Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

HT 17-13 to Munster, Oliver got a try in his debut, think O'Dea and Murphy are the other try scorers, conversion from Tyler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So the O' Connell/ Toulon rumour is just that. No doubt Paulie is telling the truth.

http://m.rte.ie/sport/rugby/international/2015/0429/697605-video-paul-oconnell-retirement-toulon/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

hendo12 wrote: »
    Who is Conor Oliver

Former Blackrock College openside flanker, currently playing his rugby at St.Mary's and a member of the u20s jwc squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Match report from the42.ie

Impressive win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 balbriggan100

Tyler needs a lot more games before we see the best of him. Diarmuid McCarthy has to be signed by Munster after that second half. 2 chances, neither straightforward and he scores both.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Tyler needs a lot more games before we see the best of him. Diarmuid McCarthy has to be signed by Munster after that second half. 2 chances, neither straightforward and he scores both.

It's good to see he's playing well, but Munster are well stocked on the wings. Zebo, Earls, Van Der Heever, O'Mahony, O'Dea, Conway and Sweetnam are already there. Plus he's 25. He'll likely see some gametime next season during the world cup and play for the A team in the B&I cup, but I don't see him getting a contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

What kind of contract would you see McCarthy getting? We've plenty of wings/full backs. TBH id rather we looked at guys already in the academy. Great to see Diarmuid back playing rugby. Used torment us when playing age grade back 05/06/07 when we played against him for C'troy etc

I don't think we should be talking and saying things like he has to be signed by Munster. The fact this guy is back playing rugby at all is good news let alone at potentially a professional level. He was a real talent not just in rugby and its great seeing him simply on the pitch at this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd rather give someone like that a chance then bring a player like Barnes back.

Also Ivan Dineen is out of contract so McCarthy could replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 balbriggan100

As is Van Den Heever and O'Dea. Someone will sign McCarthy, I would sooner he played for us as against us.

• Advertisement

Given that Munster has McCarthy in training camps and appearing in a few A games in the later stages of the season I reckon Munster will offer him something for next season at least.

If he's good enough then he'll pass out those that are now seen as being ahead of him.

Match report from Munster Rugby

Dave O'Callaghan picked up an knee injury at the game.

Micko on McCarthy

O'Driscoll said he hoped to see the former schools star signed up to a senior deal next season.

"We're hopeful of getting something for him," he said of McCarthy. "He certainly did himself no harm today. When he came on he did very well, carried well and scored two good tries."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Tony Ward will be delighted!

#mccarthyforireland

How old is McCarthy? 24/25?

• Advertisement

As is Van Den Heever and O'Dea. Someone will sign McCarthy, I would sooner he played for us as against us.

Vas den Heever is contracted until 2016. From Garrett Fitzgerald When Gerhard joined us, he started in November 2013 on a 2 year 8 month contract, so his current contract runs until June 2016.

He won the Schools Senior Cup with Castletroy back in 2008, so he'd be around that age.

HOOKERS

Mike Sherry 2015
    Damien Varley 2015 - RETIRING
    Duncan Casey 2016
    Niall Scannell 2017
    Kevin O'Byrne 2016
    Eusebio Guinazu 2015

Max Abbott Year 1

PROPS

James Cronin 2016
    Dave Kilcoyne 2017

BJ Botha January 2016
    Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2016
    Alan Cotter 2015 - LEAVING (AIX-EN-PROVENCE)
    Martin Kelly 2015 - RETIRING

Niall Horan Year 2
    Rory Burke Year 2
    Brian Scott Year 1

LOCKS

Paul O'Connell 2016
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Donncha O'Callaghan 2016
    Dave Foley 2017
    Billy Holland 2016

Sean McCarthy Year 2
    John Madigan Year 2
    Darragh Moloney Year 1

FLANKERS

Peter O'Mahony 2018
    Dave O'Callaghan 2016
    Sean Dougall 2015 - LEAVING (PAU)
    Tommy O'Donnell 2016
    Barry O'Mahony 2015
    Shane Buckley 2016
    Jordan Coghlan 2016 - ARRIVING

Ryan Murphy Year 3

NUMBER EIGHTS

Robin Copeland 2016
    Paddy Butler 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    CJ Stander 2016
    Jack O'Donoghue 2018

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016
    Duncan Williams 2017
    Tomas O'Leary 2017 - ARRIVING

Jack Cullen Year 2
    Ryan Foley Year 1
    Jame Glynn Year 1

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2017
    JJ Hanrahan 2015 - LEAVING (NORTHAMPTON SAINTS)
    Tyler Bleyendall 2017
    Johnny Holland 2017

Gearoid Lyons Year 2

CENTRES

Ivan Dineen 2015
    Cian Bohane 2017
    Denis Hurley 2016
    Andrew Smith 2015
    Francis Saili 2017 - ARRIVING

Rory Scannell Year 2
    Dan Goggin Year 1

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2016
    Johne Murphy 2015
    Andrew Conway 2016
    Luke O'Dea 2015
    Ronan O'Mahony 2017
    Darren Sweetnam 2017

Alex Wootton Year 2
    Greg O'Shea Year 2

FULLBACKS

Felix Jones 2017

David Johnston Year 2
    Stephen Fitzgerald Year 1

With VDH under contract, our NIEs for next year are:

- BJ Botha (NIE)
    - Tyler Bleyendaal (NIE/project)
    - Francis Saili (NIE)
    - Gerhard Van Den Heever (NIE/project)

CJ Stander qualifies (ugh) in November so I'm not counting him. In the video Fitzgerald mentioned 4+1 instead of 3+1 so it looks like there is space for a hooker? Tbh Guinazu has been such a good signing that maybe we will keep him on if a bigger name like Craig Burden doesn't sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

CJ Stander qualifies (ugh) in November so I'm not counting him.

Didn't think you felt that strongly about it?

25 this year sometime. Same age as Zebo, Paddy Butler

• Advertisement

Didn't think you felt that strongly about it?
    I don't like project players. I have no problem with the players in question, they just want to make €€€ and I won't begrudge them that. My problem is more with the IRFU and the provinces actively recruiting players for Ireland. Designating a '+1' spot for a project player effectively does that. This should not happen.

Anyway the above is nothing I haven't said before on here so I won't drag the thread off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

I don't like project players. I have no problem with the players in question, they just want to make €€€ and I won't begrudge them that. My problem is more with the IRFU and the provinces actively recruiting players for Ireland. Designating a '+1' spot for a project player effectively does that. This should not happen.

Anyway the above is nothing I haven't said before on here so I won't drag the thread off topic.

No worries, thanks for clarifying. I see your point about the +1 thing and agree with it. We'll leave it there sure!

Munster Awards are on today
    winners:

CJ Stander - Senior Player of the Year
    Duncan Casey - Young Player of the Year
    Jack O Donoghue - Academy Player of the Year

Young Munster - Senior Club of the Year
    Clonmel - Junior Club of the Year
    Ennis - Youths Club of the Year
    Bandon Grammar - School of the Year
    Listowel - Mini Rugby Club of the Year
    Ciara Griffin - Munster Women's player of the Year
    Andy Brace - Referee of the Year
    Noel Murphy - Hall of Fame inductee

Munster Awards are on today
    winners:

Tommy O Donnell - Senior Player of the Year
    Havent seen who has won Academy Player

Young Munster - Senior Club of the Year
    Clonmel - Junior Club of the Year
    Ennis - Youths Club of the Year
    Bandon Grammar - School of the Year
    Listowel - Mini Rugby Club of the Year
    Ciara Griffin - Munster Women's player of the Year
    Andy Brace - Referee of the Year
    Noel Murphy - Hall of Fame inductee

Jack O'Donaghue is the Academy Player of the year and Duncan Casey is Young Player of the Year.

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 49s50 seconds ago

Congrats @CJStander Munster Player of the Year; First overseas player to win this award http://tinyurl.com/kzjc5fl

Munster Rugby ‏@Munsterrugby 49s50 seconds ago

Congrats @CJStander Munster Player of the Year; First overseas player to win this award http://tinyurl.com/kzjc5fl

No huge surprise there though Tommy O'Donnell must have ran him close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

phog wrote: »
    No huge surprise there though Tommy O'Donnell must have ran him close.

Cj had to get the award. His try-scoring and number of MOTM awards are crazy.

^^^^^ Closet Munster fan
    :);)

Wang King wrote: »
    ^^^^^ Closet Munster fan
    :);)

Haha. I'm excited about the young talent across Ireland in all the provinces. Great to see John Madigan injury free and always great to see a lock in full flight.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ah now I get it.

The A game was in Naas so that's why both teams wore their away jerseys :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

slingerz wrote: »
    Pity his name is Aled not Alex!

Damn auto correct :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

I see there are 2 munster tries up for sky sports pro 12 try of the year Copeland & JOD.

https://youtu.be/x5PI8MfDhgY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Which is better, Copeland's or O'Donoghue's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Which is better, Copeland's or O'Donoghue's?

Jacks definitely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

slingerz wrote: »
    Jacks definitely

Earls work for JOD's try was fantastic. I mentioned it at the time, but he must have beaten ~6 players with his run.

Any word on Dave O'Callaghan's injury that he picked up early in that A game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Some great tries there, JOD's was class. Gilroy's and Healy's were both very nice too. Gilroy probably had the best individual try but some awful defending at the same time- but I suppose that's the same for them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Been watching pretty much everything YouTube has to offer on Saili and I'm excited. I know that YouTube clips can make a hero out of anyone, but he seems to have a very good skillset, his game is well-varied. A lot of tries from taking a great line, he's got a fine burst of acceleration and is quite powerful. Looks to offload a lot and doesn't seem to be overly selfish on the ball, well able to fix the defender and put a winger away.

I don't want to be too harsh on Smith but Saili is on a different level completely, and if he was put at 12 alongside Earls, it could be a really exciting partnership. There is also the option of him being at 13 with Bleyendaal/Hurley inside him but as far as I can tell, 12 is his preferred position.

If he's allowed to play, he can do serious damage. I can't wait for it tbh. Pity that there will be so much disruption next season with the WC, SH is a bit of a worry for us... our backs are rarely as good when Murray isn't there. Maybe TOL can help a bit?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Been watching pretty much everything YouTube has to offer on Saili and I'm excited. I know that YouTube clips can make a hero out of anyone, but he seems to have a very good skillset, his game is well-varied. A lot of tries from taking a great line, he's got a fine burst of acceleration and is quite powerful. Looks to offload a lot and doesn't seem to be overly selfish on the ball, well able to fix the defender and put a winger away.

I don't want to be too harsh on Smith but Saili is on a different level completely, and if he was put at 12 alongside Earls, it could be a really exciting partnership. There is also the option of him being at 13 with Bleyendaal/Hurley inside him but as far as I can tell, 12 is his preferred position.

If he's allowed to play, he can do serious damage. I can't wait for it tbh. Pity that there will be so much disruption next season with the WC, SH is a bit of a worry for us... our backs are rarely as good when Murray isn't there. Maybe TOL can help a bit?

He's starting at 13 tomorrow v Western Force

phog wrote: »
    He's starting at 13 tomorrow v Western Force

He started last week at 13 too I think, scored a nice try and all

Wang King wrote: »
    He started last week at 13 too I think, scored a nice try and all

Yes and yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Cheers.

I just impulse-bought the shit out of the hoody and trackie pants. Payday was yesterday and I got a pretty hefty promotion this week too, so this came along at good time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Sound, been meaning on picking up the training jersey. Although now that I look at the site there are a few more things I might pick up :p. I'll need to set myself a budget.

Owens to ref our game next Saturday.
    Nigel Owens (@Nigelrefowens) tweeted at 0:54 PM on Mon, May 04, 2015:
    Time to start preparing for this weekend's big match in Belfast now. Refin Ulster v Munster Saturday in the crunch @PRO12rugby Irish Derby

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement