Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live and what do you like /hate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yes, but the question was how people got there "and were able to stay". If you are an illegal alien, you are not able to stay there, because the very second you pop up on the NCIS's radar, your butt is getting kicked out of the country.

To answer cena's question, I got a green card in the annual diversity lottery.

There are thousands of illegals there and have been there for years. I'm not advocating it here but its a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    There are thousands of illegals there and have been there for years. I'm not advocating it here but its a reality.

There are (apparently) 50,000. I know of one (not local). In the early 90s I felt I bit out of place as one of the very few legals around ! The construction downturn in the 90s, and the rise of the Celtic kitty reduced the numbers (although a few moved to the west coast). But 9/11 really finished any illegal community here. Several were deported after unpleasant encouters with what was then known as the INS. The last guys I know left about 2003, as post 9/11 it is practically impossible to live any kind of decent lifestyle illegally here now - especially if you have kids. It is a reality but it is a grim one, and I see little prospect that it will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Yes, there are. And their quality of life is piss poor, compared to those who are there illegally.

Anyone can get to the US if they can afford a plane ticket, or can walk across a border. Cena asked how people were able to stay once they got there. That is a different thing entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

pgmcpq wrote: »
    There are (apparently) 50,000. I know of one (not local). In the early 90s I felt I bit out of place as one of the very few legals around ! The construction downturn in the 90s, and the rise of the Celtic kitty reduced the numbers (although a few moved to the west coast). But 9/11 really finished any illegal community here. Several were deported after unpleasant encouters with what was then known as the INS. The last guys I know left about 2003, as post 9/11 it is practically impossible to live any kind of decent lifestyle illegally here now - especially if you have kids. It is a reality but it is a grim one, and I see little prospect that it will improve.

9/11 made things harder obviously but to say it finished any illegal community is inaccurate.
    ProudDUB wrote: »
    Yes, there are. And their quality of life is piss poor, compared to those who are there illegally.

Anyone can get to the US if they can afford a plane ticket, or can walk across a border. Cena asked how people were able to stay once they got there. That is a different thing entirely.

I'm aware of what was asked and not all illegals have a piss poor quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well I used to work in the restaurant biz, which had a fair few of them working in it. I got to know them quite well. The day to day issues and challenges that they faced from being illegal, were pretty grim. Their ability to earn a decent living, get a decent job that wasn't washing dishes or picking vegetables, do basic things that we take for granted, such as buy a house, open a bank account, buy, insure & drive a car, get decent & affordable health insurance, get an education etc etc, was all greatly hampered by their illegal status.

• Advertisement
Advertisement