Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burned connection

• 07-07-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Started the bike today to give it the once over. Its about 4 days since I started it. As I was oiling the chain I noticed smoke coming from under the seat. It turns out the connected going to my Reg/Rec got fried. Anybody know why this happened? Im thinking I didnt give it time to warm up before putting it into 1st gear to oil chain and the choke was on??? Its not an expensive fix but I could be a while finding a new connector and re-soldering the wires.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Started the bike today to give it the once over. Its about 4 days since I started it. As I was oiling the chain I noticed smoke coming from under the seat. It turns out the connected going to my Reg/Rec got fried. Anybody know why this happened? Im thinking I didnt give it time to warm up before putting it into 1st gear to oil chain and the choke was on??? Its not an expensive fix but I could be a while finding a new connector and re-soldering the wires.

That would have nothing to do with letting the bike warm up.
    Burning a wire like that would indicate too much current was flowing for the wire to handle so it heated to the point of burning the plastic off.
    As to what caused that I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Sounds like your regrec aint regging or reccing.
    New reg/rec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Sounds like your regrec aint regging or reccing.
    New reg/rec.

I replaced it with a mosfet type with the last year. I chance just replacing the wiring and connector again and then take readings with the multimetre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I replaced it with a mosfet type with the last year. I chance just replacing the wiring and connector again and then take readings with the multimetre

Yeah, but it could be intermittent. Did your battery get hot?

Yeah, but it could be intermittent. Did your battery get hot?
    I didnt check battery temp. I noticed the smoke about 30 sec after starting the bike. What gauge wire should the 3 yellow wires going from the alternator to the reg/rec be? Its a cb400 1994 incase it helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its not the wire, it will be the connector.
    When they age and get corroded the resistance builds up in them and they get hot and result in the type of damage seen here.
    I would replace it with a good quality waterproof connector the type that has the little rubber grommets that cover the wire as it enters the plug.
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/Metri-Pack/metri-pack.html
    You need a 3 wire connector for your application.

Actually most older bikes should have them replaced or at least undone and lightly sand the terminals and then use some silicone dielectric grease on them as they are rejoined.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its not the wire, it will be the connector.
    When they age and get corroded the resistance builds up in them and they get hot and result in the type of damage seen here.
    I would replace it with a good quality waterproof connector the type that has the little rubber grommets that cover the wire as it enters the plug.
    http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Sealed/Metri-Pack/metri-pack.html
    You need a 3 wire connector for your application.

Actually most older bikes should have them replaced or at least undone and lightly sand the terminals and then use some silicone dielectric grease on them as they are rejoined.

Thanks CJ. Also what gauge wire should i get?

Thanks CJ. Also what gauge wire should i get?
    I wouldn't replace the wire, it looks OK, just strip it back and fit the new connector to the old wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The wire looks a bit on the spindly side to me but it's hard to tell from the photo.

Scrap the cap!

New water proof 3 way connector and electrical grease should arrive by friday. Ill know come saturday if I need more wire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The green earth wire & terminal could do with a tidy up

I git a 3 way waterproof connector and silicone grease. Never used the grease before:confused: Do I just rub it into all metal connecting parts???

I git a 3 way waterproof connector and silicone grease. Never used the grease before:confused: Do I just rub it into all metal connecting parts???
    Just the terminals inside the plug, use a cotton bud for ease of application.
    Do this last.
    Make sure the wires are crimped well on the terminals they carry a lot of current and need to be good connections.
    If the crimping isn't 100% think about running a little solder into the joint to make the connection good.
    Too much solder can stiffen the wire causing it to fracture over time.

Thanks CJ. Ill attempt it this evening

Jobs done. I can safely say I hate crimping and stripping wire. I could have done with a bigger connector but the one I got done the job. I checked reading from the multimeter and all fine at the end.

I have needed wire a few times now to repair the bike. I usually strip wire from an old cable but I would rather buy in a small roll of wire for these jobs. How do I go about finding out what thickness or gauge wire mostly covers my bike?

Jobs done. I can safely say I hate crimping and stripping wire. I could have done with a bigger connector but the one I got done the job. I checked reading from the multimeter and all fine at the end.

I have needed wire a few times now to repair the bike. I usually strip wire from an old cable but I would rather buy in a small roll of wire for these jobs. How do I go about finding out what thickness or gauge wire mostly covers my bike?
    Usually .75mm or 1.5mm on bikes aside from the starter motor
    Motor factors have 1.5mm stuff usually in red and black but Louis have a ful range of colours if you need them.
    https://www.louis.de/en/produkte/electrics-supplies/472
    Pretty decent selection of connectors as well. Basic but fairly cheap.
    I hate the new Louis website though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I think it might have been said elsewhere as well but for the love of jebus manually spin the wheel. Don't oil a chain with the bike in gear.

Graphic!!!

LINK

Advertisement