately. I'd like to see Ulster come in 3rd.

• Advertisement

Rightwing wrote: »
    Perhaps you are right. The Ulster match will tell us a lot about Foley, we've struggled with Ulster lately. I'd like to see Ulster come in 3rd.

I'd rather they came 4th, but won't be happening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Wang King wrote: »
    I'd rather they came 4th, but won't be happening

Actually there's a possibilty that Munster, Ulster and Ospreys could finish level on points, which would put Ospreys 2nd and as it stands Munster 3rd and Ulster 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Very disappointed with the game, aside from securing the BP win I thought we were poor against a poor opposition.

I thought we had a knockon in the lineout before our first try, also thought Zebo held back a Zebo player in that kick & chase from our tryline.

Our maul was ineffective but our scrum was top notch. A few rusty performances but would prefer those today than in Belfast.

All told another BP win, our 7th of the season so hard to be too critical of the leads.

CJ and POM took big knocks but both played on so hopefully both will be available for our games v Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Munster will finish 1st, Glasgow 2nd, Ospreys 3rd and Ulster 4th

Was barely aware Munster were playing this weekend but I heard D.Ryan started, very good news. How did he get on?

• Advertisement

hendo12 wrote:
    Munster will finish 1st, Glasgow 2nd, Ospreys 3rd and Ulster 4th

How are you calculating this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I wonder how Munster are going to play this.

If they go all out for a win and get it in Ulster there's room to put out a weaker team against the Dragons the following week and rest some guys for the SF the week after.

Next weekend is the HEC final but then there's no break in the Pro12 until it ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

CatFromHue wrote: »

If they go all out for a win and get it in Ulster there's room to put out a weaker team against the Dragons the following week and rest some guys for the SF the week after.

Next weekend is the HEC final but then there's no break in the Pro12 until it ends.

I reckon we go all out to win against Ulster and see what happens then...

phog wrote: »
    How are you calculating this?

Probably after a few Jaeger bombs last night I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

As the old saying goes, you can only play what's infront of you.BP win, who really cares what they score after that as long as we win. Ulster away will see us step up a gear. This will be a dress rehearsal for a semi or final.

8 points ensures us a home s/final, go to Ulster and if we get a win then a five pointer v Dragons won't be needed.

The game in Ravenhill is close to being a final, both teams will probably be their first 23.

La Provence (regional paper) saying POC has agreed a deal with Toulon: http://www.laprovence.com/actu/region-en-direct/3380048/rct.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

La Provence (regional paper) saying POC has agreed a deal with Toulon: http://www.laprovence.com/actu/region-en-direct/3380048/rct.html

You couldn't begrudge POC the payday and opportunity. Hopefully he would also begin to take up somewhat of a coaching capacity with Toulon. I don't really see it happening though.

It would be a huge kick in the teeth for Munster. Would Munster see any of the cash from the probable contract buy-out, or would the IRFU be the sole benefactors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Reputable publication?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fair play to him. I hope he's getting an absolute sh*tload of money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Would Schmidt and Nucifora come out with the statements they came out with last week if he was actually leaving? http://balls.ie/rugby/268740-joe-schmidt-on-paul-o-connell-s-future/

Schmidt admitted that he will try and influence O’Connell’s decision making, but acknowledges that O’Connell is a man to make his own decisions:
    I don’t know if you have spent a lot of time with the man, but he makes his own decisions.
    I have an incredible respect for the man. He has done a phenomenal job in leading Ireland and that is something which will continue through the World Cup.
    Of course, we will try to influence him.

The IRFU’s performance director David Nucifora echoed Schmidt’s sentiment’s. Nucifora revealed that there had been no discussions with O’Connell over any contract extensions or his future with the Munsterman’s current deal not due to expire until June 2016:
    Paul is contracted until the end of June 2016 so unless I hear otherwise thats what’s going on.
    It is not an issue at the moment. Paul has got a contract at the moment and until it comes up as a subject for discussion.

Buer wrote: »
    Reputable publication?
    I don't know.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't believe it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Hmmm, bit skeptical of that now, but it could be a very good deal for the IRFU.

O'Connell is contracted for next season; if he wants to go then I'd imagine IRFU won't hold him to that, but they might look for a cheque from Toulon to soften the blow. Since the guy is floating the idea of retiring after the RWC anyway, it might be tempting for IRFU.

If Ryan can stay fit and Foley can keep improving, then it might not be a hammer blow for Munster either.

Sure we'll see.

Does it say something that they decided to publish despite Toulon rubbishing it last week?

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He has a year to go on his contract. The Irish Captain being bought out of his contract to move abroad is too big of a story. No way is it true because there's no way it'd be allowed to happen.

awec wrote: »
    He has a year to go on his contract. The Irish Captain being bought out of his contract to move abroad is too big of a story. No way is it true because there's no way it'd be allowed to happen.
    If Toulon offer enough of a transfer fee, why not? I'd agree with you if POC was 30 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Jen_Jane_Ryan

only 2 munster players included in JWC squad, Stephen Fitzgerald and Sean McNulty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If Toulon offer enough of a transfer fee, why not? I'd agree with you if POC was 30 or so.

Yeah, +1 on that.

And much as we'd like to think POC would soldier on for love of the red jersey, he has nothing left to win with Munster, and after the RWC, he'll have nothing more to achieve with Ireland (regardless of how it pans out).

A decent fee for IRFU, a significant pension contribution for POC, and a shot at a top 14 medal or even another european title with a new club? It could be win-win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Would Schmidt and Nucifora come out with the statements they came out with last week if he was actually leaving? http://balls.ie/rugby/268740-joe-schmidt-on-paul-o-connell-s-future/

Schmidt admitted that he will try and influence O’Connell’s decision making, but acknowledges that O’Connell is a man to make his own decisions:
    I don’t know if you have spent a lot of time with the man, but he makes his own decisions.
    I have an incredible respect for the man. He has done a phenomenal job in leading Ireland and that is something which will continue through the World Cup.
    Of course, we will try to influence him.

The IRFU’s performance director David Nucifora echoed Schmidt’s sentiment’s. Nucifora revealed that there had been no discussions with O’Connell over any contract extensions or his future with the Munsterman’s current deal not due to expire until June 2016:
    Paul is contracted until the end of June 2016 so unless I hear otherwise thats what’s going on.
    It is not an issue at the moment. Paul has got a contract at the moment and until it comes up as a subject for discussion.

It's not that big leap of the imagination to reduce the above to:

Schmidt: I'll try and make him stay
    Nucifora: He's under contract which will have to bought out

The amount of refusals saying it wasn't happening last week lead me to think something actually is happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

It's not that big leap of the imagination to reduce the above to:

Schmidt: I'll try and make him stay
    Nucifora: He's under contract which will have to bought out

The amount of refusals saying it wasn't happening last week lead me to think something actually is happening!

surely Munster would need to know soon as so they can potentially go for a replacement from the SH?

aimee1 wrote: »
    surely Munster would need to know soon as so they can potentially go for a replacement from the SH?
    Munster wouldn't need a replacement from the SH. I'm confident we can replace from within in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Munster wouldn't need a replacement from the SH. I'm confident we can replace from within in the long term.

Step forward Dave O'Callaghan.

Wonder could we see Robin Copeland play a bit in the second row?

Not to mention Dave Foley, Donnacha Ryan, Billy Holland (having a great season). Any bright lock prospects coming through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

leakyboots wrote:
    Not to mention Dave Foley, Donnacha Ryan, Billy Holland (having a great season). Any bright lock prospects coming through?

John madigan, has been plagued by injuries but he's ready physically and has been involved with the A's the last few games so he should see game time next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

leakyboots wrote: »
    Step forward Dave O'Callaghan.

Wonder could we see Robin Copeland play a bit in the second row?

Some fine players there but none even nearly on the level of POC. If we managed to keep Foley/Ryan fit and in-form, it would still be one of the best lock partnerships around but it would be a huge drop off at the same time.

case885 wrote: »
    John madigan, has been plagued by injuries but he's ready physically and has been involved with the A's the last few games so he should see game time next season.

Hopefully he does.

Murray Kinsella's analysis of TOD's try

Squad Update

Felix Jones was an early withdrawal from Saturday's encounter - the full-back left the field for a HIA (Head Injury Assessment) on 51 minutes and will be further assessed this week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bleyendaal and Sheridan starting for Munster A tomorrow! Awesome news!

athtrasna wrote: »
    Bleyendaal and Sheridan starting for Munster A tomorrow! Awesome news!

Great that he's got the green light! Maybe we might get a glimpse of him against the Dragons.

Munster A:
    Johne Murphy; Darren Sweetnam, David Johnston, Dan Goggin, Luke O'Dea; Tyler Bleyendaal, Cathal Sheridan;
    Liam O'Connor, Niall Scannell, Peter McCabe; John Madigan, Frank Bradshaw Ryan; Dave O'Callaghan, Conor Oliver, Jack O'Donoghue - capt.

Replacements:
    Luke O'Halloran (Young Munster), Niall Horan (Academy), JP Phelan (UCD), Lee Nicholas (Shannon), Diarmaid Dee (Young Munster), Olly Lyons (Exiles), Neil Cronin (Garryowen), Gearoid Lyons (Academy), Robbie Deegan (Shannon), Alex Wootton (Academy), Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Great that he's got the green light! Maybe we might get a glimpse of him against the Dragons.

Munster A:
    Johne Murphy; Darren Sweetnam, David Johnston, Dan Goggin, Luke O'Dea; Tyler Bleyendaal, Cathal Sheridan;
    Liam O'Connor, Niall Scannell, Peter McCabe; John Madigan, Frank Bradshaw Ryan; Dave O'Callaghan, Conor Oliver, Jack O'Donoghue - capt.

Replacements:
    Luke O'Halloran (Young Munster), Niall Horan (Academy), JP Phelan (UCD), Lee Nicholas (Shannon), Diarmaid Dee (Young Munster), Olly Lyons (Exiles), Neil Cronin (Garryowen), Gearoid Lyons (Academy), Robbie Deegan (Shannon), Alex Wootton (Academy), Diarmuid McCarthy (Young Munster).
    Some interesting picks here besides Bleyendaal.
    Conor Oliver, JP Phelan and Olly Lyons being picked is very interesting. All in line for academy spots potentially or could Oliver just be getting game time ahead of 20s world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Who is Conor Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

hendo12 wrote: »
    Who is Conor Oliver

19 year old 7 probably in academy next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Who is Conor Oliver

Went to Rock, decent flanker with size and pace. Could use a bit more weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Who is Conor Oliver
    Backrow from Leinster
    JPCN1 wrote: »
    Went to Rock, decent flanker with size and pace. Could use a bit more weight.
    Went to Blackrock for 1 year. He was a Leinster Youth. Played in Skerries in youths rugby until he moved to Blackrock for his final year in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Have heard that more experienced, homegrown players have been asked to join on a small contract but have turned it down as they have full time jobs and would want at least a development contract to join Munster fulltime. This is a potentially cheaper option with an academy contract if he works out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Hopefully Tyler comes through today unscathed. If he can prove his fitness he is supposed to have been very impressive in training

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement