Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sports can be played after a hip replacment

• 07-07-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I understand that after a hip replacement sports such as soccer or football should not be played.

I also understand that sports like swimming and cycling are recommended.

But what other sports can be/can not be played?

What about sports like badminton, tennis, running?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ask your surgeon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    ask your surgeon

I do not have a surgeon :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

iba wrote: »
    I do not have a surgeon :confused:

So who took your hip!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hanley wrote: »
    So who took your hip!?

[pedant]He never said anyone took his hip [/pedant].:o

At a guess OP I'd say any sport that involves sharp movements would be risky.

So who took your hip!?

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Any Mods around to get rid of the trolls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's no trolling. If you had a hip replacement then the person who carried out the hip replacement will be best placed to advise you.

There's no trolling. If you had a hip replacement then the person who carried out the hip replacement will be best placed to advise you.

Did I ever say I had a hip replacement???????????????????????????

Or if you're due to HAVE a hip replacement, the person who's advised you of the need is the person to ask. Assuming that person is a medical professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭statto25

I presume from the replies above that it wasn't yourself OP who had the replacement? The surgeon who performed the surgery and the physio who assisted rehab are the two best people to ask about levels of activity following a procedure like this. Everyone is different. I would agree with the answer above that any sport with sharp or sudden movement would be out.

• Advertisement

[pedant]He never said anyone took his hip [/pedant].:o

At a guess OP I'd say any sport that involves sharp movements would be risky.

Technically, if the hip was replaced then someone HAS taken that persons hip, and replaced it with a new man made version.

But I'd only say that if I was being pedantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,637 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

iba wrote: »
    Did I ever say I had a hip replacement???????????????????????????

Did I ever say you had (excessive question marks)

I used the word 'if'.

If a hypothetical person has a hip replacement they should ask their surgeon about what is and isn't advisable to do after the operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Technically, if the hip was replaced then someone HAS taken that persons hip, and replaced it with a new man made version.

But I'd only say that if I was being pedantic.

Ha, I wasn't actually being that pedantic! I just meant that he never said he had a hip replacement, probably didnt phrase it very well!

Advertisement