Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Car

Options
  • 07-07-2014 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I am new to this but am looking for peoples opinions/help? I purchased a VW Passat from a main dealer in October 2013 and have nothing but problems with it. It has been back to the dealers twice and is now on the back of an AA truck en route there again today following a break down on Saturday last. I have had the AA out to it at least 6 or 7 times since I got it. I have spoken to the dealer today and informed them that I no longer feel safe using this vehicle anymore as it is unreliable and as it is the family car (my fiancee and 8 month old twins use it) I cannot afford to take the risk of them being left stranded somewhere if the car breaks down again. I am just wondering if anyone else has been through a similar situation to this and how you dealt with it?

Forgot to mention that the car is a 06 and is out of warranty since December

Thanks in advance guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Can you be more specific as to what kind of 'breakdowns' you've had. I used to work for a main dealer once and a woman told me she sold her car because she was fed up being stranded at the side of the road. When I questioned what was wrong, she told me that she'd had 3 punctures in the same month. I'm not suggesting your issues are so trivial but I think you'll see where I'm coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PeteHessy82

Hi. Breakdowns include fuses blowing, electrical handbrake failure (could not get it to release) and last Saturday the steering column lock mechanism failed meaning the car could not start. Also, have had to replace the battery at a cost of 180euro after only 4 months of ownership

They have offered to fix the new issue at a cost of 250euro, following lengthy conversations on the phone they have offered a 50% discount on this and have denied everything of course, saying that the car they sold was in perfect working order...... which of course they would anyway. I have spoken to my solicitor about this also and he said I could have a case if I wanted to go down that route

Do I just pay for the repair and let that be the end of it or do I push them further?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Generally with that age of car you'd only get a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty. Some of what you mention is consumables such as the battery going.
    With regards to the ebrake, as far as I know there was a recall on it by vw. Issues with the software behind it.

There is a really good Independent vw mechanic on the motors forum call George dalton. Might be worth giving him a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

With the money involved and the mine-field that is car purchases a trip to a solicitor isn't ill advised.

Consumer rights apply as you purchased in 2013 from a main dealer, however the fact that the car was an 06 will be taken into consideration.

Anyone who states categorically they know what the out come will be is a clairvoyant. Could I have next weeks euromillions numbers please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

In fairness, you bought a used car. I wouldn't expect these faults with a new car, but some faults should be expected with a used car, the history of which you do not know.

Most of the issues seem trivial enough and isolated. It's not as if the dealer sold it to you knowing the clutch was about to go. The dealer most likely sold it in good faith. You have just been unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also whats the mileage of the car? A battery costing 180 euro? sorry but that seems a lot of cash.........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Halfords might have increased the battery install fee to €100

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

Thats very expensive for a battery.
    Should only be half that from a motor factors and fit it yourself.
    What mileage on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

A 2013 Passat will most likely have an AGM battery. They are considerably more expensive than conventional batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

VeVeX wrote: »
    A 2013 Passat will most likely have an AGM battery. They are considerably more expensive than conventional batteries.

Passats an 06. It was bought in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Generally with that age of car you'd only get a 3 month engine and gearbox warranty. Some of what you mention is consumables such as the battery going.
    With regards to the ebrake, as far as I know there was a recall on it by vw. Issues with the software behind it.

There is a really good Independent vw mechanic on the motors forum call George dalton. Might be worth giving him a shout

If there was a recall surely customers should be entitled to feel certain that a main dealer would have ensured that this was fixed before it was put up for sale?

Advertisement