Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gort as a town

Options
  • 07-07-2014 12:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41

recently moved to galway and was wondering how gort is doing today as a town when it comes to just dropping into one of the cafes or restaraunts , im passing through it most days but never pulled in bar to a shop

i see a cafe for sale with legends wrote over the door , did it do well before it went up for sale ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 culinary arts mature

The gallery cafe gort is good, it recently moved premises to the square there. Its worth a mention, quality ingredients, good atmosphere, it cares about what its dishing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sullivans doesn't look up to much on the outside but it's food is lovely! It's our go to place on gort!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Their Supermacs is the jewel in the crown of fast food restaurants in Connacht , Its recently been awarded the Michelin three stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Their Supermacs is the jewel in the crown of fast food restaurants in Connacht , Its recently been awarded the Michelin three stars.
    Their burgers get excellent grip in both the dry and the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I second the gallery cafe food is delicious and I quite like the decor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

I'd be more of an O'Grady's or Sullivans man myself. More grub for your money and lovely grub it is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Dragging this up

Am moving back to Ireland and am considering a Gort base - would like to live in Oranmore or surrounds but my job is located in Limerick and the 20 min saving on commute and reasonable property pricing is very attractive.

Appreciate Gort is a quiet town but how is it in terms of community, schools and as a place to live nowadays?

Would appreciate all and any feedback, am an Oranmore native myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Lazybones

I second Sullivan's.

Lovely food - don't judge the book by the cover :-)

Gallery café good too.

Both are worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

which place is Sullivans? is that the hotel near The Kettle of Fish chipper?

Good location for the drive to limerick - should be doable in 45 minutes.

I often head to Limerick shopping now instead of Galway - easier access.

Property prices very attractive in the Town and surrounding areas.

I don't live in the Town myself (live about 4 miles outside it).

I find it a good location - you have decent access to other towns / cities (Limerick, Galway, Ennis, etc)

just my two cents.

Good luck with your house hunting.

• Advertisement

deadybai wrote: »
    which place is Sullivans? is that the hotel near The Kettle of Fish chipper?
    Correct.

Sullivan's Royal Hotel across the Road from the Kettle of Fish at the corner of the Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Lazybones wrote: »
    Correct.

Sullivan's Royal Hotel across the Road from the Kettle of Fish at the corner of the Square.

ah yeh stayed in it two years ago (two years this week actually). Yeah they do some feed in there

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

The Gallery Café is superb in my opinion.

The place Legends was a rented unit but up for sale by the building owner, I assume there must be some sort of a sale going through or that Legends are moving to a different premises or it could be a case that there is a bit to much eateries in the town for them all to do well?

O'Connors Bakery/Café does pretty well in the area also. O'Grady's & Sullivans are pretty good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Sofa King wrote: »
    The Gallery Café is superb in my opinion.

The place Legends was a rented unit but up for sale by the building owner, I assume there must be some sort of a sale going through or that Legends are moving to a different premises or it could be a case that there is a bit to much eateries in the town for them all to do well?

O'Connors Bakery/Café does pretty well in the area also. O'Grady's & Sullivans are pretty good too.

Just wondering what or where is this Legends place you're on about?!

When it comes to a bit of grub The Lady Gregory deserves a shout now too. I'd actually have it on top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

TBP wrote: »

When it comes to a bit of grub The Lady Gregory deserves a shout now too. I'd actually have it on top of the list.

+1 bar food is lovely. I go there a few times a year and have never been disappointed.

I lived in Gort a few years ago and really liked it there. There seems to be a good community there. (For example, when two Brazilian men died suddenly, there were several collections locally to raise funds to repatriate their remains. People gave generously.)

You also have Coole Park on your doorstep, gorgeous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

TBP wrote: »
    Just wondering what or where is this Legends place you're on about?!

It was next door to Kettle of Fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭magicgal

I am originally from near Gort and have to say that Gort is not that bad of a place to live especially if you have family. Has everything you need ( grocery shops Lidl, Aldi and Supervalu, aib and bank of ireland banks, nice cafés , hotel with nice pool and gym , sports centre at the community school school which I think is used for adult sports in night, excellent and friendly running club south galway AC and you can go for lovely walks/runs in Coole Park.Most people are very friendly - I live in a town roughly same size as Gort for work reasons in Meathjust under an hour outside dublin city center and find the people no where as nice or decent as the people in Gort or decent.This town has nowhere the sane facilities plus have to pay 2 bloody tolls on the M3 to get to Dublin so it's great that if you want to pop down to Ennis or on to Limerick there are no tolls on M18! Plus I reckon at some stage but god knows when the rest of the M18 will be completed and you will fly into galway - end those nightmare of traffic jams every evening on the N18!!!

Advertisement