Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

house martin chicks nest collapse

• 07-07-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Although i have been giving out no end about the guano mess these birds are making on my patio, yesterday i looked out my window and saw 4 little chicks huddling together on the driveway and most of their nest on the ground.
    My kids were upset so i made a make shift nest out of an empty container, straw and bits of their nest and put it with them on the window ledge under the roof eave where the nest was. I closed the curtains and taped up a bit of the widow to remove glare that might put off the parents.
    However it looks like the parents are ignoring them and my makeshift nest and are concentrating on rebuilding the nest.

Anything else that can be done for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Kildare animal welfare foundation will take them in. Parents might have abandoned them, since they are busy rebuilding.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kildare-Animal-Foundation-Wildlife-Unit/267133126640711

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

A bit far away from where i am but luckily the parents have started feeding the chicks again. Quite happy with my diy job now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

Scruff wrote: »
    A bit far away from where i am but luckily the parents have started feeding the chicks again. Quite happy with my diy job now :)
    Excellent. They should be safe now. Hopefully no crows attack the nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

didnt see the chicks being fed in the few mins i was watching this morning but there definitely are 2 of them sticking their heads out and chirping away. Either the parents or a different pair were concentrating their efforts this morning on rebuilding the nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Great stuff! In general, for most species, chicks will be fed by parent birds if they can find teh chicks. The main danger comes from cats or foxes or well intended people taking them indoors. Fair play to you!!
    Hope they do well. They do make a mess but it is sad when people destroy their nests.

Des

• Advertisement
Advertisement