Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joy riders in Holywell, Swords - Annoying anyone else?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

It seems like practically every night at around 10.30 - 11pm there are joy riders racing up and down the Milesian Avenue between Holywell and the Waterside estate. They are extremely loud and disruptive. Last night they seemed to doing wheel spins too.

I can't be the only one that its disturbing as I live one road back from where its happening so the people infront of me must hear it too, it echos across the whole estate.

I realise I must sound like a right miserable old fuddy duddy, but I just find it really disruptive and "anti social" as well as actually being quite dangerous. You can hear from the sounds of the (unneccesarily) loud exhausts that they are accelerating to well above the speed limit as they race up and down the road. What if they lost control and hit someone walking along the pavement?

In fairness, they only hang around for 30 minutes or so then move off. I'm only starting to get annoyed because it seems to be the same thing every night lately.

Am I just being a miserable old git?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Did you call the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

No, is it illegal or just considered anti social behaviour? If it continues I will call.

I did see that you can email Fingal CoCo with anti social behaviour complaints. So I'll porbably send them a mail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, if they are speeding, then it's illegal. If they are doing donuts or such, that's also illegal.

You need to call the Gardai while it is happening, so they can come and investigate.

There is no point in emailing the council, since there is not much they can do after the fact, without proof of who is causing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Well if they are joy riding then that one would assume means a lot of illegal things are going on.

Possibly no licence to drive, no insurance, car taken without owners concent, driving like complete fools.

I would report this right away op and maybe the cops could stop these dangerous individuals.

I'm one for having fun and that but if these cars are stolen and as said above it should be stopped.

Well if they are out again tonight I will give the Swords station a call.

I think I may have misunderstood the meaning of the word joy ride! I see now that technically it means to ride around in a stolen vehicle. However, I am not suggesting these vehicles are stolen, I have absolutely no evidence for that. The main issue is the noise and the speed.

I didn't want to call them boy racers as its a bit of a stereotype, but maybe it would be more accurate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

They seem to be building a bypass road within Holywell at last. It looks like its proceeding slowly but it should help the stupid traffic flows that currently have to go past the Spar and the new school and all around the housing estate in order to get from the Malahide end to Airside retail park and Swords Rd.

I don't think the bypass will have any effect on this particular issue, except for maybe giving them more track to race round :p

I was speaking to a neighbour about it earlier and they share my concerns so we've agreed to both call the station tonight if they are out again.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

They're usually in Airside at night but I'm hearing them around Holywell/Kinsealy a lot more around 10/11 in the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I use to go to car cruises and some were organised and a lot of fun.

I fully agree the road is not the place but if places were there for guys and gals to show their cars and have a bit of fun legally it would be great.

Even people not mad into cars would enjoy the ones that done the few handbrake turns, doughnuts etc...

There was one in waterford years back and even the cops were down watching on the docks where there were supra's, Imprezas, evo, fiestas anything really that the owner was willing to give a go.

Citywest and just off the naas road there use to be these meets but tosers would also show up with stolen cars and end up wrecking them by crashing and then burn them out now they were complete fools.

I use to go to car cruises and some were organised and a lot of fun.

I fully agree the road is not the place but if places were there for guys and gals to show their cars and have a bit of fun legally it would be great.

Even people not mad into cars would enjoy the ones that done the few handbrake turns, doughnuts etc...

There was one in waterford years back and even the cops were down watching on the docks where there were supra's, Imprezas, evo, fiestas anything really that the owner was willing to give a go.

Citywest and just off the naas road there use to be these meets but tosers would also show up with stolen cars and end up wrecking them by crashing and then burn them out now they were complete fools.

Oh I've no problem with that kind of thing. I just think its unfair to make such noise, late in the evening in a residential area. Sure when I was younger my boyfriend at the time was mad into cars so I'm not new to this, but I swear one of the cars in particular is so loud it gives you a real fright :o

Thankfully the last few nights have been relatively quiet. Perhaps the person driving has gone on holiday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Paulw wrote: »
    There is no point in emailing the council, since there is not much they can do after the fact, without proof of who is causing the problem.

If they're aware of a problem road, they might consider putting in ramps. It's generally worth alerting them to problem behaviour. The council are very good (IMO). I dealt with a lady in there before about antisococial behaviour and she was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

The council originally had ramps in the estate but then took them out. I think it was something to do with emergency access. Maybe they'll put them back in when the ring road opens.

But I suspect much of the speeding is actually done on the R125 leading down to the M1 with the noise just carrying over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

They do have enough checkpoints on that road leading out to the M1 from Holywell, surprised they haven't snagged them yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Fieldog wrote: »
    They do have enough checkpoints on that road leading out to the M1 from Holywell, surprised they haven't snagged them yet...

Malahide Gaurds???? Couldn't find a tap in a bathroom. Utterly useless. Sooner that place is totally shut &them all dispersed elsewhere to actually do some work the better.

I am sure they are on the R125 aswell, but the definitely come through the estate and I hear them get closer, then I can hear them accelerating up the Mountgorry Way.

Anyways, I emailed the council outlining my concerns and I got 3 replies from different departments all saying that there is nothing they can do and I should report speeding to the Guards.

Advertisement