Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

slingerz wrote: »
    Get Robbie Henshaw in for 13 to compliment Salli!

Absolutely not while Henshaw is under contract with Connacht.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Why was Andrew Smith signed? He just doesn't seem of the requisite quality - waste of a NIQ spot to get such an average player on board

donfers wrote: »
    Why was Andrew Smith signed? He just doesn't seem of the requisite quality - waste of a NIQ spot to get such an average player on board

It wasn't really a waste of an NIQ spot, centre was the most pressing concern and it was only a 1 year deal. It was likely he wasn't going to be of the requisite quality tbh given his career in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Tipoki mainly played 13 for us though, but a smart footballer is very very welcome.

Saili/Earls... could be good.

Always thought tipoki was a better 12 than 13 myself. Would have probably been an AB save for his appalling on field discipline in NZ...which seemed to not be an issue in munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Absolutely not while Henshaw is under contract with Connacht.

Contract's are there to be broken!

• Advertisement

So it gives Munster the right to rob a player that Connacht developed? Unless there is significant compensation paid (I'm talking six figure sum), then absolutely no way. You may as well shut down Connacht if they are simply a feeder club to the other provinces.

I've heard Connacht in serious talks with POM, Earls & Murray :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

So it gives Munster the right to rob a player that Connacht developed? Unless there is significant compensation paid (I'm talking six figure sum), then absolutely no way. You may as well shut down Connacht if they are simply a feeder club to the other provinces.

I don't think 'slingerz' was being completely serious?

This notion of the six figure compensation was thrown out when the "rumour" of Henshaw going to Leinster was still being flogged. It would never happen.

the LOL's are fierce in here!

the LOL's are fierce in here!

Ugh I'm sorry for jumping at you.

I blame Joe.ie for saying a signing would be announced today. Where is it? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Saili announcement tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Get Robbie Henshaw in for 13 to compliment Salli!

I'd love to see Henshaw come to Munster but if the IRFU are serious about Connacht and they seem to have thrown more money there than they had been then why should they allow him move. He's part of the success of Connacht, why ruin that now.

phog wrote: »
    I'd love to see Henshaw come to Munster but if the IRFU are serious about Connacht and they seem to have thrown more money there than they had been then why should they allow him move. He's part of the success of Connacht, why ruin that now.

If the IRFU are serious about developing Connacht then they need to keep Henshaw & Marmion but also there are some players on the periphery of the other provinces that would improve the Connacht squad if they had the funding. Those players could then get exposed to European rugby and perhaps develop through for the Irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Leinsterblue

hendo12 wrote: »
    Saili announcement tomorrow

What time ?..... I think this will be another fail on the Munster hitlist... they seem to put out stories of having players in their sights but no sign of actually bagging any.

What time ?..... I think this will be another fail on the Munster hitlist... they seem to put out stories of having players in their sights but no sign of actually bagging any.

I have seen zero/zilch on NZ websites, but lately the breaking signings have been announced in Europe before NZ...

The day after JJ Hanrahan left for Northampton the press release stated they were in the mix for the poor mans honeybadger Rob Horne, they failed that and prior to this it was Ben Smith, then Conrad Smith, and now Saili and Creevy... someone is going on spin overdrive down south but nothing seems to arrive...

The day after JJ Hanrahan left for Northampton the press release stated they were in the mix for the poor mans honeybadger Rob Horne, they failed that and prior to this it was Ben Smith, then Conrad Smith, and now Saili and Creevy... someone is going on spin overdrive down south but nothing seems to arrive...

There was no press release saying anything about Rob Horne.

There was no press release saying anything about Rob Horne.

Granted and correct there was no official press release, but someone or "a close source at Munster" is spinning wildly these stories about possible signings, is it because players seem to be leaving the Foley regime.... just a theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

How many players have left?

We're backrow rich...

I think your theory is more wishful thinking than possessing facts...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Granted and correct there was no official press release, but someone or "a close source at Munster" is spinning wildly these stories about possible signings, is it because players seem to be leaving the Foley regime.... just a theory.

FFS. JJ, Dougall and Butler are the only players confirmed leaving compared to around 10 resigning. The only loss to Munster out of that 3 is JJ.

• Advertisement

JJH is really the only player you could accuse the management of mismanaging and therefore encouraging him to look elsewhere. Dougall and Butler were rightly squad players given the form of POM, CJ, TOD etc. We have a ready made replacement for Butler too in Jack O'Donoghue.

The common denominator is not Munster, it's the Irish Independent. Where did the Henshaw-Leinster "rumour" come from? Or indeed the Payne-Leinster one?

Yup. It is the worst form of clickbait and what's worse, it seems to be a definite policy of theirs to drive up traffic with baseless speculation:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2015/02/11/clickbait-speculation-and-bruce-springsteen-at-croker/

Not to mention Copeland...and shane buckley

and Dave O'C

So looking at the Ireland 23, Cronin and Keatley available for Saturday? Earls was 24th man last week, so I expect him to be the same this week and I reckon TOD will be kept in case O'Brien breaks down again.

So looking at the Ireland 23, Cronin and Keatley available for Saturday? Earls was 24th man last week, so I expect him to be the same this week and I reckon TOD will be kept in case O'Brien breaks down again.

Reckon Fitzgerald will be the 24th man with the Leinster game the day after allowing Fitz to play there if not used

Reckon Fitzgerald will be the 24th man with the Leinster game the day after allowing Fitz to play there if not used

That's a good point. Both Earls and Fitzgerald will be free to play in that scenario.

Obviously the players that have become available would rather be in Dublin but it means Munster will be able to put out a very strong side. Having Cronin, Keatley and Earls back is a major boost.

Yeah just seen the last line in the Times article - Luke Fitzgerald and O’Donnell will remain in the Ireland camp as additional cover.

So that means that Earls, Keatley and Cronin are all available for Saturday.

Would have been nice to have Tommy back as well though given the injury situation in the backrow. Probably better than having him hold tackle bags in Dublin.

Reckon Jack O'Donoughue could get an outing at 8 this weekend. Big potential with this kid.

• Advertisement

How many players have left?

We're backrow rich...

I think your theory is more wishful thinking than possessing facts...

Hell no, not an ounce of wishful thinking on my part.. probably just the Dublin meedja....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

.. probably just the Dublin meedja....

There's no 'probably' about it...since BOD retired they have little else to **** write about, so turning molehills into mountains is their only option. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Would have been nice to have Tommy back as well though given the injury situation in the backrow. Probably better than having him hold tackle bags in Dublin.

Reckon Jack O'Donoughue could get an outing at 8 this weekend. Big potential with this kid.

I doubt we'll see Tommy released back to the province, he'll surely play the part that Diack had last week for Ireland, 24th man

The common denominator is not Munster, it's the Irish Independent. Where did the Henshaw-Leinster "rumour" come from? Or indeed the Payne-Leinster one?

Yup. It is the worst form of clickbait and what's worse, it seems to be a definite policy of theirs to drive up traffic with baseless speculation:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2015/02/11/clickbait-speculation-and-bruce-springsteen-at-croker/

The other thing of course is that *shock* *horror* Franics Saili might actually want to play a bit more rugby yet at home: he's been in the ABs before, and with Nonu & C. Smith moving on, SBW possibly looking at Olympic 7s, and Ryan Crotty not yet re-signed, he may still harbour hopes of a few more AB caps. I wouldn't be surprised if he signed for Munster, because I have my doubts about his ability to make it to the top in NZ, but I also wouldn't be surprised to read he's signed a 2-year extension with the NZRFU.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

... and by extension. .. boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ... and by extension. .. boards.ie

A quick read of the soccer transfer speculation shows that the vast majority of rumours there never have any basis in reality but just fill up column inches of "Soccer coverage" and attract readers. With Rugby becoming popular it seems the same thing is starting to happen. I'll bet if we started discussing Munster about to sign Richie McCaw and Dan Carter it would be reported in the Indo within a week as "reliable sources close to Munster Rugby".

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    A quick read of the soccer transfer speculation shows that the vast majority of rumours there never have any basis in reality but just fill up column inches of "Soccer coverage" and attract readers. With Rugby becoming popular it seems the same thing is starting to happen. I'll bet if we started discussing Munster about to sign Richie McCaw and Dan Carter it would be reported in the Indo within a week as "reliable sources close to Munster Rugby".

That is exactly what happened with the "Munster pursuing Ben Smith" rumour.

Some guy posted it here, it was quickly pointed out that a) his NZ contract extends to 2016 and b) Munster could never afford him, but it still appeared in the Indo the next day.

The "Jared Payne to Leinster" one was the same, started life as a running joke on boards.ie and before long it appeared in the Indo, next a very bemused Matt O'Connor was being asked about it at a press conference. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

So I hear a rumour that Richie McCaw and Dan Carter are as good as signed. That's brilliant news if true.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So I hear a rumour that Richie McCaw and Dan Carter are as good as signed. That's brilliant news if true.

Well Carter is already signed to racing (and their getting a crock at that)

But Richie, sure why not? :)

I heard he was skyping axel yesterday

Isa Nacewa to Munster. Read it on the back of a crisp packet on the ground in Herbert Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I posted here that Leinster should sign Willie La Roux. Didn't take long for the Indo to pick that one up either. I only made the connection because of the name, it was supposed to be a joke...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I posted here that Leinster should sign Willie La Roux. Didn't take long for the Indo to pick that one up either. I only made the connection because of the name, it was supposed to be a joke...

You posted it here. Someone repeated it on LF. LF lunatic fringe latched onto it and started posting multiple videos of him, stats about him and how he is the second coming.

That grew into people talking about how it was rumoured we were in discussions with him.

Then someone who frequents LF posted here that we were in discussions with WLR.

Indo picked it up and the circle of terror was complete.

Great to see Kikcoyne return from injury

Munster v Cardiff Blues, Guinness PRO12 Round 14, Saturday February 14th at Irish Independent Park - KO: 7:35pm.

Munster: JJ Hanrahan; Andrew Conway, Keith Earls, Denis Hurley - capt., Ronan O'Mahony; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; John Ryan, Eusebio Guinazu, BJ Botha; Donncha O'Callaghan, Billy Holland; Sean Dougall, Dave O'Callaghan, Jack O'Donoghue.

Replacements: Niall Scannell, Dave Kilcoyne, Stephen Archer, Shane Buckley, Paddy Butler, Neil Cronin, Rory Scannell, Ivan Dineen.

Denis Hurley captains the side, a first I think

5 points tomorrow night please Munster!! Warm me up on Valentines night in some way at least!!!

New 2 year contracts for Ronan O'Mahony and Duncan Williams. Delighted with the former, not so much with the latter.

We're also signing Jordan Coughlan from the Leinster academy on a 1 year development contract.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20006.php

I assume this means there'll be no Saili announcement today:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

New 2 year contracts for Ronan O'Mahony and Duncan Williams. Delighted with the former, not so much with the latter.

Agreed, if we have any ambition at all we should be letting Williams go. I appreciate he'll be behind both Murray and O'Leary, but id rather develop a young SH.

I also see we're bringing in a Leinster academy backrow, dont know much about him: Jordan Coghlan

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20006.php#.VN4CdPmsUaw

- ROM: great news! Fully deserves it after his recent form.
    - Williams: This makes no sense unless Sheridan is ending his contract early and leaving. In a time where the provinces struggle to compete with the money in France, Munster have now got 4 senior scrumhalves and 3 academy ones. Williams is painfully average and is not going to improve at his age. It just shows the academy scrum-halves aren't rated. The Cork Con Mafia strike again.
    - Coghlan: Didn't see that one coming! He is effectively replacing Dougall but I think he's a blindside?

HOOKERS

Mike Sherry 2015
    Damien Varley 2015
    Duncan Casey 2016
    Niall Scannell 2015
    Kevin O'Byrne 2015
    Eusebio Guinazu 2015

PROPS

James Cronin 2016
    Dave Kilcoyne 2017

BJ Botha 2015
    Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2016
    Alan Cotter 2015
    Martin Kelly 2015

Niall Horan Year 2
    Rory Burke Year 2
    Brian Scott Year 1

LOCKS

Paul O'Connell 2016
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Donncha O'Callaghan 2016
    Dave Foley 2017
    Billy Holland 2016

Sean McCarthy Year 2
    John Madigan Year 2
    Darragh Moloney Year 1

FLANKERS

Peter O'Mahony 2015
    Dave O'Callaghan 2016
    Sean Dougall 2015 - LEAVING (PAU)
    Tommy O'Donnell 2016
    Barry O'Mahony 2015
    Shane Buckley 2016
    Jordan Coghlan 2016 - ARRIVING

Ryan Murphy Year 3

NUMBER EIGHTS

Robin Copeland 2016
    Paddy Butler 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    CJ Stander 2016
    Jack O'Donoghue 2018

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016
    Duncan Williams 2017
    Tomas O'Leary 2017 - ARRIVING

Jack Cullen Year 2
    Ryan Foley Year 1
    Jame Glynn Year 1

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2017
    JJ Hanrahan 2015 - LEAVING (NORTHAMPTON SAINTS)
    Tyler Bleyendall 2017 (contract tbc)
    Johnny Holland 2017

Gearoid Lyons Year 2

CENTRES

Ivan Dineen 2015
    Cian Bohane 2017
    Denis Hurley 2016
    Andrew Smith 2015

Rory Scannell Year 2
    Dan Goggin Year 1

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2015
    Johne Murphy 2015
    Andrew Conway 2016
    Luke O'Dea 2015
    Ronan O'Mahony 2017
    Darren Sweetnam 2017

Alex Wootton Year 2
    Greg O'Shea Year 2

FULLBACKS

Felix Jones 2017

David Johnston Year 2
    Stephen Fitzgerald Year 1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

budhabob wrote: »
    Agreed, if we have any ambition at all we should be letting Williams go. I appreciate he'll be behind both Murray and O'Leary, but id rather develop a young SH.

I also see we're bringing in a Leinster academy backrow, dont know much about him: Jordan Coghlan

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/20006.php#.VN4CdPmsUaw

He was part of the Clongowes back row in 2010 that conquered all alongside Conor Gilsenan. The two of them were massive prospects coming out of school. Munster approached Coghlan at the time and offered him a spot straight from school as well as Leinster who he decided to sign with.

He's done 4 years in the academy due to Schmidt wanting him to be a 12 which pretty much wasted a lot of his time in the academy. The experiment failed and he is back playing 6 this season. He was blindside on the 2012 JWC team alongisde JJH and Conan and had a fine tournament, scoring a good try against South Africa. He's extremely mobile, with good hands.

He has huge potential but really lost his way in rugby. He was a seriously talented cricketer too and there was a lot of talk about him going to England on a cricket contract also with offers apparently on the table for him to play county level there at 19.

Will be a very interesting one to watch but not sure where he's going to fit in given Munster's resources at 6 these days.

As I mentioned on the Leinster thread unless he turns out to be top class he will be a dirttracker backrow post RWC. I suppose his hope will be to impress in those early Pro12 rounds.

While I welcome him I hope our homegrown products Buckley and JOD get their fair share of opportunities.

Still no announcement on Saili. I will rage if we are signing up squad players but don't get a quality centre.

Does JJ often play fullback?

Does JJ often play fullback?

He made one or two starts there earlier in the season. There's no back three players left so he has to play 15 tomorrow.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement