Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Leinsters team have won more trophies not just the back row

But Munster's team did not win the games, just their backrow?

I'd argue that Leinster's backrow contributed the same to Leinster's trophies as Munster's backrow to Munster's victories over Leinster this year.

Basically his point is silly in the extreme and no right person in their mind would say that Munster's backrow is 'harder to get into than Leinsters'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Stop embarrassing yourself! Stop changing the goal posts! I said Munster beat Leinster twice and that their backrow beat up the Leinster backrow - Munster also won the pack battle on both occasions.

You had your chance, you blue it. (pun intended) - now go live your life, I'm sure your great at it.

Best of luck to Leinster! They'll need it against a top European side - they found that out when they played Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Stop embarrassing yourself! Stop changing the goal posts! I said Munster beat Leinster twice and that their backrow beat up the Leinster backrow - Munster also won the pack battle on both occasions.

You had your chance, you blue it. (pun intended) - now go live your life, I'm sure your great at it.

Best of luck to Leinster! They'll need it against a top European side - they found that out when they played Munster.

Munster aren't really considered a top european side anymore, they're third seeds.

no need for that makes you sound bitter

Munster have been in the top four the past two years - they're a top side - Leinster haven't been.

I can wish luck to Leinster. I meant it. I can decide for myself what's needed! Thanks, anyway!

TommyOM wrote: »
    Munster aren't really considered a top european side anymore, they're third seeds.

semis last two years mate :confused:

shame about varley :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,477 ✭✭✭✭phog

Shame that Varley had to retire, he was prone to give away a penalty or two but by god was able to slow down or rob opposition ball. We've missed him at times since he picked up his injury.

Terrible to see any player having to retire due to injury but losing someone of the quality of Varley leave a huge hole to fill especially with Sherry out too.

Best of Luck to him in whatever his next chapter of life is.

Officials for Saturday's game - Dudley Phillips :mad:

At Parc y Scarlets, 2.40pm Live on Sky Sports
    Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU, 46th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Greg Morgan (both WRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Aurwel Morgan (WRU)
    TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Bad news about Varley - I know we expected this, but the guy must be gutted.

From Twitter

Robin Copeland (@robocopey) tweeted at 6:57 PM on Tue, Feb 17, 2015:
    Cheers for all the well wishes, hopefully surgery will go well tomorrow and I'll be back and fit in not time! X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Real pity for Varley.

I guess the silver lining is that Munster have plenty of time to plan ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

touts wrote: »
    So to summarise the indo article: the move to Leinster before the World Cup now may not happen until after his current contract expires in 2016 when Munster will make him one of their top earners if Ulster don't come back in for him but if Connacht make it to the Champions cup he looks likely to stay there if the IRFU Offer him a central contract in an effort to to stop the likely move overseas.

Whatever happened they can say they predicted it.

As a conn fan I think we will do quiet well to keep him in irk post the World Cup Toulouse tried 2 yrs ago Toulon etc will come, if he is to say I expect it will be Munster,

It's always a pity when a player has played his last game without knowing, without getting that last chance to say goodbye and to savior it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Real pity for Varley.

I guess the silver lining is that Munster have plenty of time to plan ahead.

A signing has already been spoken about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Wang King wrote: »
    A signing has already been spoken about

Creevy? Yeah he'd be a great signing, if accurate .

ROM interviewed by Colm Kinsella of the Limerick Leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I expect the signing of Creevy will be confirmed soon. With Varley unfortunately gone it leaves a group of pretty inexperienced hookers. Assuming they want to stay, I assume Sherry (injury pending), KOB and Scannell will all be offered new deals as Creevy will be at the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hendo12

Also talk of Munster after another hooker as remaining hookers have had a lot of injuries. Gary Ringrose and Cathal Marsh were mentioned as been approached but not sure whether they are staying with Leinster. Don't know when Creevy or Saili will be announced. Can Saili place kick? Seem to remember hearing about him taking a conversion for the Barbarians against Leicester. Anyone tell me otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

hendo12 wrote: »
    Also talk of Munster after another hooker as remaining hookers have had a lot of injuries. Gary Ringrose and Cathal Marsh were mentioned as been approached but not sure whether they are staying with Leinster. Don't know when Creevy or Saili will be announced. Can Saili place kick? Seem to remember hearing about him taking a conversion for the Barbarians against Leicester. Anyone tell me otherwise

He did! Did a bit of show boating (only right considering the game) and knocked it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Gutted for Varley, had so much more to offer. It's sad as there seems to be quite a big number of players forced to retire through injury in the province. Creevy is an excellent hooker but I can't help but feel disappointed that we now need to invest in an NIQ, we have had a load of quality hookers brought through our ranks for the last 10 years or so. I guess it will be positive for Casey and Scannell, to learn from an experienced international in Creevy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

It's gutting for Varley, I think it's awful to lose players prematurely... we've lost a few like that now.

Creevy is a very good player, a better hooker than Varley, I would say. But we do have plenty of talent in hookers and as I said before, I believe it would be a waste of a NIQ spot. Casey has been very good this season and he's only going to get better. If we were able to get a TH prop of a similar standard to Creevy, that could be the difference between winning & losing a game at the very highest level.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It's gutting for Varley, I think it's awful to lose players prematurely... we've lost a few like that now.

Creevy is a very good player, a better hooker than Varley, I would say. But we do have plenty of talent in hookers and as I said before, I believe it would be a waste of a NIQ spot. Casey has been very good this season and he's only going to get better. If we were able to get a TH prop of a similar standard to Creevy, that could be the difference between winning & losing a game at the very highest level.

Where would you use the NIQ spot? We need a TH, a hooker and a centre and if Bleyendaal signs he is the project player. This of course assumes VDH is released.

If I was sure Sherry would return sometime soon then I could agree with you, Casey is doing fine and has really stepped up to the mark. Scannell needs a run of games but would be fine as cover and then we have O'Byrne who again seems fine as cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

phog wrote: »
    Officials for Saturday's game - Dudley Phillips :mad:

At Parc y Scarlets, 2.40pm Live on Sky Sports
    Referee: Dudley Phillips (IRFU, 46th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Ben Whitehouse, Greg Morgan (both WRU)
    Citing Commissioner: Aurwel Morgan (WRU)
    TMO: Derek Bevan (WRU)

Oh Jesus no. The omens are not good.

Anyone remember the two horrific calls from this fixture last year that cost us the game...twice!? Even with a video replay showing James Coughlan clearly preventing Gareth Davies from grounding the ball he and the video ref still got it wrong - they only looked to see if Gareth Davies strayed out of touch in the lead up and failed to notice the little detail that the ball was never grounded after Coughlan held him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nm0fE7i7xs&t=1m20s

Then VDH's perfectly good try at the end was disallowed because of a "hand of God" knock on at the base of the ruck that even on replay clearly wasn't caused by Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nm0fE7i7xs&t=3m39s

Hope they can get clear enough in front so any similar calls won't effect the outcome of the game this time. It's an absolute must win with the crucial Warriors and Ospreys matches up next.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TommyOM do not post again in this thread for 24 hours or I'll ban you. And when you do post again make sure it's not more Leinster v Munster crap or I'll ban you again.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Oh Jesus no. The omens are not good.

Anyone remember the two horrific calls from this fixture last year that cost us the game...twice!? Even with a video replay showing James Coughlan clearly preventing Gareth Davies from grounding the ball he and the video ref still got it wrong - they only looked to see if Gareth Davies strayed out of touch in the lead up and failed to notice the little detail that the ball was never grounded after Coughlan held him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nm0fE7i7xs&t=1m20s

Then VDH's perfectly good try at the end was disallowed because of a "hand of God" knock on at the base of the ruck that even on replay clearly wasn't caused by Williams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nm0fE7i7xs&t=3m39s

Hope they can get clear enough in front so any similar calls won't effect the outcome of the game this time. It's an absolute must win with the crucial Warriors and Ospreys matches up next.

I just don't rate Dudley at the breakdown or scrum time, he's too inconsistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

It was before some of those players had broken through though? Van Der Flier, Leavy, Conan would all have been irrelevant and Butler probably would have been viewed ahead of Murphy at the time. In hindsight, it was a good choice... Butler perhaps hasn't developed as much as people would have liked but I still think he'll become a good player.

The post I quoted mentioned munster beating Leinster twice this year and thst it would be a good move for butler.

God, I hope Ryan can get back now - especially after Varley. DOC AND Paulie ain't gonna be around forever either. Dave Foley and Donnacha would be a good unit. Would people be happy with that as the first choice option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Hated the guy as a player and never rated him particularly highly but any time somebody's career is ended like this it is awful to see. To think he would've spent the last few months doing what he can to return only to be told its over. As someone else said playing your last game and not knowing it is sad.

Henshaw coming to Munster seems to be just a rumour
    Munster assistant coach Ian Costello last night dismissed media reports that Robbie Henshaw could be on his way to the province at the end of next season.

“I read that article as well and I didn’t see one quote which is interesting,” said Costello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Headline in the Indo will probably be: Munster confirm they would like to recruit Henshaw.

What the Indo journalists probably heard at the same interview:
    “I read that article as well and I didn’t see one quote which is interesting,” said Costello.
    “Last week, they were reporting we were ready to sign Francis Saili and Agustin Creevy. Look, it’s an ongoing process. Of course, we would like to have Robbie Henshaw here — absolutely.
    "But he is contracted to Connacht at the moment and it sounds like he is going to be contracted next year. In the future, if someone like Robbie is available, it would make an awful lot of sense to be going after him but at the moment all that stuff is speculation.
    "We have a fairly wide list of names we are narrowing down and inquiring about their availability and we will work out what the best fit for Munster is then.”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Makes sense. I never believe what I read in the Indo. Despite them sponsoring Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

As its the end of next season the move is talked about surely noone knows what the scenario is going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

IRFU on FB just posted that POM has signed 3-year deal to stay at Munster

Neil3030 wrote: »

3 years? Awesome job by the IRFU!!

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33860.php

HOOKERS

Mike Sherry 2015
    Damien Varley 2015 - RETIRING
    Duncan Casey 2016
    Niall Scannell 2015
    Kevin O'Byrne 2015
    Eusebio Guinazu 2015

PROPS

James Cronin 2016
    Dave Kilcoyne 2017

BJ Botha 2015
    Stephen Archer 2018
    John Ryan 2016
    Alan Cotter 2015
    Martin Kelly 2015

Niall Horan Year 2
    Rory Burke Year 2
    Brian Scott Year 1

LOCKS

Paul O'Connell 2016
    Donnacha Ryan 2017
    Donncha O'Callaghan 2016
    Dave Foley 2017
    Billy Holland 2016

Sean McCarthy Year 2
    John Madigan Year 2
    Darragh Moloney Year 1

FLANKERS

Peter O'Mahony 2018
    Dave O'Callaghan 2016
    Sean Dougall 2015 - LEAVING (PAU)
    Tommy O'Donnell 2016
    Barry O'Mahony 2015
    Shane Buckley 2016
    Jordan Coghlan 2016 - ARRIVING

Ryan Murphy Year 3

NUMBER EIGHTS

Robin Copeland 2016
    Paddy Butler 2015 - LEAVING (TBC)
    CJ Stander 2016
    Jack O'Donoghue 2018

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016
    Duncan Williams 2017
    Tomas O'Leary 2017 - ARRIVING

Jack Cullen Year 2
    Ryan Foley Year 1
    Jame Glynn Year 1

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2017
    JJ Hanrahan 2015 - LEAVING (NORTHAMPTON SAINTS)
    Tyler Bleyendall 2017 (contract tbc)
    Johnny Holland 2017

Gearoid Lyons Year 2

CENTRES

Ivan Dineen 2015
    Cian Bohane 2017
    Denis Hurley 2016
    Andrew Smith 2015

Rory Scannell Year 2
    Dan Goggin Year 1

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2015
    Johne Murphy 2015
    Andrew Conway 2016
    Luke O'Dea 2015
    Ronan O'Mahony 2017
    Darren Sweetnam 2017

Alex Wootton Year 2
    Greg O'Shea Year 2

FULLBACKS

Felix Jones 2017

David Johnston Year 2
    Stephen Fitzgerald Year 1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

3 years? Awesome job by the IRFU!!

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/33860.php

POM is Munster for life. They probably only offered him 2 but he asked could he have 3 if he took a pay cut!

• Advertisement

Great news on Peter, it's what everyone expected the only real doubt about his contract the duration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

When the seagulls follow the trawler...

People if you have an issue with a post or poster please use the report function, posts like this do not help.

Neil3030 wrote: »

That's great news. He must have been on the radar of a few big spending French teams so it's good to see a 3 year deal to prevent speculation by the French version of the Indo :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Delighted with the POM news. I don't think anyone expected him to leave, but a three year deal is encouraging. He's only 25 years old, is the established captain of one of the top sides in Europe, has captained his country, and is the obvious (/only) choice for a long-term national captain when POC retires.

Whatever about him being Munster to the core, no smart young player would give all of that up for an easy payday abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

and is the obvious (/only) choice for a long-term national captain when POC retires.

:rolleyes:

Kearney, Best, Heaslip, Sexton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Teferi wrote: »

I wouldn't really rate Kearney as a future Irish captain, and none of the other options would be realistic long-term options.

• Advertisement

Heaslip is 31.
    Sexton is 29.

Possibly 4 and 6 years respectively. You could get 3 years out of Best. In international rugby that is a long time.

Kearney is a leader in the squad regardless of what you think and is the longest option of the four aged 28 a mere 3 years older than POM.

I would see Kearney as an option - Sexton too - but I would say Murray seems to be putting his hand up too

Teferi wrote: »

Kearney is too far back on the pitch to be a captain in the middle of things. You don't want him up talking to the forwards or the Ref when the opposition take a quick tap. Best & Heaslip play best when they get to focus on their own games and are not distracted by the captain's role. Sexton would be a good choice. I could see Sexton and POM both doing an excellent job as captain and I'd say both will captain Ireland at some point in their careers depending on who the coach is.

I would see Kearney as an option - Sexton too - but I would say Murray seems to be putting his hand up too

I actually thought of Murray as an option too but I think a few of the lads I mentioned above would be ahead of him. Plenty of time for him to put his hand up, he's already a decent leader.

touts wrote: »
    Kearney is too far back on the pitch to be a captain in the middle of things. You don't want him up talking to the forwards or the Ref when the opposition take a quick tap.

The ref wouldn't allow a quick tap if there is a discussion to be had. It's a non issue.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement