Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent upgrade from q6600 build PC?

Options
  • 07-07-2014 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,
    Long story short, I've been thinking bout upgrading my PC , it's built on a a Q6600 ( don't laugh) but still works ok.. I've a 5770 card in there ATM and 6 GB ram. I really only use it for Diablo 3 :)
    Can somebody recommend a bundle from a supplier (mono,CPU and ram) that would benefit (if poss) my setup?
    I would prob factor in a ssd and install diablo on that as well as my os.
    Would the card benefit from a better mobo? I will upgrade the graphics card in another month or so...
    My budget is around 250...
    I'm away from my PC ATM so I can't give exact details on the current build specs but it is about 5 or 6 years old and owes me nothing so!

Kind regards....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Something Like this maybe? It's about €20 over budget, when you include delivery. From hardwareversand.de

ZB9I5FB.png

You could also go the AMD route if you have a decent psu and don't mind overclocking. Swap the i5 for an FX 8320 and put the difference toward a decent motherboard. That's really all the CPU grunt you'll need for the foreseeable future given the current consoles relative weakness. Pair this with a decent GPU (GTX 760 or Radeon 270X/280) and you'll be sorted for 1920x1080 gaming.

Here's a great value upgrade, including an SSD. This motherboard, should be ok for overclocking the FX 6300, or you could put in an FX 8320 if you want a bit more power.

IuzNg1F.png

I'm not sure how Diablo runs on AMD processors though so that's something you might want to research. Some games aren't optimised for AMD architecture (more cores, lower performance per core).

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Aidanspaghetti

Thanks a lot Simi (from sunny Strandhill!),
    If I went with the i5 option Similar would I see much of a difference with my graphic card (a 5770) or would that be seriously holding back the system?
    An upgrade would be in the works but as it handles the game perfectly at the minute I mightn't bother unless it was very prohibitive.....?
    Thanks for your stellar help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

My advice would be sell the 5770 and use all the money to buy a gpu and ssd . Say a budget of 300 is on offer give or take a few euro . You should have 200 for a gpu which would give your system a whole new lease of life .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Thanks a lot Simi (from sunny Strandhill!),
    If I went with the i5 option Similar would I see much of a difference with my graphic card (a 5770) or would that be seriously holding back the system?
    An upgrade would be in the works but as it handles the game perfectly at the minute I mightn't bother unless it was very prohibitive.....?
    Thanks for your stellar help!

Yes, you'd be severely GPU limited in that scenario. The i5 will work great paired with any GPU, but to get the most out of it you'll need a modern card. Have a look at this chart (there's also card recommendations in the previous pages), and you'll see just how far down the table you current card is.

A new card needn't break the bank. Look out for deals like this, posted here and over on HUKD. The best price/performance is found around the 270, 270X on the AMD side & the 660/760 with Nvidia (my opinion).

Advertisement