Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree ID help

• 07-07-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of help to identify this type of small tree.

As in this picture i would like to have these on either side of my driveway, however its a pretty exposed site, would these be 'hardy' enough to survive on an exposed site?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not absolutely sure but I think they are chamaecyparis, which are not generally considered completely hardy in very exposed spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

looksee wrote: »
    Not absolutely sure but I think they are chamaecyparis, which are not generally considered completely hardy in very exposed spots.
    It looks more like a Thuja Smaragd, and yes they would be fine in an exposed site, but they wouldn't tolerate salt spray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks more like a Thuja Smaragd, and yes they would be fine in an exposed site, but they wouldn't tolerate salt spray.

Yes I think you are right Norfolk! I was not familiar with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sandt

Thanks for the help guys!

Do you know if these easily sourced in Ireland and how much should i expect to pay per tree?

Also, i was talking to a staff member at a local garden center and he said that in an exposed site such as mine I would be better to by these type of trees (small ornamental type) younger as opposed to more mature as they would have a better chance of surviving.
    Personally I would have thought the opposite! any thoughts on this?

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

sandt wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys!

Do you know if these easily sourced in Ireland and how much should i expect to pay per tree?

Also, i was talking to a staff member at a local garden center and he said that in an exposed site such as mine I would be better to by these type of trees (small ornamental type) younger as opposed to more mature as they would have a better chance of surviving.
    Personally I would have thought the opposite! any thoughts on this?

thanks.

Smaragd are available in every garden centre. Get them from knee high to 5ft any higher and you'd be looking at a nursery job. They are very slow growers edit for price. Small ones about 8 euro. 5 or so foot about 20 euro

• Advertisement
Advertisement