Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great Boards.ie hack in 2010

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you people really read all your spam emails?

I've had the same address since 1990, used it to sign up for all sorts of shyte in the days before we knew better. Spam just goes straight in the bin, unexamined these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I only looked for it because of this thread :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've had the same address since 1990, used it to sign up for all sorts of shyte in the days before we knew better. Spam just goes straight in the bin, unexamined these days.

I check mine every few days just in case something important was sent to the folder by mistake.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Despite warning people that this forum is not the appropriate place to air your views on AAM, some people thought such instructions don't apply to them and have been infracted. Next person who does it gets banned from Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

dm09 wrote: »
    Actually I work for a Multinational company and get sms from unknown numbers from all around the world, as initially i was not aware the link was spam but the cautious side of me made me check it from a secure environment, but thanks for your concern...

Umm, so do you get structured SMS messages from around the world (like "help, help, our data centre just lost cooling"), or do you get really random ones which could be legit, could be dodgy and the only way to check is to fire up the link on a sandbox machine? If so, I think your multinational company needs to consider a couple of extra layers of security. If you are relying on everyone in the company who gets these messages to be as cautious as you are then I've bad news for you.

z

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

So wait...the breach was 21st July, AAM were aware of it straight away and didn't bother informing their users or the DPC or do anything at all to protect users until it started to become public a few weeks later?

That's pretty piss poor treatment of your users tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭.BrianJM

Yes - to a certain extent.
    Regardless of settings, some trashmail reaches my inbox and some goodmail reaches the spam box.
    In inbox, the sender, subject and perhaps first line of message is enough to determine status.
    In spam box, a periodic scan of sender is usually adequate enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

zagmund wrote: »
    Umm, so do you get structured SMS messages from around the world (like "help, help, our data centre just lost cooling"), or do you get really random ones which could be legit, could be dodgy and the only way to check is to fire up the link on a sandbox machine? If so, I think your multinational company needs to consider a couple of extra layers of security. If you are relying on everyone in the company who gets these messages to be as cautious as you are then I've bad news for you.

z

I work in the digital communications sector and I have a background in IT/Security, I suppose curiosity could kill the cat. :D
    The SMS didn't appear spam at first, It stated. Hey tried sending you picture , you can view it here and encoded link "sn.im"
    I suspected it might be malware so I checked it from a 'safe environment', I'm interested in what method they were using to trigger the malware and I'm curious to how spam and malware is evolving now Email/spam filters are becoming more responsive. I've had a mobile for almost 20yrs and this is the first spam message i've received via sms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

closing this thread as it is no longer feedback for boards.ie

for further discussion on:

Data Protection / Procedures and Policies in the event of a Security breach I would suggest you visit the Information Security Forum HERE

Same place for discussion on Malware analysis techniques but if that goes wrong you may want to have a read HERE instead :D

For any questions on AAM or for anything you want to know from Mr. Burgess I would suggest you take it up in their feedback forum or contact their site administrators / moderators/ techies or whoever is on hand over there :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement